Resource OU Underdogs - The Niche Heat Brigade

Screw it I'll make it right now

Anti-Lead Pivot Hydreigon
View attachment 530314
BUT WHY HYDREIGON?

Good point. So overall, Hydreigon is alright in OU. It's not flashy or anything - it just exists and I won't be surprised if it does drop to UU (where it normally resides and is excellent in). However, HOME has flipped the meta upside down and made previous pokemon amazing while others just co-existed. Off the top of my head, nothing prior to HOME has really gotten better but that's only because I don't play much OU as of late - more so Freedom Cup. However, Freedom Cup has led me into using :iron jugulis: as a lead. Now, it may not seem like much but many factors allow it to thrive as an anti anti-lead. Firstly, it has Taunt - which can shut down any and all hazard attempts. Secondly, it has coverage like no one's business. Meaning aside from Taunt, you can honestly run any of Fire Blast, Focus Blast, Hurricane, Dark Pulse, Earth Power or Hydro Pump (and the weaker forms of said moves like Surf or Air Slash) as coverage against some leads like :glimmora:, :sandy shocks: or :palafin: . Third, it's a Flying-type. :iron jugulis: having a Flying-type make or breaks it in most cases. It's a great typing for a lead overall - being immune to Ground and Psychic attacks while neutral to Fighting allows it to stand up to a lead :landorus: that might anti-lead a more common one like :sandy shocks: as appose to :iron jugulis: and beat it in a 1v1. But the most important aspect of it is its speed tier. Being a lead with 108 speed is actually incredible as you get the jump on things like :iron treads: that might think they outspeed you. You could even run Booster Energy instead of a more obvious :focus sash: as an item to get the jump on a Quark Drive Speed boosting :iron treads: - but this is more niche than anything else and :focus sash: is a consistent tool to get damage or a Taunt on something annoying. The only issue with:iron jugulis: is going to do is trade 1-for-1 with something, but that's more than worth the investment to have minimal hazards on your end and allows teams to not suffocate in front of hazard stacking. Plus any form of damage on a lead is better than nothing and a 5v6 while you struggle to maintain hazards (assuming you don't have a Rapid Spin or Defog user - which many teams can't afford running). But this is a :hydreigon: post about OU, not an :iron jugulis: post about Freedom Cup.

So why did I mention it in the first place? Well, the same basic rules apply to :hydreigon:. Levitate is essentially a Flying-type without its downsides in terms of weaknesses and Stealth Rock dealing 1/4 instead of 1/8 like normally - meaning :iron jugulis: is even more tightened as a pure anti-lead that matches up well into other leads. Meanwhile, :hydreigon: is instead neutral to Stealth Rock and takes the normal 1/8 chip from it assuming you're not immune to it with :heavy duty boots:. It even has a neat Dragon-type with all of its resistances being relevant. Both even pack the ever amazing U-turn as a way to gain momentum. Now that we've gone over the basis for why I picked :hydreigon:, let's get into the moveset.

CHEFFED UP ANTI-LEAD PIVOT HYDREIGON
:hydreigon: :roseli berry:
Hydreigon @ Roseli Berry
Ability: Levitate
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 224 HP / 88 Def / 28 SpA / 168 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Earth Power
-
Hydro Pump / Draco Meteor / Focus Blast / Dark Pulse
-
Flash Cannon / Draco Meteor / Focus Blast / Dark Pulse
-
Taunt / U-turn / Nasty Plot

This thing has gotten coverage for days. Every one of :hydreigon:'s special moves could be used potentially imo except for Fire Blast - which is just raw type overlapping. You could use any of the moves I listed and the weaker versions of them if you're afraid of missing your moves. Earth Power is the 1 move I recommend you always have, although it can be in place of any coverage I mentioned. Note that the speed allows it to outpace :great tusk:, but not max speed :landorus therian:. On the topic of moves, Earth Power provides nice coverage against much of the meta including: :kingambit:, :glimmora:, :sandy shocks:, :clodsire:, :cinderace: and overall being a solid neutral option. Hydro Pump hits the Ground-types :hydreigon: is immune to via its STAB - and its a consistent option if you wanna hit the ever common :great tusk: or :landorus therian:. If you value consistency, Surf is another alternative. Flash Cannon exists only for :iron valiant: or :enamorus: but it's well worth the effort. If :hydreigon: can get in on an :iron valiant: or :enamorus: safely and hit it with a Flash Cannon, with rocks up that has a chance to KO :iron valiant: and probably will KO an :enamorus: assuming it's not :heavy duty boots:. And even if you don't KO them, that's still a damage trade that could mean the difference between winning and losing that game. Focus Blast is an interesting option on :hydreigon:. All of its coverage moves cause some type overlap - so you really could feasibly run it and hit the things you need to. It deals with things like :kingambit: and :garganacl: effectively, and even has a chance to drop there special defense. It could be used, but Earth Power covers move options in terms of the meta. Draco Meteor needs no explaining. It's the strongest move :hydreigon: has, and its a beefy one.This set is bulk focused however, and it could be a nice tech option vs Dragon-types and Unaware users. If you were to run a STAB on this, Dark Pulse is better in multiple situations. It hits a lot of the Trick Room users and other Ghost / Psychic-types for some nice damage. After you mix and match its coverage options, you can use some support tools. Taunt, Nasty Plot and U-turn are good in there situations. Taunt ruins stall pokemon, and U-turn is the best pivot move in the game. And Nasty Plot allows :hydreigon: to make use of its excellent bulk and possibly sweep a team.

But there's 1 more matter to discuss: Why is it Tera Ghost?
Seeing as it doesn't really need to tera due to its bulk living the hits it needs to, Tera Ghost has 1 VERY niche use that just so happens to work extremely well for it: it can 1v1 :ursaluna:. :Ursaluna: is... very powerful. If it gets a switch-in with :flame orb: and Guts intact at high HP, something is going to get KO'd. Many teams can't brute force there way through a screens supported :ursaluna: either without a big chunk of their team at low HP or just killed outright. Enter Tera Ghost:hydreigon: - a mon that resists Crunch pre-tera, and is immune to :Ursaluna:'s Facade afterwards. Actually, it's immune to BOTH of its STAB's after a tera. :ursaluna: isn't a mon you want to have get no damage off. That's the only exploitable thing about it. A Tera Ghost Nasty Plot :hydreigon: can straight up OHKO an :ursaluna: with a Hydro Pump. It can also make it setup all over a :great tusk: trying to Close Combat it. Really, Tera Ghost Nasty Plot go together so well since people assume you'll turn into a Steel or Fairy-type as a :hydreigon:.

CHEFFED HYDREIGON OFFENSIVE CALCS
+2 28 SpA Hydreigon Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Ursaluna: 466-550 (100.6 - 118.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
28 SpA Hydreigon Flash Cannon vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Enamorus: 170-202 (58.8 - 69.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
28 SpA Hydreigon Flash Cannon vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Iron Valiant: 240-284 (83 - 98.2%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
28 SpA Hydreigon Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Great Tusk: 324-382 (74.6 - 88%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 28 SpA Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Multiscale Dragonite: 348-409 (107.7 - 126.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
28 SpA Hydreigon Earth Power vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Torkoal: 214-254 (62.3 - 74%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
28 SpA Hydreigon Dark Pulse vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Gholdengo: 230-272 (73 - 86.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
28 SpA Hydreigon Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Kingambit: 484-572 (120 - 141.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

CHEFFED HYDREIGON DEFENSIVE CALCS
+2 252+ Atk Supreme Overlord 5 allies fainted Kingambit Kowtow Cleave vs. 224 HP / 88 Def Hydreigon: 232-273 (60.8 - 71.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Supreme Overlord 5 allies fainted Kingambit Iron Head vs. 224 HP / 88 Def Hydreigon: 220-259 (57.7 - 67.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Iron Valiant Moonblast vs. 224 HP / 0 SpD Roseli Berry Hydreigon: 320-380 (83.9 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
4 Atk Iron Valiant Close Combat vs. 224 HP / 88 Def Hydreigon: 320-380 (83.9 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Enamorus Superpower vs. 224 HP / 88 Def Hydreigon: 238-282 (62.4 - 74%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Enamorus Play Rough vs. 224 HP / 88 Def Roseli Berry Hydreigon: 270-318 (70.8 - 83.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Tera Normal Dragonite Extreme Speed vs. 224 HP / 88 Def Hydreigon: 291-343 (76.3 - 90%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Guts Ursaluna Crunch vs. 224 HP / 88 Def Tera Ghost Hydreigon: 302-356 (79.2 - 93.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

That's all there is too it. Hydreigon and Iron Jugulis as leads are perfect for me. The fact that it can Nasty Plot as well to catch someone off guard is even better. Thanks for reading this. I've been working on it ever since I discovered Iron Jugulis as a lead a week ago. Not as long as some of the things made here, but it was a headache inducer for me. Really happy I made this. With all that being said, goodbye.
looks cool but please don't use sprites when talking about both hydreigon and jugulis. they look almost the same thing

Glimmora @ Focus Sash
Ability: Toxic Debris
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock / Mortal Spin
- Spiky Shield
- Earth Power
- Energy Ball

I’m not sure how aware people are of this tech, maybe I’m just spreading awareness for an already known set, and I apologize if that is the case. This said, for the current meta I think this ought to be the standard set for :glimmora:, turning it into an extremely effective anti-lead for :samurott-hisui:. You naturally outspeed it and get to break its sash with spiky shield, finishing it off with energy ball without having to tera grass; if your opponent doesn’t realize the situation and opt for a priority move your sash will remain intact, and if they do, at least you have a tspike down.

Additionally tera ghost is extremely useful for spinblocking :great tusk: while spiky shield brings offensive lefties-less sets into guaranteed range of energy ball without the need for tera grass (lefties offensive tusk is a 43.8% ko chance). If you have hazards down that they wish to spin, or if you just have an intact sash, you can generally expect them to click spin (especially defensive :great tusk: who will outspeed you after) since sash is effectively gone to any damage anyway. There is almost no reason not to spiky shield first; bulk up is only a concern if it’s booster speed and you have nothing to outspeed and kill it once your :glimmora: goes down, as without tera you get assblasted by eq/headlong, and with tera you get 2hko’d by any +1 move, so unless you’re up against a rare booster attack bulk up :great tusk: or have already been chipped into range of a +1 move while out of range of a +0 move, go ahead and spiky shield. If spinblocking and getting serious chip on :great tusk: is a high priority you can use next turn as an opportunity to tera and either energy ball (kills after 1 spiky shield) or mortal spin if you have it and need to remove hazards or suspect defensive :great tusk:, allowing you to spiky shield again next turn to keep racking up poison and contact damage while potentially still having your sash intact, then finish it off with energy ball.

Last edited:

ausma

token smogon furry
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Forum Leader
Glimmora @ Focus Sash
Ability: Toxic Debris
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock / Mortal Spin
- Spiky Shield
- Earth Power
- Energy Ball

I’m not sure how aware people are of this tech, maybe I’m just spreading awareness for an already known set, and I apologize if that is the case. This said, for the current meta I think this ought to be the standard set for :glimmora:, turning it into an extremely effective anti-lead for :samurott-hisui:. You naturally outspeed it and get to break its sash with spiky shield, finishing it off with energy ball without having to tera grass; if your opponent doesn’t realize the situation and opt for a priority move your sash will remain intact, and if they do, at least you have a tspike down.

Additionally tera ghost is extremely useful for spinblocking :great tusk: while spiky shield brings offensive lefties-less sets into guaranteed range of energy ball without the need for tera grass (lefties offensive tusk is a 43.8% ko chance). If you have hazards down that they wish to spin, or if you just have an intact sash, you can generally expect them to click spin (especially defensive :great tusk: who will outspeed you after) since sash is effectively gone to any damage anyway. There is almost no reason not to spiky shield first; bulk up is only a concern if it’s booster speed and you have nothing to outspeed and kill it once your :glimmora: goes down, as without tera you get assblasted by eq/headlong, and with tera you get 2hko’d by any +1 move, so unless you’re up against a rare booster attack bulk up :great tusk: or have already been chipped into range of a +1 move while out of range of a +0 move, go ahead and spiky shield. If spinblocking and getting serious chip on :great tusk: is a high priority you can use next turn as an opportunity to tera and either energy ball (kills after 1 spiky shield) or mortal spin if you have it and need to remove hazards or suspect defensive :great tusk:, allowing you to spiky shield again next turn to keep racking up poison and contact damage while potentially still having your sash intact, then finish it off with energy ball.
ill do you one better; mud shot. mud shot is honestly really cool because you still lay out key pressure into opposing glimmora and dengo while being able to follow up on potentially faster switch-ins more safely w/ your powerful coverage. very fun and cool try it out

:drifblim:
Drifblim @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Unburden
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 176 HP / 252 Def / 80 Spe
Lax Nature
- Defog
- Strength Sap
- Acrobatics
- Shadow Ball

Anti Knock Off tech and the only mon to be viable to use the Lax Nature

Ursaluna check

Defog for Support if you do not fight "weak" knock off from e.g. defensive tusk/treads

Enough speed for Unburden double to outspeed Dragapult.

Strength Sap is busted especially against Sucher Punch

I wish I saved my replays, oh well

Laundry (Landorus-Therian) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 192 HP / 228 SpD / 88 Spe
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Grass Knot
- Smack Down
- U-turn

Since antimeta is my middle name, I decided to create a Landorus set that deals with the now popular newcomers, its fellow returning pokemon, and the pre-pokemon HOME OU staples.

The once revered fuhrer of OU may have lost a lot of tools in its arsenal but it doesn't mean it couldn't adapt to the currently chaotic metagame of Gen 9.

I introduce the AV Landorus-T! AV means it does excel at one task in particular — sponge hits from special walls. It's EV allocation has been optimized to maximize its special bulk without compromising its physical defense, and the speed to outrun the likes of Breloom and Volcanion. The investment, on top of AV allows it to take 2 of Enamorus' specs Moonblast after Stealth Rock chip, live a specs Steam Eruption from Volcanion majority of the time, take 66% from life orb Battle Bond Greninja's Ice Beam, and a guaranteed survival from Surf and Ice Beam fired-off by specs adaptability Basculegion-F(outside the rain). But it's not the only thing that this set could accomplish. Its offensive profile and expansive move pool allows it to threaten the majority of the metagame. STAB Earthquake is a reliable tool which threatens to ground-weak pokemons like Glowking, Clodsire, Heatran, and even levitating foes like Corviknight and Zapdos after they have been brought to the ground by Smack Down. Grass Knot 2 shots Great Tusk and deals massive damage to Dondozo. It's access to Intimidate and U-turn further bolsters its flexibility making it worthy of a team slot.

Calcs:
252 SpA Zapdos Hurricane vs. 192 HP / 228+ SpD Assault Vest Landorus-Therian: 100-118 (27.2 - 32.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

0 SpA Rotom-Wash Hydro Pump vs. 192 HP / 228+ SpD Assault Vest Landorus-Therian: 140-168 (38.1 - 45.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Steam Eruption vs. 192 HP / 228+ SpD Assault Vest Landorus-Therian: 336-396 (91.5 - 107.9%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Basculegion-F Ice Beam vs. 192 HP / 228+ SpD Assault Vest Landorus-Therian: 308-364 (83.9 - 99.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Ice Beam vs. 192 HP / 228+ SpD Assault Vest Landorus-Therian: 250-296 (68.1 - 80.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Enamorus Moonblast vs. 192 HP / 228+ SpD Assault Vest Landorus-Therian: 135-160 (36.7 - 43.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

Here are some replays:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1890351098-8ytm7umhttjs31yf0hsd6bdy178vknupw

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1890343964-iaywey7t15z3yydvodbed6d9t2dzyu5pw

https://play.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1890966871-jkiqvbii1qkoom0us5yuk9e2mvh2cgdpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1891423080-wp0zolhpm14jwcms5fvyivndzrs70i8p

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1891552348-w73itxkbapsh267gcqe2x3p3ue63t0fpw

This one is more of a Corviknight showcase but Lando played its role in checking CM Valiant (plus this time, we are facing a high ladder named Mimikyu Stardust):
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1904772084-4kpwt384hpf98dg1cjlw1d96t1xeuc2pw

Lax Nature
- Defog
- Strength Sap
- Acrobatics
- Shadow Ball

Ursaluna check

Defog for Support if you do not fight "weak" knock off from e.g. defensive tusk/treads

This is, without exaggeration, the funnest set I've ever played in Pokémon since Gen 5. Thank you for this.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1908422449 here's me cutting through an unprepared team like butter (also thanks to Morkal's heat Electrode set too)

I just want to say that I seriously appreciate all of you. Some of the sets I've been seeing in here are some of the coolest, most creative, and most unique sets I've seen in a long time. You're all amazing, keep it up! I'm working on some stuff as well, I'll have some more sets to share soon

Tauros @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Body Slam
- Earthquake
- Tera Blast
- Rock Slide​

One of my favorite physical attackers in OU as of late - Sheer Force Body Slam and Rock Slide with great coverage in Earthquake and Tera Blast Ghost (which is STAB both before and after Tera, a nice boon to handle stall matchups or disable). 350 Speed with Jolly and 252 is fantastic, it has solid natural physical bulk and generally hits like a truck against multiple potent OU threats like Clodsire, Toxapex, Baxcalibur, and more. Tera allows it to act as a Fighting lure as well to pick off weakened Great Tusk with Body Slam or to lure in Close Combat from Iron Valiant

:sv/samurott hisui:
Samurott-Hisui @ Choice Band
Ability: Sharpness
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Ceaseless Edge
- Aqua Jet / Knock Off
- Razor Shell
- Sacred Sword

This set is HEAT. It'll plow through fat, and balance too, with priority to provide support Vs offense. It's great for h-stacks, with a spike setting move that nothing wants to switch into ( tusk can, but fears razor shell). This Mon is a near unstoppable breaker, that even dozo can't 1v1. Take a look at this

252+ Atk Choice Band Sharpness Tera Fighting Samurott-Hisui Sacred Sword vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Dondozo: 282-333 (55.9 - 66%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

And since dozo is asleep, you can attack three times before it rests again, so you can 1v1 Phys Def sets too!​

:sv/samurott hisui:
Samurott-Hisui @ Choice Band
Ability: Sharpness
Adamant Nature
- Ceaseless Edge
- Aqua Jet / Knock Off
- Razor Shell
- Sacred Sword

This set is HEAT. It'll plow through fat, and balance too, with priority to provide support Vs offense. It's great for h-stacks, with a spike setting move that nothing wants to switch into ( tusk can, but fears razor shell). This Mon is a near unstoppable breaker, that even dozo can't 1v1. Take a look at this

252+ Atk Choice Band Sharpness Tera Fighting Samurott-Hisui Sacred Sword vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Dondozo: 282-333 (55.9 - 66%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

And since dozo is asleep, you can attack three times before it rests again, so you can 1v1 Phys Def sets too!​
I’ve been seeing this pop up on ladder recently and it has definitely put work in against me lol

Spdef :gholdengo:
Gholdengo @ Covert Cloak
Ability: Good as Gold
Tera Type: Fairy / Ghost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Recover
- Make It Rain / Thunder Wave
- Shadow Ball / Hex
- Nasty Plot / Thunder Wave

Nothing revolutionary, just a very splashable set for :gholdengo: that counters a large portion of the meta while still fulfilling many of the same jobs the physdef set can; just discard any notion of using this set as a consistent spinblocker, but the physdef set wasn’t exactly a consistent spinblocker either considering the strong earthquakes and knock offs coming from :great tusk: and the occasional :iron treads:. With it becoming far more common to include a bulky tera ghost user on spikestack teams as a more consistent spinblocker while :gholdengo: continues to block defog with ease. With max spdef and covert cloak, :gholdengo: becomes an excellent counter to:

:zapdos: — 252 SpA Zapdos Heat Wave vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gholdengo: 156-184 (41.2 - 48.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

:hatterene: — +1 0 SpA Hatterene Mystical Fire vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gholdengo: 162-192 (42.8 - 50.7%) -- 3.9% chance to 2HKO

:cresselia:
+4 8 SpA Cresselia Stored Power (180 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gholdengo: 176-207 (46.5 - 54.7%) -- 64.8% chance to 2HKO (your best bet here is the nasty plot twave hex set as you’re outsped, have to invest 64 speed EVs to consistently outspeed the cress set since cress often bothers to ensure it outspeeds jolly :kingambit:, :ursaluna:, and :iron hands:, and boosted hex will be your strongest move while twave has good odds to help you out-setup on it)

:enamorus: lacking specs — 252 SpA Enamorus Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gholdengo: 156-184 (41.2 - 48.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (make it rain OHKOs without investment or plot boosts and you’re immune to spatk drops, so switching in as it calm minds leads to you taking a lot of damage but killing it)

:slowking-galar: — 252+ SpA Slowking-Galar Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gholdengo: 146-174 (38.6 - 46%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 Atk Slowking-Galar Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Gholdengo: 146-172 (38.6 - 45.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (both calcs are very much worst case scenarios as the AV set is uncommon and max atk is even more uncommon)

Protean or non-LO/specs :greninja: — 252 SpA Greninja Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gholdengo: 170-204 (44.9 - 53.9%) -- 37.5% chance to 2HKO

Special :iron valiant: — 252 SpA Iron Valiant Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gholdengo: 126-150 (33.3 - 39.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

:glimmora: — 252 SpA Glimmora Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gholdengo: 150-178 (39.6 - 47%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Even the rare offensive :rotom-wash:
252 SpA Rotom-Wash Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gholdengo: 118-141 (31.2 - 37.3%) -- 80.8% chance to 3HKO

Additionally, it can check the following:

:walking wake: even with specs, outside of sun — 244 SpA Choice Specs Walking Wake Surf vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gholdengo: 163-193 (43.1 - 51%) -- 4.3% chance to 2HKO (can’t take flamethrower). Same applies to proto speed non-specs wake in sun, and nonspecs sets like sub roar, sub agility, and agility 3 attacks fare worse outside of sun (agility 3 attacks needs a proto boost or life orb to even 2HKO with flamethrower)

Modest tera fairy specs :enamorus: moonblast — 252+ SpA Choice Specs Tera Fairy Enamorus Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gholdengo: 134-158 (35.4 - 41.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Non-specs :thundurus-therian: or specs clicking flying tera blast — 252 SpA Thundurus-Therian Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gholdengo: 123-145 (32.5 - 38.3%) -- 98.2% chance to 3HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Tera Flying Thundurus-Therian Tera Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gholdengo: 108-128 (28.5 - 33.8%) -- 0.8% chance to 3HKO

While on the physical or utility side still checking or countering :garganacl: lacking eq, :sneasler: lacking coverage for it (such as acrobatics), :hawlucha:, and :amoonguss: easily. It’s a spectacular glue mon for balance and BO builds, and I would highly recommend trying it.

Lax Nature
- Defog
- Strength Sap
- Acrobatics
- Shadow Ball

Ursaluna check

Wat. Why. I don't have time for this. Shit, now I'm gonna cram this so far up my team...I need a weed related pun for the nickname tho...

Man, ghosts are eating good!

Ok, I want to seriously give praise and glory to both this thread, and Drifblim in particular. That Weakness Policy set has been an absolute blast, and far more splashable than I gave credit for. But lately, I've been having so much fun with the Tera Fighting Grassy Seed Blim set from the team compodium thread. Nobody sees Tera Fighting Blim coming, it snipes Kingambit, and by the time they can do anything about it, I've already gotten a few Calm.Mind boosts.

Then I saw it had Will o Wisp.

Then I had even more fun.

Drifblim @ Grassy Seed
EVs: 252 Def / 40 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Strength Sap
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp

After enough boosts, I don't really fear any special attacker, and if I can lnad a proper burn, physical attackers are set up opportunities!

A quick match where everything goes my way, but damn!

The march before went even better, but I had Shadow Ball instead of Hex (as I forgot to swap). It worked about as well as expected, which means very well, despite not having the Hex double damage. 3 Calm Minds will make even King feel it.

These are some sets I’ve been trying that I think are heat.

Noivern @ Life Orb
Ability: Infiltrator
Tera Type: Normal
Modest Nature
- Boomburst
- Flamethrower
- Draco Meteor
- Roost

Faster than enamorous and breaks everything.

Meowscarada @ Choice Band
Ability: Protean
Tera Type: Dark
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Flower Trick
- U-turn
- Thunderpunch

2HKOs Zapdos and can help break stall

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
Tera Type: Dark
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Psyshock
- Dark Pulse
- Aura Sphere

Can help break stall, hard to kill for stuff faster than it and god coverage

Roaring Moon @ Booster Energy
Ability: Protosynthesis
EVs: 36 HP / 220 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

Revenges iron valiant and outspeeds rain with a boost

Bronzong @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Body Press
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Protect

Checks bax valiant and enamorous
Can maybe try trick over body press

Salamence @ Muscle Band
Ability: Moxie
Tera Type: Electric
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Tera Blast
- Dual Wingbeat
- Earthquake

Force out valiant and then get boosts

Altaria @ Psychic Seed
Ability: Cloud Nine
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 HP / 120 SpD / 136 Spe
Careful Nature
- Acrobatics
- Cotton Guard
- Dragon Dance
- Roost

Use on psychic terrain. Outspeeds enam after one dd outspeeds pult after 2 dd

There's so much I want to write about Slither Wing, but if I keep putting it off until it's "perfect" I'll never post it, so here's a barebones start. also 1200 player peaked at 1300 lamo so don't listen to me

Slither Wing @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Morning Sun
- Low Kick
- U-turn
- Will-O-Wisp/Giga Drain

Been using this guy as a dedicated Great Tusk and Kingambit counter, general Ground check, and slow pivot. In truth, the fluffy buggy boi is probably outcompeted as a dedicated switch-in by Moltres, as Moltres also walls other key threats like Enamorus, but Slither Wing doesn't need HDB nearly as much, so he can also switch-in without fear of Knock Off even if there are rocks up.

Speed EVs outspeed max speed Kingambit (and Ursaluna). Low Kick always threatens an OHKO without a defensive Tera, and Sucker Punch is never an OHKO threat if Slither is at full HP. Will-O-Wisp and Morning Sun advance your gamestate meaningfully if you correctly read a Sucker Punch, too.

+2 252+ Atk Black Glasses Supreme Overlord 5 allies fainted Tera Dark Kingambit Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 172 Def Slither Wing: 308-363 (82.3 - 97%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Against Great Tusk, comfortably switches into basically anything except Tera-boosted STAB Choice Band, and can threaten 2HKOs or OHKOs with the help of Rocky Helmet and/or defense drops from Headlong Rush/Close Combat if relevant. If you really hate Great Tusk you can run Giga Drain for more consistent OHKOs, but it doesn't really hurt anything else, and Will-O-Wisp lets you stay in on a few things that would force you out, like Brave Bird Corviknight. Non-contact move means you don't proc Rough Skin or Rocky Helmet is a niche plus for the Tankchomp matchup.

Low Kick over Close Combat so you can get into extended trade sequences without getting forced out, and really anything you want to CC will still feel threatened by Low Kick.

There's so much I want to write about Slither Wing, but if I keep putting it off until it's "perfect" I'll never post it, so here's a barebones start. also 1200 player peaked at 1300 lamo so don't listen to me

Slither Wing @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Morning Sun
- Low Kick
- U-turn
- Will-O-Wisp/Giga Drain

Been using this guy as a dedicated Great Tusk and Kingambit counter, general Ground check, and slow pivot. In truth, the fluffy buggy boi is probably outcompeted as a dedicated switch-in by Moltres, as Moltres also walls other key threats like Enamorus, but Slither Wing doesn't need HDB nearly as much, so he can also switch-in without fear of Knock Off even if there are rocks up.

Speed EVs outspeed max speed Kingambit (and Ursaluna). Low Kick always threatens an OHKO without a defensive Tera, and Sucker Punch is never an OHKO threat if Slither is at full HP. Will-O-Wisp and Morning Sun advance your gamestate meaningfully if you correctly read a Sucker Punch, too.

+2 252+ Atk Black Glasses Supreme Overlord 5 allies fainted Tera Dark Kingambit Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 172 Def Slither Wing: 308-363 (82.3 - 97%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Against Great Tusk, comfortably switches into basically anything except Tera-boosted STAB Choice Band, and can threaten 2HKOs or OHKOs with the help of Rocky Helmet and/or defense drops from Headlong Rush/Close Combat if relevant. If you really hate Great Tusk you can run Giga Drain for more consistent OHKOs, but it doesn't really hurt anything else, and Will-O-Wisp lets you stay in on a few things that would force you out, like Brave Bird Corviknight. Non-contact move means you don't proc Rough Skin or Rocky Helmet is a niche plus for the Tankchomp matchup.

Low Kick over Close Combat so you can get into extended trade sequences without getting forced out, and really anything you want to CC will still feel threatened by Low Kick.
I've literally Made an RMT on defensive slither pre home lmao, but your set is better tbh

I had a tough time making Ursa work before this. Grassy Seed makes Ursa beefy, but it's too slow to utilize Swords Dance op. After giving up one it, I tried this:

Puffy (Ursaluna) @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 68 HP / 252 Atk / 188 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- High Horsepower
- Drain Punch
- Trailblaze

I had a tough time making Ursa work before this. Grassy Seed makes Ursa beefy, but it's too slow to utilize Swords. After one Trailblaze, it reaches 301 speed, enough to speedcreep base 100 mons like Baxcalibur. Flame Orb Guts so I don't need to futz around and get an immediate SD boost, and Horse Power i don't need to have a drop to Defense, but I may go back to Headlong Rush.

A game where Ursa puts in work

Last edited:
I like the set but ursaluna has EQ lol
I know, but it's power is cut in half over Grassy Terrain, so I gotta pick my poison.

If I could use EQ, I would probably not even consider Headlong for the set, or I would maybe use something other than Jolly, since Horse Power unboosted doesn't OHKO Torkoal.

Maybe I should try out Adamant Edith less (or no) Health evs...

EDIT: Nope, needs to be Jolly, that and 188 in Speed reaches 301 after a single Trailblaze.

Last edited:
I know, but it's power is cut in half over Grassy Terrain, so I gotta pick my poison.

If I could use EQ, I would probably not even consider Headlong for the set, or I would maybe use something other than Jolly, since Headlong unboosted doesn't OHKO Torkoal.

Maybe I should try out Adamant Edith less (or no) Health evs...

EDIT: Nope, needs to be Jolly, that and 188 in Speed reaches 301 after a single Trailblaze.
How am I just finding out not all ground moves are weakened by grassy terrain? TIL

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Body Press
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Grass Knot

Been testing bronzong more, grass knot 2HKOs tusk so you can keep rocks up. Still checks enamorous espeed dnite bax and a few other things.

Baxcalibur @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Ice Body
Adamant Nature
- Glaive Rush
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Tera Blast

If you can’t be bothered setting up. Tera electric for a better defensive type that’s still good for zapdos. Can lure corv to spam glaive rush when it switches out. Can get hp back from snow.

Volcanion @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Water Absorb
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Flamethrower
- Earth Power

Can 2HKO glowking or force tera. Lures zapdos and tusk. Can spam steam eruption at a decent speed against teams without pex or amoongus. Still good against rain.

So, we all know the typical Glimmoras (Glimmorae?), Sash, Rocks, 3 Attacks. Or if you're me, you sometimes run into the Phys Def Rocky Helmet set.

Now I want to look into a very niche, yet potentially devastating set for Glimmora; Rock Polish 3 Attacks. The aim of the set? Either sweep down an entire team, or HEAVILY dent it. 130 SpAatk is nothing to sneeze at, as we've seen from various other mons. However, my problem is trying to figure out what my fourth move should be.

:glimmora: @ Aguav Berry/Sitrus Berry/Petaya Berry, maybe?
Modest/Timid Nature | Tera Fire
252 SpAtk / 252 Speed / 4 SpDef
Sludge Wave
X
Tera Blast: Fire
Rock Polish

This set just aims to fake a lead Glimmora and just REALLY put on the hurt. Sludge Wave gives us a hit against Grasses and Fairies, such as Valiant, Azu, Enamorus, Hatterene, Meowscarada, Hilligant, Breloom, and Rillaboom. TB: Fire allows us to not get stonewalled by Steels like Corviknight, Orthworm, Tinkaton, and Iron Treads, but also gives us valuable coverage vs any rogue Bugs, Ices, and any Grasses that somehow will ignore Sludge Wave. The third slot can have so many options... Power Gem for a secondary STAB option that doesn't give us much coverage outside of Fliers, Earth Power to hit opposing Glimmora, Rocks, Fires, and Electrics, Dazzling Gleam for Fighting, Dark, and Psychics, Energy Ball for Waters and Grounds, and Flash Cannon for Rocks/Fairies/Ices... There's a lot of overlap coverage here, so it feels like either Earth Power or Dazzling Gleam for the final slot.

Modest Rock Polish gives you 394 SpAtk and 271 Speed, which after a Rock Polish jumps all the way up to 542. Timid nets you 298/596, which outspeeds Adamant Dragapult at +1, but doesn't outspeed Jolly Dragapult at +1. So you can pick your speed tiers as you need to. An alternate spread which could work for purely beating Band/Specs Pult with a single Rock Polish -- but not overkilling the Speed stat, is Modest with 12 Speed investment. This nets you 211/422 Speed, beating Specs/Band Pult at Timid/Jolly 252 Speed by exactly 1 point. It also leaves 244 points to be invested elsewhere. However, if you want to get the jump on Iron Valiant, you NEED to run Timid to outpace Naive Valiant at +1 from Booster. Timid 168 Speed nets you 275/550 Speed (next step down is 273/546.) This would leave 88 Points to put in elsewhere.

An alternate set could look like this:

:glimmora: @ Leftovers
Modest Nature | Tera Fire
172 HP / 252 SpAtk / 72 Def / 12 Speed
Sludge Wave
Dazzling Gleam/Earth Power
Rock Polish

:glimmora: @ Leftovers
Timid Nature | Tera Fire
252 SpAtk / 88 SpDef / 168 Speed
Sludge Wave
Dazzling Gleam/Earth Power
Rock Polish

There are so many options this thing can run for a non-Sash offensive set, as long as you either lead it into something decently predictable, or find a way to get it in safely and scare something out.

I'm not fully sold on any one given set yet, I want to see what others' opinions is on this mostly stale, and super predictable Pokemon and the sets I've theorymonned up for it.

Glimmora @ Leftovers
Ability: Corrosion
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Toxic
- Substitute
- Spiky Shield
- Rest

Poisons everything. Maybe swap in something for Garg or pair with rest ting lu and heal bell blissey. Maybe run defensive sets but not sure what it checks.

Enamorus @ Life Orb
Ability: Contrary
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Psychic
- Tera Blast

2hkos slowking galar and clod, can lure moltres corvillknight and can tera to lure zapdos. Good for fair spam and decent at beating grounds.

reckon tera electric pawmot with double shock grass knot close combat could be good to beat grounds and spam double shock. Maybe electric spam. Dunno what set to run though

Ting-Lu @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Vessel of Ruin
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Earthquake
- Tera Blast

Defensive Helmet Ting Lu is good for keeping hazards up against teams with great tusk. It’s attacking stat isn’t bad and has solid defence when invested. It pairs really well with standard king gambit as tera water + helmet damage gets really good chip on tusk and It saves you having to use gholdengo along side it. Water is a good defensive typing and with helmet you can use it to chip other physical attackers. Screamtail can help with the special attackers it usually checks whilst keeping it healthy.

BijouMode

the forever story
is a Tiering Contributor
Roaring Moon @ Leftovers/Lum Berry/Covert Cloak
Tera Type: Poison/Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Jaw Lock
- Roost
- Taunt

Essentially, you trap a defensive mon, set up to full, win the game.
(Lum could be used to avoid status before taunting, Covert Cloak could be used to beat Garg/Sneasler with Tera)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 0)