Weavile Pressure Stall: Peak #13 1927 ELO

:sv/weavile: :sv/weezing-galar: :sv/alomomola: :sv/ting-lu: :sv/corviknight: :sv/dondozo:

After the Gliscor ban, I found it quite difficult to build any sort of fat team that wouldn't get washed away by either hazard stack or (at the time) :rillaboom: :sneasler: :grassy-seed: offense. However, after remembering that :weezing-galar: is actually a defogger that can go through :gholdengo:, I realized that there is still hope for bulkier structures. With this team, I managed to peak #13 on the gen 9 OU ladder with an ELO of 1927 (the ladder is pretty dead, but I might push to try and get a better peak). Below, you can access the proof of peak (along with the game) as well as the team paste (along with a pre-:Sneasler: ban version).

Before going into the bulk of the RMT, I would like to mention that, despite the team having different win conditions, this teams borrows a lot of concepts from CamiloTD's :KIngambit: + :Sneasler: pressure stall team, which can be found here.

Now, let's get into the team breakdown.

:weavile:

Weavile @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- Protect

The star of the show, :weavile: is back to... stall? With :leftovers:, :Weavile: can use substitute + protect to stall out large amounts of pp. This is especially useful in cheesing our way out of bad matchups, such as :choice specs: :Enamorus:, with a little bit of pivot support. Aside from this, :Weavile: can pressure stall cosmic power + stored power + charge beam + moonlight :clefable: and can finish off a :Gholdengo: or :kingambit: in case these matchups do not go as planned. :Weavile: is used over :sneasler: because :weavile: gets knock off, one of the best moves in the game, at least in my opinion. Poison jab is used over ice STAB to spread status and to poison magic guard :Clefable: on the switch, allowing for :weezing-galar: to neutralize the magic guard ability to rack up chip on :Clefable:. You realistically never tera this mon, but tera poison can be used to resist the rare vacuum wave and mach punch, some fairy moves in a pinch, and power up poison jab.

You can run ice STAB over poison jab if you are fine with not spreading status as easily. Tera ghost can be used as well, but you never tera this mon anyways.

:weezing-galar:

Weezing-Galar @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Neutralizing Gas
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sludge Bomb
- Defog
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

As one of two defoggers that can defog through :gholdengo:'s good as gold ability, :weezing-galar: allows us to not run :heavy-duty-boots: on other members of the team. Will-O-Wisp is overall a nice move to have in order to cripple physical attackers as well as provide constant chip damage against some mons. Sludge bomb spreads even more status, and pain split provides some nice recovery. However, because pain split is not always the most reliable form of healing because it can get blocked by low HP targets and the fact that this team uses a lot of teammates that do not have reliable recovery, we need a wish passer. Tera grass resists ground type attackers such as :Great-Tusk: if needed, as well as providing some additional counterplay against :ogerpon-wellspring: if needed.

You can run strange steam over sludge bomb if you would like to hit common stealth rockers such as :great-tusk: with a STAB fairy move, but this is often unnecessary due to will-o-wisp crippling :great-tusk: immensely.

:alomomola:

Alomomola @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 12 HP / 252 Def / 244 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Mirror Coat
- Wish
- Protect
- Flip Turn

The wish passer of the team, :Alomomola: keeps the team healthy with its high HP wishes. :alomomola: is one of our counterplay options against :heatran:, as well as allowing us to bait some special attackers that might give us some problems. I know I have said that the addition of flip turn would kill mirror coat as a viable option on :alomomola:, but as long as :ogerpon-wellspring: is in the tier, it is not worth it having to heal :ogerpon-wellspring: every time you get trapped by :heatran:. Most physical attackers will switch out anyways, so scald fishing loses its potential value. Tera steel improves our :choice-specs: fairy type matchup, our :choice-band: :Rillaboom: matchup if needed, and our pivot :ogerpon-cornerstone: matchup if needed.

You can run scald over mirror coat if you are fine with allowing :ogerpon-wellspring: to constantly heal itself up. Tera ghost can be used to spin-block if you find that beneficial to the team.

:Ting-Lu:

Ting-Lu @ Leftovers
Ability: Vessel of Ruin
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Protect

A gen 9 classic heavyweight, :ting-lu: is the bulkiest mon in the tier. This absolute titan is as bulky, if not bulkier than none other than :giratina:, which I find incredible. :Ting-Lu: gives the team future sight counterplay with protect and hazards. Earthquake, despite being on a bulky mon, still hits like a truck; :ting-lu: has base 110 attack for some reason, so it can dent common switchins. Tera water makes the :walking-wake: matchup easier.

There aren't many options that you can go for, but you can experiment with the tera type. Fairy is better against mixed :hoopa-unbound: and other mixed attackers if needed.

:corviknight:

Corviknight @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Pressure
Tera Type: Dragon
EVs: 140 HP / 248 Def / 120 Spe
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Iron Defense
- Body Press
- Roost
- Defog

Did you really think I would not run :corviknight:, especially on a team like this? :corviknight: is one of my favorite mons because of its design and typing the fact that it can pressure hazards and defog them away. With pressure and defog, you can effectively get hazards off the field near-permanently, provided that there is no :gholdengo:. The EV spread outspeeds max speed adamant :kingambit: and serves as the primary answer for the early-to-middlegame, as well as being able to answer :kingambit: late game as well if needed. To answer :kingambit:, I recommend switching hard into :corviknight: on :kingambit:, roosting when they kowtow cleave, and iron defensing when they swords dance. Tera dragon deals with swords dance :ogerpon-wellspring: better, but be wary of encore.

You can run brave bird over body press if you want. I ran brave bird before the :Sneasler: ban, but after the ban, I find myself liking body press a bit more.

:dondozo:

Dondozo @ Covert Cloak
Ability: Unaware
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Avalanche
- Earthquake
- Rest

A surprisingly-decent special wall, :dondozo: answers most threats the team could not deal with. :iron-valiant:? :dondozo:. :gholdengo:? :Dondozo:. Covert cloak prevents shadow ball drops from :gholdengo:, salt cure from :Garganacl:, and iron head flinches from :Kingambit:, which I have to thank swellow is stronk for that idea. Curse turns :dondozo: into a formidable win condition, and avalanche + earthquake hits :gholdengo:, :heatran:, :kingambit:, :dragapult: on the switch, and other grass types such as :rillaboom: on the switch. Tera dark beats stored power sets and resists kowtow cleave from :kingambit: if it is not low kick.

This is the mon you can get expressive with. I don't think getting rid of curse is a good idea, but you can go liquidation/waterfall + body press if you want. Whatever you pick out the attacks to be, I recommend that you can at least hit ghost types like :Gholdengo:. :Leftovers: can be used over :covert-cloak: if you want for additional healing.

General Gameplay Tips

I recommend that you try and figure out the set of a lot of mons first via scouting. :alomomola: is a great option for this, thanks to the mixed bulk and ability to pivot, but :ting-lu: works too. You might find it beneficial to protect in order to lock choiced mons into an attack first, then react accordingly, especially against :dragapult:.

Generally, I lead with :ting-lu: if I see that there is no removal and the opponent does not have good setters, :alomomola: against bulkier offense teams to scout the opponent easier, :weavile: if it is faster than the entire opposing team and has a good lead matchup, or :weezing-galar:/:corviknight: if the hazard setter is a lot more passive, such as :ting-lu:.

Trying to defog with :weezing-galar: can be difficult, especially considering many hazard setters match up well against it, but use it like a :great-tusk:: find opportunities to switch it in and defog if needed.

I recommend that you use :alomomola: to absorb a decent portion of the hits, mainly because it has regenerator, :leftovers:, and wish + protect. Sometimes, it is beneficial to go :alomomola: to wish, and then switch into a mon like :ting-lu: or :dondozo: to heal up.

If the opponent is trying to predict around the :weavile: rhythm of substitute + protect by using a status move on the protect, and you need to maximize pp stall turns, try throwing in a random double substitute to catch them off guard, but only do this if needed.

I recommend that against knock off mons, you either let :alomomola: get knocked or, in some cases, :weezing-galar:, but unless you do not need rocky helmet, such as against an opposing :maushold: or a pivot :ogerpon-wellspring: do not let :corviknight: get knocked. However, if :rocky-helmet: is not needed, you can use it as a fairly effective knock absorber.

Threats

:booster-energy: :iron-valiant:: Use :dondozo: and try to beat it, or use :ting-lu: and tera if need be (important to evaluate if you need tera when you do this).

:choice-specs: :enamorus:: Scout it with protect and play accordingly. Use tera steel on :alomomola: if needed. Mirror coat can be a valuable tool in this matchup.

:ogerpon-wellspring:: Use :corviknight: and tera dragon if needed. If it is a pivot set, you can probably get away without terastallizing, especially if it is taking rocky helmet damage.

:gholdengo:: Use :dondozo: + :weavile:, but the hazard game can get rough if you are not careful. Utilize :weezing-galar: as much as you can.

:torkoal: + :choice-specs: :walking-wake:: Use protect :alomomola:, :weavile:, or :ting-lu: to lock the move in, and then react accordingly. You might need to terastallize :ting-lu:.

:flame-orb: :ursaluna:: :weezing-galar: is not horrible into this mon, but be careful. You can use :corviknight: to wear it down, which can be beneficial.

:hoopa-unbound:: :ting-lu: is a decent option, and tera if needed. nasty plot :hoopa-unbound: is probably a nightmare to try to win, if not near unwinnable for this team aside from pressure stalling it.

Replays

:torkoal: + :choice-specs: :walking-wake:: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1995511559-r80lnq9jcy1p4gnql74f1fe30rb72rtpw

:booster-energy: :iron-valiant: + :slowking-galar:: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1990861382

:rillaboom: + :heatran: (win by Dragonite4242): https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1990896114

Unfortunately, these are the only relevant replays I have. When I laddered, I laddered mostly during the time :sneasler: was in the tier. During that time, most of the teams I fought were some variation of :rillaboom: + :grassy-seed: :sneasler: grass spam. I am not going to be posting 15 different replays of me (and friends) beating grass spam.

Thanks and Acknowledgements

I would like to thank CamiloTD for experimenting with a structure like this; if it were not for their team, I probably would not have made this team.

I would like to thank swellow is stronk for suggesting the item of :covert-cloak: on :dondozo:. This is definitely cooking.

I would also like to thank many members of the stallcord server for testing out the team and/or giving me feedback. You can find the server here (I recommend that you guys join: this server literally helped me go from barely 1600 to peaking at 2k once and, honestly, even helped me get better at other playstyles. I believe that if you can learn one playstyle better, it makes you better at learning and adapting to different kinds of playstyles).

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)