Time Out - The worst thing to happen to sports

Have you ever watched a close basketball game on T.V. only to see each team scramble around for a better position to call for a time out? Or a football game where a team becomes dependent on time outs to delay the clock. While this may only annoy me I must say that Time Outs have become to much part of sports and are relied on to much. Am I the only person that thinks Time Outs need to go or receive a functionality change. This applies to any sport where a time out is seemingly abused. Examples such as basketball or football or what ever they apply to.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
There are plenty of reasons to include time outs...have you ever actually played competitive sports?

People get tired, the other team does something new that requires coaching and discussion to beat, etc etc. There are situations where not being able to stop play would just turn games into slaughters, and nobody likes watching lopsided sports games. Even if the Patriots are up 45-10 in the 4th quarter, I'm still going to be bored if I'm watching the game. The fact that timeouts can also be used strategically is just an added bonus, imo. It helps add a bit of intelligence into the game instead of just relying on brute force.

Loki

like seashells
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 7 Championwon the 3rd Official Smogon Tournament
yeah time outs in basketball are just good strategy. do you use one to guarantee a possession during a tie-up or do you save it in case you need it at the end of the game? football though...the whole call a timeout right before a big field goal is pretty bullshit, that should definitely be changed in the rules. there's nothing wrong with icing a kicker but having made field goals called back because a timeout was called on the sidelines a second before the ball was snapped is pretty stupid.

btw chris webber wholeheartedly agrees with your proposition and only wishes that this would've happened 15 years ago.

Just because it makes it less entertaining for someone watching doesnt mean it shouldnt be there.

I think we can finish up telling him how wrong he is.

Well first of all. I've played Basketball, Football, and Soccer for a good portion of my life, competitively for those trying to be cute. I played on traveling teams and it wasn't uncommon for my teams to be heading to state/ championships/ so on.

I was always taught that most things you do on the court/ field should be fluid knowledge. You should know who you needs to be fouled (another thing I dislike) for crucial free through shots. You should know how to play your position and how to respond to the opposing team.
Just because it makes it less entertaining for someone watching doesnt mean it shouldnt be there.
Wow, just wow.
Isn't that the point of a time out to stop the clock?
Yes, but there is more to it.

Alright, lets say that in Basketball that each team receives only one timeout. Do you think that general game play and strategy will change? Of course.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if your losing to a team and have to rely on a timeout to save your ass then something is wrong. You deserve to get your ass handed to you until you or your teammates "pull-it out" and make something happen.

There is just to much reliance on time outs in some sports.

btw chris webber wholeheartedly agrees with your proposition and only wishes that this would've happened 15 years ago.
rofl

Anyway timeouts are an integral part of strategy in sports. I can think of few examples where rules pertaining to timeouts are inherently "stupid"

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if your losing to a team and have to rely on a timeout to save your ass then something is wrong. You deserve to get your ass handed to you until you or your teammates "pull-it out" and make something happen.
Isn't that the point of having a coach? I mean he's there to help the team win Also time outs are pretty good for resting, especially in the nba where you have to use a lot of energy on both ends.

Have you ever watched a close basketball game on T.V. only to see each team scramble around for a better position to call for a time out? Or a football game where a team becomes dependent on time outs to delay the clock. While this may only annoy me I must say that Time Outs have become to much part of sports and are relied on to much. Am I the only person that thinks Time Outs need to go or receive a functionality change. This applies to any sport where a time out is seemingly abused. Examples such as basketball or football or what ever they apply to.
Time Outs are vital to some sports. In basketball it is especially vital to have time outs. Time outs can help a team reset and re-coop if it just gave up a big run to the opposite team. They are also important if you're down by 2 and need to design a play to score when theres not much time left. They can be the difference between winning/losing a game.

Well first of all. I've played Basketball, Football, and Soccer for a good portion of my life, competitively for those trying to be cute. I played on traveling teams and it wasn't uncommon for my teams to be heading to state/ championships/ so on.

I was always taught that most things you do on the court/ field should be fluid knowledge. You should know who you needs to be fouled (another thing I dislike) for crucial free through shots. You should know how to play your position and how to respond to the opposing team.

Wow, just wow.

Yes, but there is more to it.

Alright, lets say that in Basketball that each team receives only one timeout. Do you think that general game play and strategy will change? Of course.

There is just to much reliance on time outs in some sports.
You.... make no sense lmao. I dont think there is any team that can instantly adjust to a new strategy or D that is shown by the other team. Not even pro teams can do that in basketball. If there werent time outs, whats the point of A coach? By your logic, a bum off the street could coach a pro team if there werent time outs. All hed have to do is put the starting 5 out, and make subs (since everybody else knows their position and knows what they need to do)

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Football, to my knowledge, does not have this rule active in the current game. The closest you will ever get to time out is when an injury occurs (whether the proclaimed injury is legit or faked) when the players have a drink and a quick word the manager and/or amongst themselves. I am thankful it is not in football because I want the game to flow without any interuptions; I can however understand why it is necessary in sports such as basketball.

Advertisements affect a game a lot more than time outs do, and if it is wrong to have breaks (which I think it is wrong to have commercial breaks), time outs would certainly be the lesser of two evils if they are wrong at all.

Football, to my knowledge, does not have this rule active in the current game. The closest you will ever get to time out is when an injury occurs (whether the proclaimed injury is legit or faked) when the players have a drink and a quick word the manager and/or amongst themselves. I am thankful it is not in football because I want the game to flow without any interuptions; I can however understand why it is necessary in sports such as basketball.
I am sure they were talking about american football not what the rest of the world rightfully calls football... bah they don't know what real football is.

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I dont know. I watch 2 sports, hockey and mma.

The first you don't even see time outs used every game and there is a limit of one per team and the other doesn't really have any.

I guess in sports that are allowed multiple time outs, it can get annoying.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
The point of strategic timeouts seems ridiculous to me, shouldnt players just be able to think for themselves?

I agree entirely with almost everything the OP has said, but to be fair, I dont watch any sports that actually involve timeouts..

Have a nice day.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
The point of strategic timeouts seems ridiculous to me, shouldnt players just be able to think for themselves?

I agree entirely with almost everything the OP has said, but to be fair, I dont watch any sports that actually involve timeouts..

Have a nice day.
Sometimes players can't see what they're doing wrong in the middle of the game. In that case, time-outs allow you to take a momentary break and regroup. Thats how it is in most sports. I'm surprised nobody's mentioned baseball yet though. Its really annoying when a batter steps out of the box after every pitch to adjust his batting gloves, take a practice swing, and scratch his balls. It only serves to mess up the pitchers rhythm, and tbqh it makes baseball games way too long.

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I am sure they were talking about american football not what the rest of the world rightfully calls football... bah they don't know what real football is.
I know, but this thread is subject to "time-outs" in sports, with "sports" being anything from basketball to cricket. All I am doing here is bringing football into perspective as I let my feelings be known about time-outs. I simply say how I am happy with the fact that football, in England, does not permit time-outs.

Timeouts are necessary in order to create competitive, dramatic endings to games. If two basketball teams are going back and forth, but there are no timeouts for either of them, the edge-of-your-seat final minute would literally take one minute, and leave no time for analysis, adjustment, or just plain fun.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Sometimes players can't see what they're doing wrong in the middle of the game. In that case, time-outs allow you to take a momentary break and regroup. Thats how it is in most sports. I'm surprised nobody's mentioned baseball yet though. Its really annoying when a batter steps out of the box after every pitch to adjust his batting gloves, take a practice swing, and scratch his balls. It only serves to mess up the pitchers rhythm, and tbqh it makes baseball games way too long.
Perhaps then they should learn to.. It seems like you are cutting out a large part of a sport if you dont expect players to do any thinking for themselves..

Have a nice day.

Hipmonlee, I guess soccer's for you. The main spectator sports are... well... generally made to entertain the spectator with flashy and incredible physical feats, not to show off how much an athlete understands a game.

I don't think strategy is something you should undermine in competitive sports, something a time-out accomplishes. You're honestly telling me that time-outs are bad for competitive sports because they centralize the game around gaining a better position than the opponent? That's just a counter-intuitive approach to sports. Sports are played to determine a winner and loser, and obviously strategy is involved to get to these ends. Why remove something that is more positive than negative (aka one thing that makes sports competitive, albeit for a small fraction of your time)?

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
I dont see how it would make sports more competitive. It seems like it would make them less competitive since you take away or reduce the advantage of being able to think on your feet. Of course there will still be strategy, it just will be up to the players rather than someone on the sideline..

You arent changing the amount of strategy in a game. Strategy is just what people are trying to do, while you are playing a sport, you are following some strategy. The strategy is still there without timeouts, it is just forcing players to determine it as opposed to someone sideline..

Have a nice day.

Just thing about how key time outs are in basketball though. If you see a team go on a 10-0 run, or something of that nature, a team needs time to adjust. Do you really want to see that turn into a absolute blowout or actually watch the other team make it a game? Lets look at the Cavs/Magic series this postseason. Do you really think the Magic could of come back from double digit leads like they did in games 1/2 to almost take both games instead of splitting it 1-1 without any strategy or timeouts?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)