The Next Best Thing... [V2]: Set Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
They shared in this level of scepticism regarding Scarfbat... and yet look at it now.

Mazz edit: no scarfbat is still bad :]
Yanmega is arguably even more absurd, considering you can use Protect basically as a free Choice Scarf without being locked into a move, which is nice when cleaning. Yes, Tinted Lens is nice, but instead you can have a boosting item, preferably Life Orb, that makes up for the lack of Tinted Lens. I just don't see what this set does that another Yanmega can't do better. It's like a jack-of-all-trades, master of none Yanmega because it can't decide between revenge killing/cleaning and wallbreaking.

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Infernape @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Earthquake
- Overheat

The focus (pun not intended) of this set is to break down lots of Pokemon in the meta, especially many of Infernape's common swtich-ins (such as Mega-Ampharos or the Nidos) while opening up room for teammates to begin their own sweeps. Focus Punch does heavy damage to anything that doesn't resist it, while still giving some good hurt to those that do resist it. The best strategy is to catch opponents on the switch and either nail them with Focus Punch after having set up a Substitute, as it provides you with some additional protection from whatever may be switching in on Infernape. It even OHKOes Pokemon like Blissey and Umbreon, making it much easier for other Pokemon to sweep (granted Umbreon isn't very common anymore).

252 Atk Iron Fist Infernape Focus Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 914-1076 (128 - 150.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Iron Fist Infernape Focus Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 914-1076 (128 - 150.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Even other physically bulky Pokemon don't want to take a focus punch

252 Atk Iron Fist Infernape Focus Punch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Mega Ampharos: 175-207 (45.6 - 54%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

So, of course, Focus Punch doesn't destroy everything, so that's what Earthquake and Overheat are for.

4 SpA Infernape Overheat vs. 248 HP / 4 SpD Crobat: 174-205 (46.6 - 54.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery

Of course, it doesn't really remove it, but it is still helpful in taking it out. It also smashes Forretress which otherwise only takes 32%-38% from Focus Punch.

Earthquake is mostly to take out Pokemon like Nidoking and Nidoqueen. It also works wonders against Chandelure, a Pokemon that is immune both Focus Punch and Overheat

252 Atk Infernape Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Nidoking: 232-274 (76.3 - 90.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Infernape Earthquake vs. 128 HP / 0 Def Nidoqueen: 210-248 (59.4 - 70.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

This set really appreciates Stealth Rock to punish switch-ins and make wallbreaking easier. Also, like many other Pokemon, it does not like bulky Water-types, so Toxic Spikes are useful for wearing them down. However, CroCune is still an issue as it can Rest off status, so a Pokemon that can take care of it is helpful.

Last edited:
Infernape @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Fire Punch
- Mach Punch
- Close Combat/Thunder Punch

First of all I'd like to thank legitporkchop777 for showing me this set. It basically functions like Sash SD Diggersby does in OU, while making up for its weaker priority with its better speed. The advantage of using this over the regular SD set is that it works better against opposing offense teams than Life Orb SD because it finds an easier time setting up.

The downside is that you need good hazard control but you've probably got that because it's so easy to clear hazards in uu.

Fire Punch is necessary over Flare Blitz so you don't murder yourself as soon as you need to use your fire stab, which is why Iron Fist is superior.

Last move is down to preference - Close Combat obviously hits most targets way harder than thunder punch, while thunder punch can do fun things like have a 50% chance of ohkoing chandy after rocks and dealing with Crobat and Starmie if you still have your sash intact.

Here is a replay of the set in action:

Last edited:
Infernape @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Earthquake
- Overheat

The focus (pun not intended) of this set is to break down lots of Pokemon in the meta, especially many of Infernape's common swtich-ins (such as Mega-Ampharos or the Nidos) while opening up room for teammates to begin their own sweeps. Focus Punch does heavy damage to anything that doesn't resist it, while still giving some good hurt to those that do resist it. The best strategy is to catch opponents on the switch and either nail them with Focus Punch after having set up a Substitute, as it provides you with some additional protection from whatever may be switching in on Infernape. It even OHKOes Pokemon like Blissey and Umbreon, making it much easier for other Pokemon to sweep (granted Umbreon isn't very common anymore).

Even other physically bulky Pokemon don't want to take a focus punch

252 Atk Iron Fist Infernape Focus Punch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Mega Ampharos: 175-207 (45.6 - 54%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

So, of course, Focus Punch doesn't destroy everything, so that's what Earthquake and Overheat are for.

4 SpA Infernape Overheat vs. 248 HP / 4 SpD Crobat: 174-205 (46.6 - 54.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery

Of course, it doesn't really remove it, but it is still helpful in taking it out. It also smashes Forretress which otherwise only takes 32%-38% from Focus Punch.

Earthquake is mostly to take out Pokemon like Nidoking and Nidoqueen. It also works wonders against Chandelure, a Pokemon that is immune both Focus Punch and Overheat

252 Atk Infernape Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Nidoking: 232-274 (76.3 - 90.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Infernape Earthquake vs. 128 HP / 0 Def Nidoqueen: 210-248 (59.4 - 70.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

This set really appreciates Stealth Rock to punish switch-ins and make wallbreaking easier. Also, like many other Pokemon, it does not like bulky Water-types, so Toxic Spikes are useful for wearing them down. However, CroCune is still an issue as it can Rest off status, so a Pokemon that can take care of it is helpful.
I was actually working on a SubPunch set, but I forgot about it (yay Latin hw). I would actually recommend running Stone Edge, if you're ok with the occasional miss, due do the increased damage of it on Crobat (60-70, as opposed to 48-57, which requires just a tiny bit of chip + rocks, as opposed to >2 (depending on rolls) rocks switchins w/o roost

I was actually working on a SubPunch set, but I forgot about it (yay Latin hw). I would actually recommend running Stone Edge, if you're ok with the occasional miss, due do the increased damage of it on Crobat (60-70, as opposed to 48-57, which requires just a tiny bit of chip + rocks, as opposed to >2 (depending on rolls) rocks switchins w/o roost
What Ununhexium should have also mentioned is that Crobat may die after switching if Rocks are on the field.
252 Atk Iron Fist Infernape Focus Punch vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Crobat: 75-89 (20.1 - 23.8%) -- possible 6HKO after Black Sludge recovery
4 SpA Infernape Overheat vs. 248 HP / 4 SpD Crobat: 174-205 (46.6 - 54.9%) -- 11.7% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
+25% from SR

=91.7%-103.7% after two hits of Black Sludge recovery

While it's not a clean or guaranteed KO, opting out of Stone Edge in favor of Overheat still gives Infernape a chance to maul opposing Grass-types, pick on things with low Special Defence (hello Mega-Aggron), and bluff a mixed set. I still think Earthquake provides more reliable coverage regardless, as I'd much rather be able to KO Nidoqueen and Nidoking after they eat a Focus Punch while providing damage that is going to reliably KO Chandelure when Stone Edge can miss and lead to Infiltrator Chandelure picking off Infernape.

Quite honestly, what Ununhexium has there is a wallbreaker. It's designed to break walls for other things without locking yourself into moves via Choice Band / Specs. If that means leaving Crobat with less than 9% of its HP (or even donking it with Earthquake when it Roosts), then I think he's got something worth considering here.

What Ununhexium should have also mentioned is that Crobat may die after switching if Rocks are on the field.
252 Atk Iron Fist Infernape Focus Punch vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Crobat: 75-89 (20.1 - 23.8%) -- possible 6HKO after Black Sludge recovery
4 SpA Infernape Overheat vs. 248 HP / 4 SpD Crobat: 174-205 (46.6 - 54.9%) -- 11.7% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
+25% from SR

=91.7%-103.7% after two hits of Black Sludge recovery
I don't think Infernape will really have a chance to use Overheat from behind his sub, assuming Focus Punch was used to hit Crobat on the switch in. Since Crobat has Infiltrator so it bypasses the sub altogether.

What are the merits of the SubPunch set, if I may ask? Infernape is fast, pretty frail and has access to CC, so why not just use Close Combat twice, plus a boosting item of choice, to smash thru switch-ins, rather than Substitute + Focus Punch?

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Infernape @ Choice Specs
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Fire Blast
- Grass Knot
- Close Combat
- U-Turn

While it seems gimmicky, Spexnape is surprisingly fun. Its mixed attacking stats and great move pool carry the set, allowing Infernape to hit most of its usual counters exceptionally hard. Anyone who is familiar with NP Infernape knows that its special side is as dangerous or more than its physical side, but 'nape is so frail that he often does not have time to set up. Also, choiced Infernape can play a multitude of roles, using its good speed to revenge kill or scout in the early game, and to clean up late game by spamming Fire Blast when its resists are taken care of. You can also easily bluff a scarf with this set, allowing you to take its counters by surprise.

The set is fairly simple. Specs Fire Blast hits surprisingly hard despite Infernape's mediocre base 104 SpAt, and can do some excellent damage against common switch-ins like Crobat (who has an 87.5% chance of being OHKO'd if rocks are up). It also completely wrecks a lot of popular threats, like Nidoking and Krook. Grass Knot is for most of Infernape's usual counters, easily OHKOing Swampert and physical Hippo, and 2HKOing at worst Donphan, Suicune and special Hippo. Close Combat is primarily for Blissey, and to give you a decently-powered fighting STAB that doesn't have totally shit accuracy. You can replace it with Focus Blast if you want a guaranteed OHKO against Empoleon, but as Close Combat deals 80-90%, it's not really necessary. Finally, U-Turn is for scouting and chip damage, and lets you bluff a scarf early game.

For team support, a pursuiter like Krookodile or MAbsol is ideal, as you can U-Turn into counters like Chandelure and trap them.

Some calcs:

252 SpA Choice Specs Infernape Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 4 SpD Crobat: 276-325 (73.9 - 87.1%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Choice Specs Infernape Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Nidoking: 292-345 (96 - 113.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Choice Specs Infernape Grass Knot (80 BP) vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Swampert: 492-580 (122.6 - 144.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Infernape Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Hippowdon: 438-516 (104.2 - 122.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Infernape Grass Knot (100 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Suicune: 248-294 (61.3 - 72.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

4 Atk Infernape Close Combat vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 486-572 (74.5 - 87.7%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

4 Atk Infernape Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Empoleon: 300-354 (80.6 - 95.1%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Lixx

Banned deucer.
Infernape @ Life Orb
EVs: 124 Atk / 132 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Grass Knot
- Close Combat
- Fire Blast

Hi there, I'm nominating mixed life orb Infernape. This is a pretty fun set at the moment. It comes in and softens up a portion of the opposing team at the same time getting a kill or two. With the lack of Victini I really think this set will shine. I will post calcs for this spread below.
Off the top of my head though Chandelure hard counters this set, Earthquake or Stone Edge would be a viable option over close combat if you're worried about it.

124 Atk Infernape Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 546-644 (76.4 - 90.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
132 SpA Infernape Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 120 SpD Filter Mega Aggron: 217-258 (63 - 75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
132 SpA Life Orb Infernape Grass Knot (80 BP) vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Swampert: 385-458 (96 - 114.2%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

Last edited:
Infernape @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Grass Knot
- Close Combat
- Fire Blast

Hi there, I'm nominating mixed life orb Infernape. This is a pretty fun set at the moment. It comes in and softens up a portion of the opposing team at the same time getting a kill or two. With the lack of Victini I really think this set will shine. I will post calcs for this spread below.
Off the top of my head though Chandelure hard counters this set, Earthquake or Stone Edge would be a viable option over close combat if you're worried about it.

124 Atk Infernape Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 546-644 (76.4 - 90.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
132 SpA Infernape Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 120 SpD Filter Mega Aggron: 217-258 (63 - 75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
132 SpA Life Orb Infernape Grass Knot (80 BP) vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Swampert: 385-458 (96 - 114.2%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

And the best part about mix infernape is there are plenty of other things you can throw on to change it up. I personally am trying

(Infernape) (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 144 Atk / 112 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Fire Blast
- Close Combat
- Rock Slide
- Vacuum Wave

Infernape @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Grass Knot
- Close Combat
- Fire Blast

Isn't this the normal MixApe Set with different EVs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)