OU SS OU Teambuilding Competition - Cancelled - On Hiatus, Feedback Survey

Slowpoke Fan

Slow?
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
RMT Leader

This team uses storm drain Gastrodon to help with the rain matchup for this grassy terrain team. Physically defensive Heatran (uses flash fire to beat Volcarona) and Zapdos help ward off physical attackers that threaten Gastrodon, while Rillaboom sets up grassy terrain to assist the defensive core. Gastrodon runs protect instead of earthquake to prevent future sight offences from tearing this team apart since it can rely on its wonderful typing and toxic to stall out electric types (e.g. Rotom-Wash, Zapdos, non-taunt Tapu Koko, etc) if needed. The offensive core is fairly straightforward - Rillaboom and Dragapult form a strong wallbreaking core that can pivot with u-turn while Blaziken is a threatening sweeper once opposing defensive cores are weakened.

Slowpoke Fan

Slow?
RMT Leader

This team aims to take advantage of the specially defensive switch-ins choice specs Dragapult forces before surprising opponents with a choice band set. Ferrothorn, Zapdos and Toxapex stave off most offensive threats in the metagame to give the team some breathing room, with Ferrothorn providing entry hazard and knock off support to chip Dragapult's checks into range while Zapdos is capable of pivoting Dragapult in safely with volt switch. Mamoswine has a unique combination of traits as the ground type of this team - it is a surprisingly good Artozolt check, which otherwise gives this team problems when Ferrothorn is chipped, provides item removal with knock off as well as a near-unresisted STAB combination that can chunk defensive cores for Dragapult to clean up. Finally, choice scarf Tapu Lele provides speed control and future sight support.

A big thank you to cyberacc as well as pulsar512b for advice while building this team :psyglad:

Side Note: Consider running shed shell on Toxapex since this team struggles with Heatran as well as the fact that specially defensive Toxapex should not be your knock off absorber. Specially defensive Zapdos is also a very viable alternative (shoutout to sealoo for this innovation in National Dex), but this would leave the team weak to swords dance Kartana.

Last edited:
I refuse to let this project die in the meantime so I will offer one of my teams as tribute :pirate:

https://pokepast.es/f64801cb7950c167

Basic idea was pulled from an RMT, however I can't find it so credit to whoever that was. Spam status into some of Pult's most splashable checks and click Hex, basically. The team largely relies on offense to pressure stuff like Lele, Timid Dragapult, and Kartana but it has the tools to circumvent their threat with careful play. Light Screen Toxapex helps the team fend off FS spam, Zapdos, Dragapult, and Blacephalon. The team has an obvious hole against Trapper Fini variants and Heatran, so Shed Shell quickly patches both. The Heatran and Toxapex spreads are both super optimized but I don't even remember why they were given those spreads, they work though. If you want to forfeit Flamethrower to get momentum in front of Blissey you can, but honestly I think 4 attacks fits Modest Dragapult better in this team for the average matchup. Blissey will however drain your momentum really quickly so it's a game of chip when you see it. You need to leverage Weavile very well and make the most of Heatran and status spam.

In general Modest Pult is a monster that most teams can barely manage if at all, and when you position it right it does get some insane kills.

Last edited:

pulsar512b

ss ou fangirl
is a Pre-Contributor
apologies for the delay, forgot about this

The next mon to build with is Zapdos
:ss/zapdos:
This titan of metagames from RBY to SS, SV, and hopefully beyond is a force to be reckoned with, whether it goes defensive or offensive. Hopefully you can work with the immense power this mon provides and make full use of it's many and varied bag of tricks

Deadline is October 11th

reminder if this one doesn't get more than 2 submissions I will most likely put this project on hiatus, probably until the end of the fall semester (so early-mid December)​

Slowpoke Fan

Slow?
RMT Leader

Idea with this team is to use an offensive Zapdos set with decent bulk behind it to take advantage of its high SPA and good typing so it can fire off attacks and status or pivot out of its checks. Zygarde-10% may seem like a niche pick, but thousand arrows is unaffected by grassy terrain while threatening Corviknight and Skarmory, two major roadblocks to Rillaboom. Heatran and Toxapex are natural Rillaboom partners to form a defensive core with Zapdos while Dragapult rounds this team off with a timid utility set to take advantage of all the status being thrown around on this team as well as providing a measure of speed control. This team is relatively unaffected by hazards as long as you deter the opponent from stacking up rocks + spikes, so toxic is run on Zapdos instead of defog for more offensive pressure.

A special thank you to Corazan for the spread + set (I tweaked the speed for a bit more bulk as Zapdos can afford to be slower nowadays) as well as Carkoala for sharing it with me :psyglad:

https://pokepast.es/75f0ce4e016a79a0
:urshifu-rapid-strike: :ferrothorn: :dragapult: :landorus-therian: :toxapex: :zapdos:

The whole idea of this team is to facilitate pads shifu in picking off/chipping threats, allowing for pult, zapdos and landot to take advantage. Zapdos plays a large role here as it wears down checks to shifu such as clefable and pex, then being able to pivot out into shifu with volt switch. The offensive synergy between zapdos and shifu carries most games and overall it's a very solid team where zapdos can shine.

1696990244737.png1696990254343.png1696990265884.png1696990278658.png1696990286484.png1696990293353.png
Double Bird + Urshifu Rain

This is a team I built a long time ago, and is based on allowing Rain to patch up its worst matchups and make them a lot more playable, and thus make the playstyle a lot more consistent.

What it essentially boils down to is abusing the combination of Zapdos and Thundurus Therian for two factors, one of which being Thundurus' excellent matchup into bulkier teams, as well as its ability to overwhelm shared check with Zapdos, making it much harder to simply wall out rain.

The team does lack a Ground type, but that's because Thundurus Therian's Volt Absorb is already the Electric immunity, on top of their being a very sturdy Eject Button Ferrothorn to pivot in on and snag momentum from Electrics. In my opinion Rain can afford to bend the rules a bit in that regard because...come on look me in the eyes and tell me Seismitoed is a stopgap to Electric types.

Scarf Urshifu is here to provide both another pivot, specific defensive utility VS Tyranitar to offer more wiggle room with a double bird core, and a means to revenge kill threats outside of Rain without relying on Barraskewda as much.

Again, this is quite an old team, but I still quite like it and think while Zapdos on Rain is already great, there is a small bit of room for exploration on the structure to allow for facilitating it in its weaker matchups, with Zapdos and Thundurus combine helping to accomplish that.​

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)