Announcement National Dex Monotype Suspect #5: We Didn't Start the Gouging Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

maroon

free palestine
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
RMT & Mono Leader

:sv/Gouging-Fire:
Suspect Test Reasoning
Gouging Fire has began its destructive path incinerating its way through the metagame. With fantastic HP and solid physical/special bulk Gouging Fire can easily tank attacks and setup Dragon Dance's. This is only further bolstered by its access to Morning Sun, allowing to tank attacks from powerful breakers such as Greninja and Tapu Lele. Additionally with access to Heavy-Duty Boots it does not need to worry about hazards, allowing it to setup/tank attacks with that much more ease. On top of its strong defensive setup capabilities its offensive prowess is nothing to take for granted either as after two Dragon Dances, it becomes practically unchecked as only Pokemon such as Barraskewda can outspeed it in rain, allowing it to easily attack or recover off damage with little repercussions. Its access to Flare Blitz/Heat Crash, Dragon Claw/Outrage, and Earthquake also give it amazing offensive tools that allow it to pick matchups it wants to succeed in. For example Fire and Ground coverage being great for Steel and Poison matchups, while Fire and Dragon allows it to excel in Flying and Dragon matchups. On top of this Gouging Fire can add Z-Moves to its arsenal from any of the suggested coverage to help blow past checks such as Landorus-T, Mandibuzz, Archaludon, and Toxapex.

On the other hand Gouging Fire does need to setup multiple Dragon Dance's to become threatening, while not having much coverage (albeit still good), meaning its moveset is super predictable and can be played around. While Gouging Fire can tank attacks well that also often comes with a reduce in Speed due to investment, making it slightly easier to revenge kill. Additionally, even after with max speed after a singular Dragon Dance it isnt very fast and many Choice Scarf users or Pokemon in weather can beat it such as Terrakion or Mega Swampert. This allows a good chunk of the metagame to revenge kill it after a single Dragon Dance. Additionally, Gouging Fire is still suspectible to being paralyzed or toxic poisoned, allowing for teams to cripple it in battle. It relies on teammates to help circumvent this, however has access to Healing Wish on both types from Latias and Ninetales.

Gouging Fire is usable on Dragon and Fire teams, both of which it provides key neutralities to such as Ice and Fairy for Dragon and Water for Fire. This is particularly great for Dragon teams as its defensive typing gets rid of its natural weaknesses, allowing Gouging Fire to be an extremely valuable asset in those matchups. Additionally, Dragon teams are extremely common and have very little drawback to use, with Gouging Fire being the biggest threat currently available on the type. Overall Gouging Fire is an extremely powerful Pokemon, with great team support, so we will be suspecting it!

Suspect Test Information
  • This suspect test will count towards the new tiering contributor badge!
  • Reading this is mandatory to participate in the suspect test. The voting requirements are a minimum GXE of 80 with at least 35 games played.
  • Gouging Fire will require a 60% majority of voters in favor of banning it in order for it to be banned from National Dex Monotype.
  • You must use a fresh account that begins with the given prefix for this suspect test. That prefix is NDM5GF. An example name would be NDM5GF maroon, maroon NDM5GF is not an acceptable username.
  • You may not impersonate or mock another user with your account name. If there is any slight hesitation, you're probably better off picking a different name. We reserve the right to null your voting requisites if you are found impersonating or mocking another user with your account name. Moderator discretion will be applied.
  • If you are found trying to manipulate voting requisites in any way, you will be met with a harsh infraction. Manipulating voting requisites ranges from faking your screenshot to asking another user to forfeit.
  • The Pokemon that's being suspect tested, Gouging Fire, will be allowed on the National Dex Monotype ladder for the next two weeks so that we can properly assess its position in the metagame.
  • This suspect test will go on for about two weeks. It will last until Tuesday, February 13th @ 11:59 PM EST (GMT-5).
Suspect Test Rules
  • You are required to make sure that whatever you are arguing for is in-line with the Tiering Policy Framework. If what you're arguing for isn't, there's a very high chance that your post will be deleted.
  • No uninformed one liners or posts;
  • No discussion on other potential suspect tests;
  • No discussion on the suspect test process.
  • Your posts are expected to be respectful, please do not insult anyone.
  • If you fail to follow these rules, you may be infracted without any prior warning.
If there are any questions, feel free to PM myself, style.css, or Mateeus. If there are any questions about the moderation of this thread, you should feel free to PM the moderation team.

Tagging dhelmise and Marty to implement this on the ladder!

Hey yall its me again,

I'm making this post rather late as I've been quite busy! I believe gouging fire is rather probematic in the current state of affairs. Dragon is without a doubt the top type in NDM with the introduction of both Gouging fire and Archduralon. It's ability to single handely force matches that the type otherwise would not be able to win at the swing of a dragon dance is quite insane. When its bulk is put into perspective for the tier with its offensive capabilties, one may think that this was a legendary we are talking about. It's ability to do anything and everything is just entirely too much. For example, from a game myself played it was able to survive +2 252 SpA Iron Crown Stored Power (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gouging Fire: 330-388 (79.7 - 93.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO and ohko'd back with no investment 0 Atk Gouging Fire Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Iron Crown: 290-344 (90.3 - 107.1%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO. (Now don't look at me for using iron crown!). Don't even get me started if its invested on the physical side! 252 Atk Choice Band Excadrill Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gouging Fire: 318-374 (76.8 - 90.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO. It always ohkos back (yes it dies right afterwards, but who cares you just removed the biggest threat in the game for the remaining 5 mons to wreck havoic.

I was on the fence with this pokemon in the tier for quite the duration of the suspect test. I still do feel a bit mixed on if i'd keep it in the tier because while it is a mon that can do everything on paper, does it really? It can survive some pretty massive attacks at full investment and still ohko things that it has a super effective move for. Most of the time its hitting something for neutral damage, however this is all that it needs. So what I want to leave yall this time around is that I believe that this is very problematic for any player to deal with. It's ability to not die and usually claim 2-4 lives in the process of taking it down. Even if you feel like it shouldn't go at all I do encourage y'all to look at what it does defensively, and ( I haven't talked about offenses because I think that is self explantory (click dd something goes boom)).

Thanks, Sorry it's not a 4 page letter didn't have time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)