Projects National Dex DOU Teambuilding Competition!!!!! (Week Eighteen: Lando I)

big pichu

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator
This week: Mega-Charizard-Y!

0aa78a0061bda9d88cbb0bbf739cd9cc56522fe9.png

Great is the sun, and wide he goes
Through empty heaven without repose;
And in the blue and glowing days
More thick than rain he showers his rays.

--Summer Sun, Robert Louis Stevenson.

Sun has been somewhat contentious in the earliest parts of ND DOU, with Mega-Charizard Y's access to Tailwind pairing with its sky high Special Attack making it far more potent than any other sun setter. Sun boosting the ancient Paradox mons can give a variety of extremely strong offensive threats that can be extremely difficult to barrel past. However, Sun's viability seems to have fallen in many people's views, despite commonly being viewed as an extremely powerful archetype by other players. This is an unusual selection and admittedly one that I was somewhat apprehensive about making -- for one thing, we know that Mega Charizard Y is extremely powerful and there's a few Pokemon that have been shown to be massive fans of Mega Charizard Y. However, I do think there's space for creative and exciting Sun teams, and I do want to see people prove this archetypes strengths by optimizing it, or at the very least create new and exciting teams that show off interesting options provided by Sun.

I'm incredibly excited to see what people come up with.

Teambuilding lasts until Friday, October 13th 2023, at 11:59 UTC (8PM US Eastern).
Voting will last for 48 hours after that.

:charizard-mega-y: - :chi-yu: - :flutter-mane: - :ogerpon-hearthflame: - :rillaboom: - :walking-wake:

:charizard-mega-y:
This charizard has tailwind, because the tailwind is a big boost to the team and air slash is useful as a STAB Solar beam can put a big warning on water types and Rock types that dare think having a good matchup against the team. Air slash is useful as a stab that can hit fighting types that are pretty common and a way to hit urshifu-rapid-strikes:urshifu: outside of sun. also, you can put protect since charizard needs a turn to tailwind while it can be attacked. Predicting that, ennemy may focus on chatizard to avoir tailwinding while your partner kills em

:chi-yu:
This fish has the ability of transforming its allies from damage generator to automatic destruction generator. Beads of ruin lowers special defense of All surrounding opponents, including its partner. Risky but has more avantages than flaws and the offensive mon can both destroy ennemies and support its allies into auto-death button. Heat wave is to damage importantly both ennemies at once, and breaking sashes If needed. Dark pulse is to give stab and options to kill the many psychic type pokemon that would try to embarass the team, like by setting trick room:wo:. Next, Overheat. this move is here to give a LOT of damages at Once, to finish a game pr to eliminate An opressing menace. Then you have psychic to give this 40cm fish a way to hit 2m tall bears :urshifu: that want to tear appart their lives. this is scarf so it can hit faster than marshadow, chien pao, flutter mane or litteraly everything so it destroys With efficiency opponing teams, and allow speed control even outside tailwind, alongside With flutter mane.

:flutter-mane:
This pokemon proved itself as a top tier With An oppressive presence in the tier, immediatly nerfing dark, fighting, psychic and dragon types. Its overwhelming special attack and typing combined to Its superb protosynthesis-boosted speed lets it be the top tier mon alongside With rillaboom. dazzling gleam is a "fun" way to suppress opponents' health bar while moonblast is a free wave of damages. shadow ball ruins psychic and ghost types, and mystical fire both lower opponent's spatk, hits steel types and is a pseudo-stab under sun. Life Orb gives it a choiceless but boosted offensive force, but specs can replace it.

:ogerpon-hearthflame:
This cute girl UwU proven itself as a viable pokemon under sun. It has An acceptable movepool, so no pokemon can wall It so easely and Still fit very well to the meta, while its attack is gpod and gets boosted (*1.2) by the hearthflame mask (it's the moves' power that is boosted but that is still a *1.2 boost) and its bulk is very acceptable while its speed is ok-good. Ivy Cudgel X Mold breaker lets It gET thrpugh Tera grass heatran while stomping tantrum lets It pass thrpugh non tera'd, and these two moves make All existing steel types surrender, while grassy glide is a good way to abuse grassy terrain and gives a *supereffective* way to pass thrpugh water types. swords dance is There to inflict misery to whoever lets It Cook by using protect.of focusing on an ally.

:rillaboom:
This pokemon proved itself as a top tier pokemon immediatly nerfing water, Rock and Ground types in the tier, giving teams fake out, powerful priority in grassy glide and sometimes pivot With U-turn, altho it's not the case here. Here, I chose High-Horsepower so It could hit more than Just three types of pokemon. Also, it's still up to you to put U-turn in that slot. I made my choice to adapt my stile of playing, you can make your choices too. Then this big viable monkey also has wood hammer, main stab, lets It hit like a big truck while assault vest comes give It some air so It can actually stop worrying about fm's dazzling gleams or defensive pokemon's special attacks, while grassy terrain gives passive recovery.

:walking-wake:
The sixth wheel, the backup bro We need so We can reallt cope witg anything. Most of the team's frequent weaknesses have their resistor: walking wake. The ancient Dino gives everyone a bog lesson of behaviour. while Dragon pulse, hydro steamand Draco meteor are used as auto-delete button, you can rely on weather ball to be powerfuller than flamethrower and give The global needed coverage, specs give a bigger boost and the spread Will let you proto speed (be fast), and tge minimum defense invest match the fact that most priorities (basically All attacks it'll take are physical

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Heat Wave
- Tailwind
- Solar Beam
- Air Slash

Chi-Yu @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beads of Ruin
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Heat Wave
- Overheat
- Psychic

Flutter Mane @ Life Orb
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Fairy
Timid Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Moonblast
- Mystical Fire
- Shadow Ball

Ogerpon-Hearthflame (F) @ Hearthflame Mask
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Ivy Cudgel
- Stomping Tantrum
- Grassy Glide
- Swords Dance

Rillaboom @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 112 HP / 252 Atk / 144 Def
Jolly Nature
- High Horsepower
- Wood Hammer
- Grassy Glide
- Fake Out

Walking Wake @ Choice Specs
Ability: Protosynthesis
EVs: 8 HP / 4 Def / 244 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Hydro Steam
- Weather Ball

Last edited:

big pichu

This week: Zamazenta (without Zygarde)!

But of thee it shall be said,
This dog watched beside a bed
Day and night unweary, —
Watched within a curtained room,
Where no sunbeam brake the gloom
Round the sick and dreary.

-- To Flush, My Dog, Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Zamazenta has built up a reputation as being a difficult Pokemon to deal with, due to its wide coverage, ability to provide excellent support with screens and Coaching, and its extremely high bulk. Zamazenta has a lot of options as well, and the offensive variants have gotten relatively little attention, despite that this Pokemon has some sky high stats and boatloads of coverage. Will you be able to showcase the power of the dog?

Additionally, Zamazenta has been seen next to Zygarde a lot, and Zygarde is generally a fantastic partner for Zamazenta of course, but we've heard that song already. Can this dog stand on its own four feet?

Round ends on Sunday, October 29th 2023, at 11:59 UTC (8PM US Eastern).
Voting will last 48 hours after that. Your teams cannot contain Zygarde.

Concept Everything

Neko no Ensekan
is a Pre-Contributor
Firstly, I’d like to say putting limitations on teambuilding is a great step for advancing the tiers teambuilding competition. With the prevalence of both Zygarde and Zamazenta you can easily slot them on every team which makes building feel a lot more linear. As you can always include them this guarantees the team will be viable to some degree regardless of the other 4 Pokémon in the paste or whatever the team is built around.

While creating this team I wanted to build it around a vastly underused Pokémon within the metagame, Dragapult. Although Dragapult has a great speed tier and offensive typing it’s bad defensive typing and inferiority to the other Pokémon that share it’s typing in the metagame made me want to build specifically around it. This isn’t a very in depth analysis on the team, so I just wrote some short descriptions for the mons.

The Advent of Toothless

:Dragapult:
Toothless (Dragapult) @ Dragon Fang
Ability: Clear Body
Tera Type: Dragon
EVs: 48 HP / 252 Atk / 208 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Darts
- Phantom Force
- Protect

The thing that specifically made me want to build with this Pokémon in mind is how Dragon Darts works in doubles formats, selective targetting is a very unique aspect that I believe this is the only move that has it; when a Pokémon clicks protect or is immune, this means that both hits of Dragon Darts hit the Pokémon that is not immune or protected. I built it similarly to a pseudo Zygarde and it can both setup and sweep fairly easy. The speed is to outspeed specifically Iron Bundle and to be outsped by 410 Speed Zamazenta. Phantom Force can be replaced with Steel Wing to have a positive OHKO roll against substitute defensive energy booster Flutter

:Zamazenta:
The Honored One (Zamazenta) @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Dauntless Shield
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 Atk / 12 SpD / 244 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Coaching
- Iron Head
- Wide Guard
- Close Combat

IMO Zamazenta is the best offensive support Pokémon within the metagame, being able to outspeed common threats and OHKO them, Zamazenta is also the perfect support pokemon to any offensive dragon being able to outspeed every dragon bar Dragapult with speed investment. This set is pretty common imo and actively helps Dragapult setup and sweep by being incredibly defensive and OHKOing the Pokémon that Dragapult cannot with Dragon Darts.

:tornadus:
Frostbite (Tornadus) (M) @ Covert Cloak
Ability: Prankster
Tera Type: Flying
Timid Nature
- Bleakwind Storm
- Tailwind
- Icy Wind
- Focus Blast

This Pokémon is primarily here to go against opposing tailwind teams, letting you setup tailwind and lowering the opposing teams speed as well. It also helps into the flutter mane matchup, allowing you to lead it with Zama and instantly OHKOing opposing flutter with iron head.

:Cresselia:
Lunatic’s Dancer (Cresselia) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 80 SpA / 4 SpD / 28 Spe
Modest Nature
- Ally Switch
- Lunar Blessing
- Psychic
- Calm Mind

Another Pokémon on the team to extrapolate the offensiveness of Dragapult and to also receive the defensive utility from Zamazenta. Zama helps Cress setup defensively and can offensively pressure Pokémon Cresselia cannot touch which helps in the event that you setup with Cresselia and attempt to sweep with it.

:Rillaboom:
Return to Monke (Rillaboom) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Atk / 52 Def / 128 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Wood Hammer
- U-turn
- Brick Break

This is just the standard regular DOU Rilla set pre dlc, I was too lazy to change it. It’s mainly here for the defensiveness of Grassy Terrain and Fake Out momentum.

:chi-yu:
Feeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh (Chi-Yu) @ Grassy Seed
Ability: Beads of Ruin
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 68 Def / 252 SpA / 188 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Dark Pulse
- Protect
- Nasty Plot

I just thought that Chi-Yu fit very well into the offensive structure of the team and wanted to use it on the team. It doesn’t give very much support other than being a kill switch under tailwind.

:Dragapult: :Zamazenta: :tornadus: :Cresselia: :Rillaboom: :chi-yu:

GuantanamoBayGuard (Tapu Fini) @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Muddy Water
- Moonblast
- Protect
Tapu Fini is probably the best Tapu in this format, dealing very well with a lot of the threat such as Chi Yu, Zygarde, Chien Pao and some Mence sets. The main problem with Fini is it's weakness to Rilaboom, unless it has either support or won the terrain war and set up a calm mind are going to lose

HandsRatedE (Iron Hands) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Quark Drive
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Drain Punch
- Wild Charge
- Heavy Slam
Probably the best support Mon on this format, the sheer utility that Brian Hands brings is close to none

SwordOfRome (Aegislash) @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Stance Change
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 162 HP / 60 Def / 178 SpA / 108 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Shadow Ball
- Wide Guard
- Flash Cannon
- King's Shield
The Mon I originally build this team around, Aegislash has a lot of cool traits that need can be tailored to your team desires, as long as you have the patience to EV'd it to do so. This spread can live a max Special Attacks specs flutter(barely) and OHKO it back with Never Ending Nightmare. If you can force 1v1's well this is a great Mon. It also walls Zygarde

GenieOfWar (Landorus-Therian) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 178 HP / 168 Atk / 162 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stomping Tantrum
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
- Knock Off
EV'd to live a iron bundle freeze dry and hit it as hard as possible back, this have a lot of thought behind this pick except good Intimidate support+ good overall damage

ScreamingLizards (Salamence-Mega) @ Salamencite
Tera Type: dragon
EVs: 152 HP / 104 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Double-Edge
- Protect
- Tailwind
It's a mixed Mence, what else do I have to say? It's bulky because I like bulky offense

FuckUGambit (Zamazenta) @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Body Press
- Heavy Slam
- Coaching
- Wide Guard
The name says it all, this is your second wide guard support and also your Gambit check, Incin answer and with tera you flutter answer. Great Mon that supports it's team well. Coaching it's kinda not used because your main physical attacker are either support heavy Lando or a Mence that like to click hyper voice more than double edge

https://pokepast.es/753efc359b0538d9

https://pokepast.es/f986f9bda979f6c6

If it has > base 50hp or > base 20 defence, it's stall.
If anyone knows how to format better let me know, I have no idea how to use smogon forums even though I've had this account for more than a year. Edited to make spacing more consistent.

Coaching used (Zamazenta) @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 Def / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Body Press
- Heavy Slam
- Wide Guard
- Coaching
Pretty standard Zamazenta, body press to hit weak targets, especially Incineroar. Heavy slam to kill fairies, mostly flutter mane. Wide guard to protect the rest of the team from strong spread moves like heat wave, dazzling gleam and hyper voice. Tera steel to cover weaknesses.

One punch (Kingambit) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Defiant
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Tera Blast
This is a very good coaching receiver because of defiant stopping intimidate from removing boosts. Assault vest used because it's very common to have gambit boosted by other mons (either because of Zamazenta or enemy mons), and the extra bulk is very helpful. Tera flying to cover 4x fighting weakness, ground weakness and to hit fighting and grass types with tera blast if needed.

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Def / 52 SpA / 160 SpD
Bold Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Leech Seed
- Protect
Omg big stall
Venusaur matches up neutrally vs almost everything in the meta except Zen Headbutt Mega Metagross and Mega Salamence (I've probably forgotten a few others), which allows it to leech seed and begin the stall process. Mega Venusaur also has almost a perfect matchup against Rillaboom and Flutter Mane not carrying Psyshock, though it can still live at least 1 psyshock. The defence is to prevent the 2HKO from Chien-Pao’s icicle crash with leech seed recovery, and the special defence is to prevent the 2HKO from Tornadus with leech seed use. The rest of the EVs are dumped into special attack.

Chien-Pao @ Focus Sash
Ability: Sword of Ruin
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Ice Spinner
- Sucker Punch
- Sacred Sword
- Protect
Chien pao exists to remove psychic terrain and kill dragons. Before I was using Fini, but that blocked poison from Glimmora and Mega Venusaur. Thank you to Yobuddy who gave the idea.

Incineroar @ Sitrus Berry
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 HP / 12 Atk / 48 Def / 196 SpD
Careful Nature
- Fake Out
- Flare Blitz
- Knock Off
- Parting Shot
Incineroar is the third dark type - type synergy in shambles. Not much of a problem though, since there are good fighting checks in Zamazenta and Venusaur. It is a fire type, so it is a great steel type killer. Intimidate is important to allow Venusaur to leech seed safely – it reduces Mega Salamence’s previously OHKO’ing double edge into a 2HKO. Fake out is generally good. Knock Off is also generally good, mostly for removing boosting items like choice specs, though it can also be a great offensive move against weak targets. Parting shot weakens enemy attackers and allows safe entry to other Pokemon who can set up, such as Venusaur leech seeding or Zamazenta coaching. I forgot what the defence investment is for, but I think it was related to making something a 3HKO instead of a 2HKO. The special defence investment is to make specs Flutter Mane’s Moonblast a 3HKO instead of a 2HKO. It also lives one Volcanion steam eruption. Tera ghost to counter fighting weakness and fake out.

Glimmora @ Focus Sash
Ability: Toxic Debris
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Power Gem
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Spiky Shield
Just bulky enough to be a little more than a dedicated suicide lead, so it can get off very strong Power Gems against flying targets. Also sets rocks to further pressure flying types. Tera ghost to ignore Fake Out, although tera dark is also possible to ignore prankster taunt.

Last edited:
1698516897234.png1698516913180.png1698516935485.png1698516950178.png1698516976758.png1698516996761.png

I'm sure this Zard + Flutter Mane core is nothing unusual in this meta, but it is something that I wanted to try out. I decided to make a tailroom team; Zard is the Tailwind setter, and Flutter Mane + P2 are the Trick Room setters. Mew serves as an important utility mon. Fake Out helps allied mons set up speed advantage, and (I believe) Defog clears Hazards, Screens, and Terrains. I'd imagine Rock Slide and, in the case of Rain Teams, Muddy Water to be obvious moves to be used against this team. That is where the Wide Guard user, Zamazenta switches into play. The only other mon not to be mentioned is Lando-T, but his role is pretty straight forward.

Here are some notes regarding the Speed of the given mons:
  • Zard's and Mew's Speed of 266 outspeeds Flutter Mane's Speed of 354 under Tailwind even when Flutter Mane's Speed is boosted by Booster Energy.
  • Flutter Mane's Quiet Nature outspeeds the fastest mon in the meta, Regieleki, under Tailwind while still able to take advantage of Trick Room.
  • Lando-T's Speed of 222 outspeeds Pheromosa and Deoxys-A under Tailwind.
  • P2's Speed of 166 outspeeds mons such as Zard or Mega Gardevoir under Tailwind. Zamazenta's Speed of 329 will outspeed such mons without the need of Tailwind

Last edited:

sir jelloton

DPL Champion
https://pokepast.es/d2a256382cefeb48
Imprison wide guard Zama! Idea of the team is you have very powerful damage dealers in Eruption Tran and specs flutter that you support using zama, hitting Steels for Flutter or providing wide guard support for Heatran, but then you also have imprison to stop opposing zama from wide guarding your powerful spread moves or being able to hit your abusers(cuz you imprison their attacking moves as well) glimm provides hazard control to prevent rocks as well as get your own up as the chip is usually very important. Boom is there to be boom. Torn in this slot over char Y as I felt char was too easy to take advantage of.

I'm not voting for myself, but I'd like to point out that Tapu Fini + Iron Hands + Aegislash (or Lando-T) is a interesting triad of a core. Give ChainlessJoe a point.

big pichu

This week: Zapdos!

:zapdos:

He clasps the crag with crooked hands;
Close to the sun in lonely lands,
Ring'd with the azure world, he stands.

The wrinkled sea beneath him crawls;
He watches from his mountain walls,
And like a thunderbolt he falls.

-- The Eagle, Lord Alfred Tennyson

Zapdos has shown some success in NDPL, and has a somewhat unique position in the metagame as a durable Tailwind setter that's able to maintain an active presence after Tailwind is set up. Additionally, while the most common Tailwind setters in this meta tend to be Prankster Pokemon, Zapdos has proven effective in its ability to support fellow Pokemon. This Pokemon's defensive profile makes it a solid partner to many of the top threats in the metagame, and it's not entirely crippled by Taunt like other Pokemon like Whimsicott might be.

I look forward to seeing what people make with this fascinating Pokemon!
The deadline for teambuilding is Sunday, November 13th 2023, at 10PM US Eastern (Nov 14, 3:00am UTC)
The voting period last the subsequent 48 hours.

(You may not use Galarian Zapdos. This weeks competition is about the Kantonian version)

Last edited:

Zapdos is bulky enough TW user and can accurately output a great deal of damage under Rain. (Scarfed) Urshifu's Surging Strike is also boosted under Rain and is unblockable. Rillaboom provides Fake Out support to help set up TW. Both Zapdos and Rillaboom help Urshifu in eliminating opposing mons that may resist its moves. Flutter Mane and Lando-T provides additional coverage, making the team a bit more balanced.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)