VGC Kyurem-W+Ditto (PlayerCup4Qualifier) [Rental+Paste]

[This turned out to be a huge thread. I suppose this happens when you take notes in it for literally months... Anyway now you can cherrypick whatever you want to know about this team and be sure it'll be a detailed explanation. You're welcome lol]

Well VGC, it's been a while.
Two years without crits, rolls, and 90% moves. I was a happy person. Until...
This villainous friend of mine started bombarding me with team ideas and such and... I fell for the trick. A man's mind sure is weak.

So here's the Team I've used for the PlayerCup4 Qualifiers
  • Ranked 1766 on Showdown while testing
  • Ranked n.499 (1667pts) at the PC4 Qualifiers
About the PC4 Qualifiers, I ended up playing only 21 games - meaning I had effectively 24 more games available.
I don't think I'm very skilled as a player, so I thought it would've been smarter to quit as soon as I felt in a safe enough position to qualify.
(I was simply afraid of getting caught in a lose-streak)

My last team was from Series3, I don't have to tell you how outdated it was - not to mention it was lacking its Restricted Legendary.
The bigger problem was my lack of knowledge (I didn't even know about the very existence of Regieleki) so I took my time watching some videos from my VGC Streamers of choice (Cybertron/Pardini/OsirusStudio) and started gathering my ideas.

As I always do, I'll guide you through the highlights of my whole Teambuilding process.
If you're looking for more inspiration that could spark some ideas into your team here are the other Reports I made:
The concept
145-g.png
+
644.png
or
145-g.png
+
646-w.png

The idea was to pair a Defiant (or Competitive) user next to a Pokémon weak to Intimidate or Snarl.
I was unsure if I'd pick Galarian Zapdos or Milotic:
  • Both can be the secondary Dynamax of the team, especially after their Abilities kick in.
  • Milotic is simply one of those perfect counters to the ever-so-popular Incineroar.
  • Zapdos is a great counter to Incineroar, Urshifu, and Umbreon.
  • Milotic has access to the powerful Coil+Hypnosis combo.
  • Zapdos has access to Max Airstream.
Zapdos felt like a better option, especially since it outspeeds Urshifu and can bypass its Sash with Dual Wingbeat.
252 Atk Life Orb Zapdos-Galar Dual Wingbeat (2 hits) vs. 4 HP / 4 Def Urshifu: 172-208 (97.7 - 118.1%) -- approx. 93.8% chance to OHKO
A little bit disappointing to be honest...
I was expecting it to be a clean Knock Out. But it's still a pretty good chance to OHKO a big threat.

As for the legendary, I knew I wanted something out of the ordinary - that could also work.
So not a"gimmick" but a Pokémon that was being ignored while actually being pretty good in the format. Kyurem-W and Zekrom caught my attention.
  • Zekrom can hit Kyogre with his electric Stab even next to a Lightningrod user.
  • Zekrom Max Lightning can one-shot Gmax Charizard.
  • Kyurem naturally walls Kyogre (and can attack before a Water Spout with Freeze Dry)
  • Kyurem can hit with Levitating mons with Earth Power.
  • Both can use Max Wyrmwind to lower the Atk of a Pokémon with Clear Body, even if attacking its partner.
I ended up liking Kyurem-W the most due to its great movepool.

Step#1
145-g.png
646-w.png

I started with the idea was to have Kyurem-W protected by the Snarls thanks to the presence of Zapdos.
As you can see there's already a Ditto here - but it was a placeholder just for the memes! I never even used it.
But... Apparently, I built a Team so Anti-Intimidate that literally no one was even bringing their Incineroar/Landorus to the fight!
And Snarl was apparently going down in usage during March. (This poor guy in the replay was literally the only one I found)

So I started over.

Step #2
145-g.png
644.png

I tried changing Kyurem-W with Zekrom, thinking that a physical Legendary would encourage my opponents to use Incineroar.
The concept was to use Zapdos to clean the aforementioned annoyers, Zekrom to deal big damages here and there and Metagross being the main Dynamax.
I paired Metagross with Entei to mimic the popular Spectrier+Solgaleo duo - but I thought Entei would fair better against Charizard.
Despite the many-many mistakes, 2 yrs without playing are showing here, I was winning quite a bit.

But the team felt really vulnerable to many common threats, even TornOgre that I thought I could counter pretty well. Not to mention that this team felt nowhere as good as my previous ones.

So I started over - again.
Remember: never shy away from re-starting from scratch.

Step #3
244.png
+
376.png

I started to note down what was working and what wasn't: with this duo here being the best part of the Zekrom Team.
Metagross is effectively a little Solgaleo, doing the very same things the Legendary does when paired with an Entei or a Spectrier. But I preferred the first over the latter due to the typing and my preference of Sacred Fire over Will-O-Wisp.

Step #4
861.png
+
646-w.png

As mentioned before I thought Kyurem-W could be used more effectively due to its movepool and typing.
So I decided to try a combo I know far too well: Fake Tears Grimmsnarl (like I did back in Season 2).
Little did I know...
Grimmsnarl has been the toughest one to build since I simply cannot decide on its 4th move:
Using Fake Tears
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8vgc2021-1306672483
Alternative title: I'm so rusty I literally forgot to fricking Dynamax.
I stuck with Trick until the very last. Then, upon laddering on Switch, I found out that this cheap tactic was actually... meta.
So having en Eject Button equipped felt more like a hinder than anything else.
Ence why I resorted to Reflect.

Step #5
861.png
646-w.png
244.png
376.png
pokeball.png
pokeball.png

I was ready to start working from just one of these cores... When I realized... that these four Pokèmon could really work together.
Finally, it was "that" time: to think about the last two members and team efficiency.

Step #6
861.png
646-w.png
244.png
376.png
132.png
pokeball.png

Oh my god...
This literally started as a joke... Then I have been put in front of the fact that Ditto is no joke at all.
Ditto can copy, upon entering the battlefield, the opponent that's directly in front of him - turning him to the ultimate counter to every Setupper.
(Also it can help you adjusting your matchup on the fly)
Here are some usual targets: Calyrex (both), Zacian, Solgaleo/Ncecrozma, Regieleki, Kyogre and Umbreon.

Step #7
861.png
646-w.png
244.png
376.png
132.png
+
146-g.png
/
788.png
/
793.png

This was the trickiest part.
  • Moltres Galar is a hard counter to Calyrex Shadow - being able to setup a Nasty Plot in front of him, plus Safety Googles can be useful.
  • Tapu Fini would cover my Metagross from getting burned by opposing Spectriers - and it adjusts my matchup against Dark Types like Urshifu.
  • Nihilego has a very nice option in Trickroom - plus it's an additional option to damage Charizard, Incineroar and Fairies.
In the end, I settled on Tapu Fini. Having a check for Urshifu was simply THAT important for this team.

Team composition
I'm not gonna lie, I'm not enjoying this meta at all... So I dealt with it the only way I know: making a fun (yet working) anti-meta team.
Kyurem is such a great Special Wall, but its regular Defense is pretty mediocre - here's why Metagross can come in, saving Kyurem from the likes of Zacian. Urshifu-SingleStrike is such a huge threat for this team. But that's why we have Tafu Fini (and Spirit Break on Grimmsnarl).
I'll cover Ditto later since it needs quite an explanation.

Team Analysis
(Spreads in the PokèPaste at the end of the page)
646-w.png

White Kyurem

Turboblaze
assaultvest.png

Kyurem's role is to wall any special attack incoming - and strike back with its whopping 170 Base SpAtk.
Having an Assault Vest here is just so useful, allowing Kyurem to have it's great Fantastic Four attacking moves, while keep walling the likes of Kyogre, Calyrex-Ghost and Gmax-Charizard like a champ.
  • Freeze Dry
    By far the best Stab Kyurem's has, being SuperEffective on Kyogre and utterly demolishing the likes of Palkia and Gastrodon.
  • Earth Power
    Such a great move to have on your Dyna. Also hitting Supereffectively the likes of Incineroar and x4 RotomHeat (thanks to TurboBalze)
  • Fusion Flare
    As mentioned, Kyurem has an amazing movepool. This allows it to OHKO threats like Kartana and Ferrothorn, with 100% accuracy.
  • Draco Meteor
    Such a strong Stab to have. It can also drop the enemy's ATK as a MaxMove, even Solgaleo thanks to Turboblaze.
Defensive Calcs
252 SpA Life Orb Solar Power Charizard-Gmax G-Max Wildfire vs. 28 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Dynamax Kyurem-White in Sun: 47-55.6%
252 SpA Life Orb Calyrex-Shadow Astral Barrage vs. 28 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Dynamax Kyurem-White: (19.3 - 23.2%) possible 5HKO
252+ SpA Mystic Water Kyogre Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 28 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Dynamax Kyurem-White in Rain: (17.1 - 20.3%) possible 5HKO
244 SpA Life Orb Palkia Max Wyrmwind vs. 28 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Dynamax Kyurem-White: (52.2 - 61.7%) guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Dialga Max Steelspike vs. 28 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Dynamax Kyurem-White: (58 - 68.8%) guaranteed 2HKO
As you can see Kyurem has really little to fear, and after you Snarl the opponent even one time it feels unkillable.
Physical attackers are an immense threat tho! You simply don't want to put Kyurem against the likes of Solgaleo, Zacian or Urshifu.
Offensive Calcs
244 SpA Turboblaze Kyurem-White Freeze-Dry vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Kyogre: (62.5 - 75%) guaranteed 2HKO
244 SpA Turboblaze Kyurem-White Freeze-Dry vs. 212 HP / 4 SpD Rotom-Wash: (112.1% - 133.3%) guaranteed OHKO
244 SpA Turboblaze Kyurem-White Earth Power vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Coalossal-Gmax: (146.2 - 174.1%) guaranteed OHKO
244 SpA Turboblaze Kyurem-White Max Quake vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Dynamax Rotom-Heat: (136 - 161.6%) guaranteed OHKO
244 SpA Turboblaze Kyurem-White Max Wyrmwind vs. 252 HP / 100 SpD Umbreon: (53.4 - 62.8%) guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
244 SpA Turboblaze Kyurem-White Max Hailstorm vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Dynamax Charizard-Gmax: (46.7 - 54.8%) 63.7% chance to 2HKO
The best way to deal with Maxed-Charizard is to hit it with a Hailstorm first (to get rid of the sun) and finish it off with Wyrmwind.
Watch out for the likes of Umbreon! Even one Snarl can cripple Kyurem! Double into it with Wyrmwind and Spirit Break to take it off of the field.
861.png

Grimmsnarl
Prankster
babiriberry.png

One of the best Pokémon in the format. (We totally need a proper ban list btw)
Grimmsnarl's role is to make Speed Control, set up Reflect when needed, while aiding the team to take out Dark Types like Umbreon and Urshifu.
  • Fake Out
    Underused in my opinion. It's great to block faster threats like Regieleki or supporters like Whimsicott and opposing Grimmsnarl.
    (With 28EVs in speed you'll be sure to outspeed other Grimmsnarl Fake Out and Incineroar as well)
  • Spirit Break
    Such a great move, both offensively and defensively. Great to cripple Pokémon like Urshifu or Lapras.
  • Scary Face
    For speed control. I prefer this one over Thunderwave due to its accuracy (useless on Dragapult of course, but we have Fini for that)
  • Reflect
    A very specific choice. This allows Entei and Grimmsnarl to last longer, also it's great to stall Solgaleo and Calyrex-Ice.
Defensive Calcs
228 Atk Solgaleo Max Steelspike vs. 164 HP / 156 Def Babiri Berry Grimmsnarl through Reflect: (45.5 - 53.9%) 41.8% chance to 2HKO
252+ SpA Mystic Water Kyogre Origin Pulse vs. 164 HP / 148+ SpD Grimmsnarl in Rain: (78.5 - 92.6%) guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Calyrex-Shadow Astral Barrage vs. 164 HP / 148+ SpD Grimmsnarl: (29.8 - 35.6%) 23.1% chance to 3HKO
These are the only Calcs needed to plan your games. More on this down below.
Offensive Calcs
12 Atk Grimmsnarl Spirit Break vs. 252 HP / 156+ Def Umbreon: (36.6 - 44.5%)
12 Atk Grimmsnarl Spirit Break vs. 244 HP / 116 Def Grimmsnarl: (59.7 - 71.6%) guaranteed 2HKO
12 Atk Grimmsnarl Spirit Break vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Urshifu-Rapid-Strike: (58.2 - 69.7%) guaranteed 2HKO
Obviously it's a OHKO on the Dark variant of Urshifu, but you have to manage it's sash pretty well (Fake Out it's pretty handy here).
376.png

Metagross
Clear Body
weaknesspolicy.png

I won't cover the details for this Pokémon since it's such a standard set - the one that mimics Solgaleo.
What's important to know is that you usually don't want to bring both Kyurem and Metagross. You either Max one or another.
More later in the Matchup section.
244.png

Entei
Inner Focus
shucaberry.png

Saying that Entei is a great Pokémon isn't enough. This doggo here is such a good boi <3
Entei makes for a phenomenal lead due to Inner Focus and to its ability to Snarl and Burn opposing Dynamax - effectively stalling them out until Kyurem or Metagross gets on the field.
  • Sacred Fire
    This move is incredible. Period.
    I've compensated for the chance of missing and/or the chance of not-burning the opponent with a very defensive spread - effectively giving Entei more chances to make use of this great move.
  • Snarl
    Great move to cripple offensive mons like Charizard, Dialga and even Lapras.
  • Bulldoze
    Just like Spectrier+Solgaleo, this move is here to combo with Metagross.
  • Protect
    This Entei wants to stay on the field as much as he can, while clearing the path for Kyurem or Metagross.
Defensive Calcs
Entei's set is pretty standard too (it's from Pikalytics). The only thing you have to know is that it can take at least 2 hits from everything, with the only exceptions being strong Special water attacks and G-Max Charizard's MaxAirstream.
With the combination of Reflect and Shuca Berry Entei will have a couple of more shots at Burning/Snarling the enemy, even Precipice Blades is a 3HKO this way.
Offensive Calcs
4 Atk Entei Sacred Fire vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Zacian-Crowned: (69.4 - 82.6%) guaranteed 2HKO
4 Atk Entei Sacred Fire vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Groudon in Sun: (35.2 - 42%) guaranteed 3HKO
4 Atk Entei Sacred Fire vs. 244 HP / 116 Def Grimmsnarl: (37.8 - 45.2%) guaranteed 3HKO
I really think that Sacred Fire is a better option than Will-O-Wisp in this meta. Can't be taunted, deals good chunks of damage and nerf the opponent's Stats.
And dealing damage is always welcomed in a meta where annoyers are everywhere:
Always remember to get rid of the likes of Umbreon and Grimmsnarl asap.
788.png

Tapu Fini
Misty Surge
aguavberry.png

As mentioned in the Teambuilding Process section, Tapu Fini is here mainly for one reason: Urshifu-Single-Strike.
You can effectively use its Misty Terrain to protect the team from Status Conditions. It also makes great use to nullify Max Wyrmwind and Dragon Energy (especially if you use Kyurem to bait said moves).
  • Muddy Water
    Classic choice. I don't find myself using this a lot tho.
  • Dazzling Gleam
    Another spread move, but since you'll be using Fini to counter Spores it's nice to have a way to reach Urshifu that's unaffected by redirectors.
  • Taunt
    Mainly here to stop the opponent toYawn or TrickRoom.
  • Protect
    Useful to stay on the field a bit longer, outmaneuvering opposing Urshifus.
Offensive Calcs
70+ SpA Tapu Fini Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 100 SpD Umbreon: (27.7 - 33.6%)
This is, quite honestly, the only calc worth mentioning. Umbreon can really turn a match against this team, so it's crucial to know how much damage you'll be dealing to it under any circumstances.
132.png

Ditto
Imposter
choicescarf.png

What can I say? This started as a joke with a friend of mine: "We can't have 2 Restricted anymore? Ditto disapproves". Little did I know...
This meta is just filled to the brim with Pokémon that love to boost - and that you can steal.
Zacian, Calyrex-Shadow-Rider, Calyrex-Ice-Rider, Xerneas, Solgaleo, Necrozma, Coalossal... Even Regieleki or Umbreon are great targets.
You'll be effectively adding one of these Boosted Pokèmon to your team.
Don't think of Ditto as an EZ button to push: This Pokémon is actually really tricky to use properly!
Ditto is a late-game sweeper. It's all about setting up its entrance correctly.
  • Ditto copies the Pokèmon in front of it upon entering the field
  • Ditto can't copy a Pokèmon behind a substitute (you'll have to click Transform for that)
  • Ditto copies the opposing Pokémon Ability and Stats, if Zacian has 222Atk Ditto-Zacian will have 222Atk
  • Ditto's copied ability will trigger after the transformation (copying a +1 Zacian will result in a +2 Ditto-Zacian)
  • Ditto copies the opposing Pokémon Buffs too (If Calyrex has a +1, Ditto-Calyrex also will)
  • Ditto can't copy the opposing Pokémon HP stat (have a look at the PokéPaste for the Spread)
  • Ditto can Dynamax. But it can't Gigantamax even if it copied a Gigantamax Pokemon (it'll turn into a regular Dynamax)
An interesting thing I noticed is that players tend to lead with their Pokémon in a specific pattern, for example:
Coalossal tends to be placed on the right, while Calyrex-Shadow-Rider tends to be placed on the left.
This is not some kind of in-game Law of course. But It's a nice piece of knowledge that can be pretty useful to plan your late-game and Ditto's appearance on the field. Just don't expect this to always work.
(More about this in the Matchup Section)

Common Matchups Analysis
Disclaimer: as I wrote in the Team Building Process, I tested a lot of various combinations.
Specifically, Grimmrnarl had that EjectButton+Trick combination until literally minutes before entering the competition, and these Replays are older.
Classic Sun Team
Lead with Entei and Grimmsnarl. Kyurem and Fini in the back.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8vgc2021-1317457726
The game plan here is to stall out their Dynamax, usually Charizard reducing its speed with ScaryFace and its SpAtk with Snarl.
Try to burn the Groudon, to take out any Annoyers, and make good use of Misty Terrain against Venusaur.
If possible oneshot the Groudon with a Max Hailstorm to prevent the opponent to benefit from the Sun.
During the late game Dynamax Kyurem and clean what's left without worrying about attacks from the likes of Charizard - Kyurem takes basically 0 damage from it.
SunDog
Lead with Entei and Grimmsnarl. Kyurem and Ditto in the back.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8vgc2021-1308929180
This one is trickier because Metagross is what you want against Zacian, but you simply can't bring it against a Sun core.
It's vital to carefully manage the Zacian (since it can oneshot Kyurem behind reflect).
The gameplan is the same as the Classic Sun, you only have to be more careful so you can copy the right Pokémon with Ditto.
Kyurem will clean the rest for you.
SunRoom
Lead with Entei and Grimmsnarl. Metagross and Ditto in the back.
Another tricky one... But here we can bring Metagross to the party since they usually bring the Trickroom core against my team - not the sun one.
Start on the defensive with Entei and Grimmsnarl, use Reflect to stall the TrickRoom and enter with Metagross when the time is right.
Usually you should be able to copy a boosted Calyrex with Ditto, and without TrickRoom in place the battle is pretty much over.
Coalossal
Lead with Tapu Fini(L) and Grimmsnarl(R). Kyurem and Ditto in the back.
This one is usually pretty easy.
Start with Fake Out on the opposing Urshifu, Spirit Break on Dragonite or Reflect in front of Dragapult.
Coalossal will usually target Fini, then you can copy it with Ditto. Since this team usually have Water-Urshifu we can deal with it in multiple ways, like Scary Face, so it's fine to sac Fini here. As usually happens, Kyurem will clean the rest.
Tip: Start with Tapu Fini on the left to maximize your chance of copying Coalossal (Dragapult and Urshifu are usually on the Right - But Dragonite tends to be on the left!)
LapDog
Lead with Entei and Grimmsnarl. Metagross/Kyurem and Ditto in the back.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8vgc2021-1309441324
This has to be my nemesis - I'm happy they're not so common anymore. The problem is that on paper you want to bring Kyurem, but usually you can't... Anyway, the gameplan is to start the game with a Fake Out on Zacian and Snarl from Entei. Then continue with Spirit Break on Lapras.
Ideally you want to lower Lapras' SpAtk so Metagross can have an easier time.
Tip: Start with Grimmsnarl on the left to maximize your chance of copying Zacian (Lapras is usually on the Right)
Rain Team
Lead with Kyurem and Grimmsnarl. Tapu Fini and Ditto.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8vgc2021-1317535620
There are so many Rain Teams but overall you want to deal with their Speed Controller with Grimmsnarl, starting with Fake Out is a good option. And Freeze Dry the Kyogre - Water Spout will do laughable damage from now on.
You can now ignore Kyogre, Max Kyurem and do your best to kill everything else. Ditto will Thunder the Kyogre in the late game.
Sometimes they can lead with Regidrago, pivot with Kyurem and switch to Fini - Regidrago will switch and became a target for your Ditto.
Tip: Keep track of the activation of Turboblaze and Drizzle to check if Kyogre has Scarf. Kyurem should be faster.
Regigigas Weezing
Lead with Kyurem(L) and Entei(R). Ditto and TapuFini/Grimmsnarl in the back.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8vgc2021-1316168549
(Sorry about the inconsistencies, this is the only replay I have)
Easy one. Wyrmwind and Sacred Fire the Regigigas immediately, Koffing will always protect.
Next turn Max Quake the Weezing (whether you got the burn or not). Regigigas is officially useless.
Usually there's a Calyrex-Shadow-Rider in the back. It'll KO Entei for sure, then you can enter with Ditto and clean the rest with Astral Barrage.
Tip: Start with Kyurem on the left to maximize your chance of copying Calyrex (it should enter right where the Weezing was - on the right)
Calyrex-Shadow-Rider
Lead with Kyurem and Grimmsnarl. Ditto and Tapu Fini in the back.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8vgc2021-1317449658
Easiest one. Dynamax turn one with Kyurem and Wyrmwind + Spirit Break the Indeedee. Ignore Calyrex.
Manage Urshifu with Grimmsnarl and Fini and clean the rest with your Ditto-Calyrex.
(Watch out for Tailwind! The opposing Calyrex has to be slower than your Scarfed one!)
Calyrex-Ice-Rider
Lead with Metagross and Entei. Ditto and Grimmsnarl in the back.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8vgc2021-1309447811
It's a pretty good mathchup, so you might want to try and flinch the TrickToom user with Rock Slide. Here I actually just wanted to Bust Mimikyu.
Nine times out of Ten you'd just Max Metagross and start boosting - ignore Calyrex (you don't want to trigger any Weakness Policy).
Stall the TrickRoom thanks to your Boosts and Reflect and copy Calyrex when TrickRoom ended.
Solgaleo/Necrozma
Lead with Grimmsnarl(L) and Entei(R). Metagross and Ditto in the back.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8vgc2021-1308559204
You may want to bait a Protect from Solgaleo on the first turn, going with Reflect and Protect.
Then Scary Face on the Spectrier and Sacred Fire on the Solgaleo - you should have a couple of tries before Entei faints.
Then enter with Ditto and copy your opponent's Solgaleo. Metagross is your Dynamax this time around.
PokéPaste and Rental Code
https://pokepast.es/0062400289c7493b

daa571d9-2a33-4977-9508-f03388ea65bb.jpg

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)