Pokémon Iron Crown

Iron Crown

900px-1023Iron_Crown.png

Steel / Psychic

Stat: 90 HP / 72 Att / 100 Def / 122 SpA / 108 SpD / 98 Spe

Ability : Quark Drive

Notable moves :

Tachyon Cutter (signature special move with 50 BP and never miss, hit twice)
Steel Beam
Psychic
Psyshock
Future Sight
Psychic Noise
Stored Power
Expanding Force

Agility
Calm Mind
Iron Defense
Focus Blast
Volt Switch
Air Slash
Rest
Sleep Talk
Protect
Substitute
Tera Blast

Pros :

• Pretty good stats with good 122 SpA, 90/100/108 bulk, and honorable Speed with his Quark Drive ability
  • Pretty good defensive typing with Steel/Psychic
  • Powerful signature move which hit twice, useful for defeat Focus Sash and Sturdy
  • Access to an immense variety of Psychic moves
  • Access to switch move with Volt Switch
  • Access to many set-up moves with Iron Defense, Calm Mind and Agility, which go very well with Stored Power

Cons :

• Many common weaknesses such as Dark, Ghost, Ground and Fire
  • Pretty bad STAB combo, resisted by many Steel Pokémons and Slowking
  • Limited Coverage with inaccurate Focus Blast. Entirely wall by Gholdengo
  • Without Quark Drive, his speed is pretty mid, below 100, and he will be overwhelmed by many threats that can kill him, like Darkrai, Roaring Moon, Weavile, Cinderace or Dragapult. Even with Energy Booster, it will be overtaken by other users of this item like Roaring Moon, Iron Valiant and Iron Boulder, but also by Scarf which have more than 100 speed
  • No Electric Terrain for activate Quark Drive, he will be forced to use single-use Energy Booster

Possible Tera :

• Steel : STAB
  • Psychic : STAB
  • Water : Defensive Tera useful for Stored Power set. It transforms Iron Crown's weakness to Fire type into resistance, which is very useful in a metagame full of Fire moves and pokemons like Cinderace, Gouging Fire, Volcarona and Iron Moth.
  • Fairy : Excellent defensive Tera type which remove Dark weakness like Sucker Punch Kingambit

Sets :

Iron Crown @ Booster Energy
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 84 Def / 172 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Focus Blast
- Tachyon Cutter
- Psyshock​

The possibly basic set of Iron Crown. Tachyon Cutter is his main STAB, and break Focus Sash users. Focus Blast is the coverage for touch Kingambit, Excadrill and Ting-Lu. Psyshock mettra à mal Clodsire et Iron Moth. You can replace Psyshock by Psychic to OHKO Great Tusk.

Iron Crown @ Grassy Seed
Tera Type: Water/Fighting
EVs: 252 Hp / 144 SpA / 112 Spe
Timid Nature
- Agility / Iron Defense
- Calm Mind
- Tachyon Cutter / Focus Blast
- Stored Power​

A Grassy Terrain and Screens set that I have experimented with quite a bit and which is very effective, although walled off by a lot of Pokémon like Heatran, Kingambit or Metagross. Agility vous permettra de dépasser l'ensemble du metagame en dehors des weather sweepers.
Iron Defense instead Agility may be useful to fight physical offensive threat. Leftovers instead Grassy Seed will be used for non-Grassy Terrain Team. Water Tera will allow you to win your duel against Volcarona without Giga Drain.
If you have difficulty passing Kingambit and Heatran in your team, Focus Blast is your friend.

Tera Type: Water
EVs: 84 Def / 172 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Future Sight
- Volt Switch
- Tachyon Cutter
- Psyshock

Iron Crown @ Choice Scarf
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
-Volt Switch
-Tachyon Cutter
-Future Sight
-Psychic​

Possible pivot sets with Volt Switch and Future Sight.

Conclusion :

Iron Crown is a Pokémon that will be decent in OU and some potential as a Stored Power setup, but will likely fall into OU in the first month. Overtaken by many Pokémon, it will undoubtedly be Tera dependent at the risk of being rendered ineffective by common threats like Voacarona and Kingambit.

Last edited:
I feel like this is one of the scarier double dance mons available because of booster: this set has been going crazy today-

Tera Type: Fighting / Water
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 116 SpD / 100 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Iron Defense
- Stored Power
- Focus Blast

This gives you booster speed to outpace the unboosted metagame and grants the speed that most of these double defense boosting sets sorely lack. For the rest of the EVs, its as much SpD as possible without becoming the booster energy stat (since spdef doesnt ramp up as quickly as def), and then rest into Def.

As a steel type that can be supported by Grassy Terrain and a psychic type that can get rid of its own item plus screens support, this becomes a very annoying mon to deal heavy damage to and with great speed and SpA this is already a threat after a defense boost on each side.
Tera type can either help it shrug off sucker punch and hit harder off the bat, or pack up weather teams.

I think this is a good pick for any HO that is using Rilla/screens and its basically 6-0d most of the matches I played today. It also has a lot of surprise factor atm, and a wrong move is basically a free win with a set like this. But without the recovery/support of Grassy Terrain, perhaps I wouldnt use it. I also don't think I would be inspired much to use it as a cm + 3 atks mon, or a future sight + pivot mon when theres better options in the higher tiers. Tachyon Cutter is an awesome move but unfortunately no slot for this.

In the sets in the OP, you should use Psychic Noise over Psychic if given the option. It’s imo better overall move, especially for Scarf and Pivot sets. Nullifying Leftovers and Recover is huge, and the only real drawback is same drawbacks as noise based moves like Boomburst. The -15 BP and lack of SpD drop rarely comes up.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
My new mascot.

I started a fresh alt for DLC2 and got it to the mid 1800s (and rising) using this beast on all my teams.

I don't really like Iron Defense though personally (unless you're confident you can sweep off the bat). I thought I would, but whenever I've tried it I'm just sad it isn't Magearna.

Personally, I'm actually kind of enjoying the defensive utility provided by Steel/Psychic, opting to run Leftovers and Agility > Iron Defense. For my specific team, it means I can use it defensively in a pinch for stuff like Iron Boulder while still having the option of sweeping late game if I play my cards right.

Last edited:
I've been using Iron Crown in doubles alongside Indeedee-F since Psychic Terrain gives Expanding Force a really good boost in power.

fortnitebattlepass (Iron Crown) @ Booster Energy
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 76 HP / 4 Def / 172 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Expanding Force
- Sacred Sword
- Tachyon Cutter
- Protect

I know Focus Blast is a better option as a Fighting-type move since it has more BP, but I've found it to be quite unreliable so I switched it later on for Sacred Sword, trading off power for better accuracy. I also know this is probably not the best set for Iron Crown, i find it's worked pretty well on my team in Doubles Ubers.

I've been using Iron Crown quite a bit lately. I must say, its been a lot better than I thought it would be from glancing at its stats and typing back when it was revealed. While its movepool is a bit shallow, it contains just enough sauce to give it some versatility, between options like Volt Switch, CM, Expanding Force, Future Sight, and Psyshock. Combined with a flexible item slot (Booster Energy, Specs, AV have all been great from my exp), and Iron Crown winds up being a very customizable Pokemon in practice. Its speed tier, while not amazing, is enough to hit some relevant benchmarks, namely outspeeding Kyurem and Great Tusk. Tachyon cutter is also such a fantastic STAB move in general for the pesky Glimmora, Ribombee, and ATales to KO them through their sash + the many Tera Fairy Pokemon roaming the metagame. I do think this Pokemon is in a rough general predicament, but once more bans happen, I forsee it getting a lot better, especially since it hates most of the mons that people want tested (Dengo, Gambit, Volcarona, Roaring Moon, Dragapult, Ogerpon-W).

I am hoping Iron Crown gets more options next generation, but I think it is a perfect Pokemon balance wise.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)