Battle Stadium First SV Team - Starting With Metagross

Hey! I'm sharing a team I'm building in Violet focused on Metagross. I managed to pick up a shiny Beldum so I thought I'd give it a go for my first team I've put together in years.

Aiming to keep it to Pokémon that are easy enough to build in-game (i.e. not limited legendaries). Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Here's what I've got so far -

team.JPG

Metagross
Adamant
Leftovers/Assault Vest
252 HP, 160 Atk, 96 Spd
T Type: Water
  • Earthquake
  • Ice Punch
  • Psychic Fangs
  • Bullet Punch
The shiny boy. A bulky build to open with. Assault Vest is an alternative hold item which could be preferred considering it's fully aggresive moveset. Tera type water helps Metagross resist fire types. Ice Punch helps with ground and dragon types like Dragonite, Landorous. Earthquake helps deter fire types and steel types like Entei, Chi-Yu, Duraladon. Psychic Fangs gets through screens and helps with fighting types. Bullet punch is normally enough to finish off most that don't resist it. Flutter Mane is a threat and fire types in general despite the tera typing.

Meowscarada
Adamant
Choice Band/Focus Sash
Protean
252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4 HP
T Type: Grass
  • Flower Trick
  • Knock Off
  • U Turn
  • Triple Axel
Meowscarda provides a solid switch in for Metagross to protect it from Ghost types. An alternative hold item is Focus Sash to increase flexibility. Triple Axel gives coverage against Flying, Grass, Dragon, and Ground types. I've chosen Knock Off over Sucker Punch for that initial boost of power. I've picked U Turn, although Low Kick could help with Baxcalibur, Garganacle and steel types as this team lacks fighting moves.

Toxapex
Impish
Black Sludge
Regenerator
252 HP, 252 Def, 4 SDef
T Type: Dark
  • Recover
  • Toxic
  • Toxic Spikes
  • Liquidation
Toxapex provides a solid switch in for Metagross against fire types. It provides entry hazard support and toxic which should hopefully work well on this relatively bulky team. Liquidation provides support for ground types and fire types that Metagross is weak to. Toxapex also supports the team against Urshifu and Annihilape which I've found can provide both Metagross and Meowscarada (Annihilapea at least) with problems.

Dragapult
Modest
Choice Specs
Infiltrator
252 SpAtk, 252 Spd, 4 HP
T Type: Ghost
  • Draco Meteor
  • Shadow Ball
  • Flamethrower
  • U-Turn
Dragapult provides the team with an easy switch in on normal type and fighting type moves. It's working for the team as a special attacker, with some speed that I felt the team could do with. It has a wide covering moveset. Flamethrower can deal with steel types like Gholdengo and grass types such as Serperior and Rillaboom. It can outspeed Flutter Mane and use it's Tera boosted Shadow Ball.

Ninetails Alolan
Timid
Snow Warning
Rocky Helmet
244 HP, 172 Spe, 92 SpD
T Type: Ice
  • Aurora Veil
  • Moonblast
  • Encore
  • Freeze-Dry
Alolan Ninetails is the screen setter of the team. It can potentially switch in on Miraidon for Toxapex and with it's bulk can support ongoing Toxic damage. Moonblast provides great support against dragons. As well as dark types which threaten Metagross and Dragapult, and Chien-Pao which is a big threat. Freeze Dry helps with ground types which the team has a general weakness to.

Cinderace

Heavy-Duty Boots
Libero
Jolly
252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 Def
T Type: Flying
  • Pyro Ball
  • Sucker Punch
  • Court Change
  • High Jump Kick
And last but not least, Cinderace provides a solid counter for Gholdengo, Corviknight and Scizor. High Jump Kick provides support against slower rock and fighting types.
Court Change is the teams only protection against entry hazards, although I appreciate this could be at odds with Toxapex's strategy. Flying Tera type is subject to change. It helps protect from ground moves which again, this team has a few weaknesses to. It also outspeeds Ogerpon and helps deal with ice types like Ninetails.

Attachments

In previous regs it was fine to not use any legends, but now in g you kinda need 1 of the big ones, even if stuff like Lando is purely optional.

Metagross is wasting evs at level 50 with proper IVs. 92 gives the same as 96, 156 gives the same as 160.

In previous regs it was fine to not use any legends, but now in g you kinda need 1 of the big ones, even if stuff like Lando is purely optional.

Metagross is wasting evs at level 50 with proper IVs. 92 gives the same as 96, 156 gives the same as 160.
Thanks. What do you think should slot into this team in terms of legendaries?

I'll redo the maths with the EVs. I've only built Metagross luckily.

Thanks. What do you think should slot into this team in terms of legendaries?

I'll redo the maths with the EVs. I've only built Metagross luckily.
I am not that good, typically switch 1 Mon here into a similar legendary. So for instance NDM over Metagross, a dragon or caly s over pult, or maybe ho oh over cinderace. Just examples. Really it would depend what Mon does least that's here already. Ho oh over cinderace might be good to save Tera there, though, since you mention ground.

Edit: I'm bad at really replacing mons.on other people's teams, but maybe ninetails a doesn't work here. At least not without any set up.

I am not that good, typically switch 1 Mon here into a similar legendary. So for instance NDM over Metagross, a dragon or caly s over pult, or maybe ho oh over cinderace. Just examples. Really it would depend what Mon does least that's here already. Ho oh over cinderace might be good to save Tera there, though, since you mention ground.

Edit: I'm bad at really replacing mons.on other people's teams, but maybe ninetails a doesn't work here. At least not without any set up.
Thanks. Cinderace and Ninetails A I think would be easiest to swap. I was considering Gyarados over Tox for Ground immunity too.

Hey! I'm sharing a team I'm building in Violet focused on Metagross. I managed to pick up a shiny Beldum so I thought I'd give it a go for my first team I've put together in years.

Aiming to keep it to Pokémon that are easy enough to build in-game (i.e. not limited legendaries). Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Here's what I've got so far -

View attachment 630425

Metagross
Adamant
Leftovers/Assault Vest
252 HP, 160 Atk, 96 Spd
T Type: Water
  • Earthquake
  • Ice Punch
  • Psychic Fangs
  • Bullet Punch
The shiny boy. A bulky build to open with. Assault Vest is an alternative hold item which could be preferred considering it's fully aggresive moveset. Tera type water helps Metagross resist fire types. Ice Punch helps with ground and dragon types like Dragonite, Landorous. Earthquake helps deter fire types and steel types like Entei, Chi-Yu, Duraladon. Psychic Fangs gets through screens and helps with fighting types. Bullet punch is normally enough to finish off most that don't resist it. Flutter Mane is a threat and fire types in general despite the tera typing.

Meowscarada
Adamant
Choice Band/Focus Sash
Protean
252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4 HP
T Type: Grass
  • Flower Trick
  • Knock Off
  • U Turn
  • Triple Axel
Meowscarda provides a solid switch in for Metagross to protect it from Ghost types. An alternative hold item is Focus Sash to increase flexibility. Triple Axel gives coverage against Flying, Grass, Dragon, and Ground types. I've chosen Knock Off over Sucker Punch for that initial boost of power. I've picked U Turn, although Low Kick could help with Baxcalibur, Garganacle and steel types as this team lacks fighting moves.

Toxapex
Impish
Black Sludge
Regenerator
252 HP, 252 Def, 4 SDef
T Type: Dark
  • Recover
  • Toxic
  • Toxic Spikes
  • Liquidation
Toxapex provides a solid switch in for Metagross against fire types. It provides entry hazard support and toxic which should hopefully work well on this relatively bulky team. Liquidation provides support for ground types and fire types that Metagross is weak to. Toxapex also supports the team against Urshifu and Annihilape which I've found can provide both Metagross and Meowscarada (Annihilapea at least) with problems.

Dragapult
Modest
Choice Specs
Infiltrator
252 SpAtk, 252 Spd, 4 HP
T Type: Ghost
  • Draco Meteor
  • Shadow Ball
  • Flamethrower
  • U-Turn
Dragapult provides the team with an easy switch in on normal type and fighting type moves. It's working for the team as a special attacker, with some speed that I felt the team could do with. It has a wide covering moveset. Flamethrower can deal with steel types like Gholdengo and grass types such as Serperior and Rillaboom. It can outspeed Flutter Mane and use it's Tera boosted Shadow Ball.

Ninetails Alolan
Timid
Snow Warning
Rocky Helmet
244 HP, 172 Spe, 92 SpD
T Type: Ice
  • Aurora Veil
  • Moonblast
  • Encore
  • Freeze-Dry
Alolan Ninetails is the screen setter of the team. It can potentially switch in on Miraidon for Toxapex and with it's bulk can support ongoing Toxic damage. Moonblast provides great support against dragons. As well as dark types which threaten Metagross and Dragapult, and Chien-Pao which is a big threat. Freeze Dry helps with ground types which the team has a general weakness to.

Cinderace

Heavy-Duty Boots
Libero
Jolly
252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 Def
T Type: Flying
  • Pyro Ball
  • Sucker Punch
  • Court Change
  • High Jump Kick
And last but not least, Cinderace provides a solid counter for Gholdengo, Corviknight and Scizor. High Jump Kick provides support against slower rock and fighting types.
Court Change is the teams only protection against entry hazards, although I appreciate this could be at odds with Toxapex's strategy. Flying Tera type is subject to change. It helps protect from ground moves which again, this team has a few weaknesses to. It also outspeeds Ogerpon and helps deal with ice types like Ninetails.
Your team when calyrex-Shadow
Anyways modest dragapult can’t outspeed fast flutter manes as they usually run timid or booster energy, rocky helmet ninetales is fake, and metagross might want heavy slam.
Anyways do I need to bring up some calyrex-Shadow calcs on your team? Tera caly just eats you alive.

Your team when calyrex-Shadow
Anyways modest dragapult can’t outspeed fast flutter manes as they usually run timid or booster energy, rocky helmet ninetales is fake, and metagross might want heavy slam.
Anyways do I need to bring up some calyrex-Shadow calcs on your team? Tera caly just eats you alive.
Thanks. What about putting sucker punch on Meowscarada and Cinderace? Or getting Darkrai/Yveltal on there somewhere?

Could ditch ice punch for Heavy Slam.

Oh yeah my bad. Ursaluna Bloodmoon could work too. Then I've also got a switch into Ghost and Electric.
Anyways we have Tera fighting.
Sucker punch hits a resist and you die, the end.
Jokes aside you need a bit more counter play than that.

True. Any suggestions?
one way if to slot in ting lu or stuff like wo chien (yes, its actually viable somewhat) or choice scarf speed control like koraidon (tho its better here as a sweeper imo).
of course, there are more stuff to worry about as well, like Ho-Oh, calyrex-ice, bikes, Zacian, the list goes on and on...

one way if to slot in ting lu or stuff like wo chien (yes, its actually viable somewhat) or choice scarf speed control like koraidon (tho its better here as a sweeper imo).
of course, there are more stuff to worry about as well, like Ho-Oh, calyrex-ice, bikes, Zacian, the list goes on and on...
Thanks. A lot to think about. Perhaps Chien-Pao instead of Ninetails could help with Calyrex S. Maybe Thunderbolt instead of Flamethrower on Dragapult to deal with Ho-Oh.

Thanks. A lot to think about. Perhaps Chien-Pao instead of Ninetails could help with Calyrex S. Maybe Thunderbolt instead of Flamethrower on Dragapult to deal with Ho-Oh.
Also I suggest checking out other successful teams of BSS, so you have a better idea of what's good and what is not, so that you wont waste these vitamins in vain.
Metagross is just Calyrex food at this point...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)