move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Ice Punch
item: Choice Band
ability: Sand Stream
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
tera type: Flying / Dark / Rock

[SET COMMENTS]

Choice Band Tyranitar is one of the strongest wallbreakers in the tier, with its massive attack stat and strong moves. It can utilize its great special bulk in sand to enter in on special attackers such as Latios and Zapdos. Earthquake combines with Stone Edge very well for near perfect coverage, hitting many Steel types who otherwise take Tyranitar's moves solidly, including Tinkaton and Excadrill. Ice Punch is the most common fourth move, hitting Kommo-o and OHKOing Hydrapple. Flying tera can allow you to avoid strong super effective fighting or ground hits, but Tera should not be used unless necessary, as this leaves it vulnerable to Stealth Rocks and its own sand chip. Teraing into either STAB type can allow you hit even stronger, notably OHKOing Rotom-Wash after rocks and Scizor.

Tyranitar often appreciates slow pivots to help it enter safely as it is not recovering on its own, namely Slowking, who also offers Future Sight support to help it break through some of its checks, such as Kommo-o and Toxapex even harder. Another good partner for Tyranitar is Excadrill, who even with the limited sand turns, can revenge kill fast threats that may threaten out Tyranitar with OHKOs, such as Keldeo and Iron Boulder. Another good synergy with Tyranitar is spikes, as they help it break through checks even harder, while it can Knock Off the Heavy Duty Boots that pivots such as Hydrapple and Sandy Shocks are using to resist spikes, or hit Zapdos and Tornadus-T with strong STAB Stone Edges. However, it can struggle to switch into Latios and Tornadus-T due to their raw power and pivoting respectively, so it often appreciates being paired with secondary checks to these mons, such as Zapdos or Tinkaton. It also can allow revenge killing from Grass-types in Ogerpon-C and base forme, and switching in with Hydrapple, so it likes being paired with checks such as Tinkaton, Scizor, and Zapdos.

[CREDITS]
Written by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/tree69420.605413/
Quality Checked by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/twilight.344575/

Grammar Checked by:

Last edited:
[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 1: Stone Edge
move 2: Knock Off
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Ice Punch
item: Choice Band
ability: Sand Stream
nature: Adamant
evs: 84 HP 252 ATK 172 SPE 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
tera type: Flying Dark / Rock / Flying

[SET COMMENTS]

Choice Band Tyranitar is one of the strongest wallbreakers in the tier, with its massive attack stat and strong moves. It can utilize its great special bulk in sand to enter in on special attackers such as..., or be slow pivoted in from teammates such as Slowking. Save this for team options just expand that its decent bulk under sand lets it come in vs X and Y to get chances to break. Sand Stream helps Tyranitar's special tanking ability, as well as helping chip down many common defensive pokemon. Not necessary to state Earthquake combines with Stone Edge very well for near perfect coverage, hitting many Steel types who otherwise resist Tyranitar's moves such as... Ice Punch is the most common fourth move, hitting Hydrapple and Kommo-o. I'd specifically state that Ice Punch OHKO's Hydrapple 172 Speed EVs allow you hit 201 speed to creep the many defensive pokemon hitting that benchmark, You cannot Speed creep another Pokemon trying to Speed creep something else in an analysis. It has to invest for a mon at either max Speed or zero. In this case, I also could not find anything relevant the HP would help with so I have set the EVs to max max. but more can be invested as it is a very crowded speed tier. Flying tera can allow you to avoid strong super effective fighting or ground hits, but Tera should not be used unless necessary, as this leaves it vulnerable to Stealth Rocks and its own sand chip. Mention Tera Dark and Rock briefly first as a means to boost the power of its STAB attacks, if you can find an example of an OHKO that would be great too.

Tyranitar often appreciates slow pivots to help it enter safely as it is not recovering on its own, namely Slowking, who also offers Future Sight support to help it break through some of its checks such as... even harder. Another good partner for Tyranitar is Excadrill, who even with the limited sand turns, can revenge kill or punch through key mons. Again too vague for the reader, explain with examples. Another good synergy with Tyranitar is spikes, as they help it break through checks even harder, while it can Knock Off the Heavy Duty Boots that those pokemon are using to resist spikes, or hit Flying-Types with strong STAB Stone Edges. Again examples

Some stuff I think you need to mention:

• Alternative checks to Latios and Torn-T as this set lacks the bulk to pivot into them
  • Checks to Grass-types like Ogerpon, Hydrapple, Ogerpon-C

[CREDITS]
Written by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/tree69420.605413/
Quality Checked by:

Grammar Checked by:

comments remove add

Where I've written (such as...) add examples if that is not already obvious. Tag me on Discord when implemented so I can take a quick look again after you have implemented my changes before I can mark as 1/2

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)