Resource BBP Bug and Feedback Thread - Generation 9 Edition!

In addition to the above, Trace is very broken right now.
From 2.9:
Each of the prescribed instructions are, themselves, a Rules Event. Thus, after each item on the checklist is evaluated, if the instruction was carried, the checklist is restarted from the beginning.
This means that the post-event checklist resolves after each Rules Event, which includes sending out a Pokemon. Because of the part of 2.9 that Pratik quoted, this means that Trace resolves as soon as the Pokemon with Trace is sent out and a post-event checklist is completed. Importantly, this is before any other Pokemon are sent out. This means that Trace completely fails to trigger at all, due to a lack of eligible opposing Pokemon to choose from, in the following situations:
  • You lead with a Trace Pokemon with first sendout
  • All opposing active mons either fainted or leave play during the Forced Switching Procedure, and you send out a Trace mon during the Pokemon Replacement Procedure before your opponent has replaced any of their mons
  • You switch to a Trace Pokemon and your opponent counterswitches

Novax

Crossroads: Paths unchosen
is a Tiering Contributor
From 2.9:

This means that the post-event checklist resolves after each Rules Event, which includes sending out a Pokemon. Because of the part of 2.9 that Pratik quoted, this means that Trace resolves as soon as the Pokemon with Trace is sent out and a post-event checklist is completed. Importantly, this is before any other Pokemon are sent out. This means that Trace completely fails to trigger at all, due to a lack of eligible opposing Pokemon to choose from, in the following situations:
  • You lead with a Trace Pokemon with first sendout
  • All opposing active mons either fainted or leave play during the Forced Switching Procedure, and you send out a Trace mon during the Pokemon Replacement Procedure before your opponent has replaced any of their mons
  • You switch to a Trace Pokemon and your opponent counterswitches
Iirc trace works in the 3rd case where you can trace the ability of the mon that is switched in, not sure about the others

LouisCyphre

heralds disaster.
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Currently, there appears to be a bug in the interaction between effects that cause accuracy checks to automatically succeed/fail. As it currently stands, [8.7] Accuracy Checks reads as follows:
Good catch; this was exactly opposite the intent. I've corrected the rule to check success first.

DAT - Moves:
Corrosive Gas targets "All Other Pokemon," but the scope of its effect is all Pokemon in play.
Corrected the scope to "The Battlefield".

DAT - Moves:
I'm not sure if this is a bug but magnet rise's duration is "next 6 steps". Most conditions created for a number of steps don't use 'next' and this is a bit confusing. I'd prefer "for 7 steps" if that's the intended duration.
It's known that a pass to clean up all instances of "steps" and "next steps" would be nice for consistency, but it's low on the priority list at the moment.

Should be "lesser or equal"
in

is shell bell meant to be a power bonus? because it is not a power bonus. Ditto to adventure rules
They should have been, but the anniversary patch is touching both items already, so we'll leave them be for now.

Data Audit: Toedscool and Toedscruel are listed as Grass/Ground type, when they are Ground/Grass-type.

Profile Generator: If they're meant to, Darmanitan and Darmanitan-Galar don't generate information about their respective Zen Modes.
Darm and Darm-G are correctly in the Formes DAT tab now. You'll want to generate them again.

I'll make sure 9.3a informs you that you could have the chance to "order otherwise" in many posts, not just order posts.

things stop breaking challenge
1700715955912.png

For point 1:
The intent is for triggered effects, that trigger in the switching phase, to sit in the effect queue until switching is fully complete. For that to happen:​
  • These "sequences of rules instructions that don't have any post-event checks within them", like the Switching Phase, will need to be given a self-descriptive name
  • I'll have to indicate the existence of the effect queue in a few places (which is overdue anyway)
  • I'll have to go through 2.x and mark off all of the "rules that are treated as a single event" — not that I expect there to be that many. Switching is pretty weird mechanically.
It's not really an option to define a "list of all the things that are events", because then I have to edit in a new instruction to have a post-event check, and edit this "event list", every single time we write a new trigger for a triggered effect. Also, it makes it a nightmare for anyone not on the mod team to write custom content, down to even a tower match arena.​
It's better if we just write, "have a post-event check after every rules instruction you follow, and after the effect queue becomes empty". Then we can just draw a figurative box around any exceptions (like the switching phase).​

For point 2:
Post-event checks already delete the Trace condition for a user that enters and then immediately leaves play. However, the triggered effect just says this:​
When the user enters play:​
The user's trainer posts to whether or not the user will perform Activate Trace as a triggered action; after which, scheduled posts resume.​
This would make you post to decline (or pointlessly accept) Trace even if there's no benefit for doing so. I'll have to add text to Trace and its relatives, to demand a post only if the user is in play when the trigger resolves.​

Some suggestions for "[2.7a] The Action Phase":

I'd suggest to add indexing numbers for the specific sub-phases, like:
[2.7a-1] Pokemon receive orders.
[2.7a-2] "Start of Step" Substitutions are checked.
etc

The sub-phases "The step's Turn Sequence is created.", and "The step's Turns are processed." seem to conflict with how substitutions work. It seems possible to break the supposed Turn Sequence established with substitutions that trigger at the right Priority to toy with moves with certain Priority values. I'd suggest to reword it to having both orders and substitutions being processed in chronological order in each step.

Last edited:
is it possible to make "if opposing pokemon is to use X move this round" a valid trigger condition
currently you have to write "if opposing pokemon is to use X move this round, no more than thrice" which seems fiddly in an uninteresting manner and does not change the functionality at all.

At least personally, I would be willing to pay higher jc on raids if it meant the queue actually moved.
There seems to be an imbalance between number of people who want to raid and number of people who want to ref.
+cost to enter, +jc for reffing could be a good change.

possibly also for realgam doubles, where it is giving an extra pokemon worth of xp, and is more work for the judge, but has the same jc cost/rewards as standard realgams.

Last edited:

Mowtom

I'm truly still meta, enjoy this acronym!
is it possible to make "if opposing pokemon is to use X move this round" a valid trigger condition
currently you have to write "if opposing pokemon is to use X move this round, no more than thrice" which seems fiddly in an uninteresting manner and does not change the functionality at all.
Why doesn't plain language alias turn "if X this round" into "if X this round at most three times"?
At least personally, I would be willing to pay higher jc on raids if it meant the queue actually moved.
There seems to be an imbalance between number of people who want to raid and number of people who want to ref.
+cost to enter, +jc for reffing could be a good change.

possibly also for realgam doubles, where it is giving an extra pokemon worth of xp, and is more work for the judge, but has the same jc cost/rewards as standard realgams.
JC rework has been announced to be one of the things we're working on

Teleport and Detect currently share combo classes. As this creates a combo that makes it impossible to prevent pivoting this is clearly a bug that needs to be fixed.

Honestly Protective move combos probably need to be looked at in general, as functionally uninteractable +4 Priority moves seems to be a wee bit strong.

Mowtom

Secret Power currently has the following:
● No Terrain, and no effect specified by the Arena: Inflict Paralysis with one (0) markers on the defender.
Now says "zero (0)", chosen over "one (1)" because it matches the use of "markers" rather than "marker"
"Hypnosis" is currently "ud s" on the Move sheet of the DAT
How the heck does this kind of thing happen. Fixed.

Mowtom

Multiple people have managed to independently leave out the
Code:
'u:
from the sprite code for Tierno's Oricorio-Pa'u. I have no idea how this has happened. It can't be copying a typo in Tierno's data since the most recent instance of this is well after Tierno's data was last updated. Lacking any idea how to file a bug report with the archangel Uriel, I am posting it here.

Glyphy

Banned deucer.
Screenshot_2024-01-10-15-16-04-548_com.android.chrome.jpg

The Raid Frontier thread says "When signing up for the Safari Zone" instead of Raid Frontier!!
Screenshot_2024-01-10-21-35-27-254_com.android.chrome.jpg

I would also suggest adding a column "Boast (if any): Insert the link from the Boasting Hall" in both the threads!!

Last edited by a moderator:
suggestion.
if a sub has a timing step it doesn't need a trigger step to be valid.
people (including me) keep wanting to write "if x misses, use y on the next step." and similar and it doesn't seem at all ambiguous or confusing.
Other cases like "at the start of the step, use earthquake" also seem clear and unambiguous.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)