OU USUM OU Victim of the Week! Week 14: Calm Mind + Pain Split Magearna

clematis

formerly EdDaBoss
Hi everyone! I'm massively late on updating this, work has been pretty stressful, and as such I'm going to be extending the voting period until Tuesday 7th May in order to get everything done on time. Has to come first unfortunately, I'm sorry <3 (also to get some more votes lol)

(here is a piece of music to keep you satiated until then)

clematis

formerly EdDaBoss
Alright, voting is now closed. Thanks everyone for your submissions.
Congratulations to zinnias for singlehandedly winning this week with Serperior and Mega Slowbro! I'll go ahead and add your sets to the Hall of Fame shortly.
1715165927069.png

Week 14: Calm Mind + Pain Split Magearna

Magearna @ Fairium Z
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 248 HP / 28 Def / 224 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Pain Split
- Fleur Cannon
- Thunderbolt
After somehow realising I never featured Magearna here, we're doing it now. Calm Mind + Pain Split Magearna is a terrifying threat for unprepared teams, able to boost up to astronomical levels and stay healthy by siphoning its opponents' HP with Pain Split. STAB Fleur Cannon powered up into Twinkle Tackle is a monstrous nova attack even unboosted, and can singlehandedly OHKO pretty much anything that doesn't resist when boosted. Thunderbolt rounds out Magearna's coverage, allowing it to hit Pokemon such as Celesteela and Skarmory that would otherwise be reasonable answers. The EV spread aims to allow Magearna to take different attacks from full HP such as Landorus-T's Earthquake, and then maximising its Special Attack stat. Soul-Heart is an excellent ability, allowing Magearna to snowball upon getting a kill and boost its SpA further.

Can you find a check or a counter to this set? You have 6 days to submit your answers, with submissions ending on Tuesday 14th May. If you wish, you may submit both a check and a counter, though you are of course allowed to submit one or the other if you please.

Best of luck!

Reserving Lando-T and Mega Venusaur
Check:
:sm/landorus therian:
Landorus-Therian (M) @ Groundium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 132 SpD / 124 Spe
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Knock Off
Now, normally lando-t does not in fact check magearna. However, this lando-t set does. With these specific evs, you always live a twinkle tackle, meaning you can actually switch into any move that magearna has at neutral. From here, you can respond with a tectonic rage which cleanly ohko's magearna, meaning you don't have to deal with any of its shenanigans with pain split. Rest of the moveset is more supportive, and the speed evs are just the leftovers, though they of course can go into attack if wanted.

Counter:
:sm/venusaur mega:
Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Growth
- Earthquake
- Synthesis
- Leech Seed
Mega Venusaur is bulky AF. Just look at this calc:
+3 224+ SpA Magearna Twinkle Tackle (195 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Venusaur-Mega: 271-320 (74.4 - 87.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Yes, it can live a +3 twinkle tackle from magearna, and synthesis off the damage even if it hits it on the switch as venusaur is faster than magearna. From here, magearna can't do much. Even at +6, fluer cannon is never ohko'ing venusaur and is getting weaker. Venusaur can earthquake the magearna for a 3hit ko, which magearna can try to outheal with pain split, but this doesn't do too much if the venusaur player plays it right. Leech seed can help venusaur to stay healthy passively, while growth helps it to boost up and ko the magearna, as at +1 e-quake 2hit ko's magearna.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 4, Guests: 2)