Quality Control Thundurus [QC 0/2]

[OVERVIEW]

Thundurus carves out a dominant niche in the metagame as a versatile attacker on offensive teams. With its powerful mixed offensive stats, excellent speed tier, and invaluable Ground immunity, Thundurus excels as both a sweeper and a progress maker, fitting seamlessly into Offense or Hyper Offense strategies. Thundurus's access to a myriad of coverage and utility moves effectively allows it to adapt to various counters, preparing for many matchups where its team could otherwise struggle. While Thundurus is formidable, it does face significant challenges from popular scarfers and priority users, and defensive walls that can withstand its assaults. Nonetheless, its role in forcing switches and breaking down opponents' defenses makes it a valuable asset to teams that aim to outpace their adversaries.

[SET]
name: Nasty Plot
move 1: Nasty Plot
move 2: Thunderbolt
move 3: Focus Blast / Grass Knot
move 4: Flash Cannon / Psychic
item: Heavy-Duty Boots / Life Orb
ability: Prankster
nature: Timid
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
tera type: Steel

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Details
====

Focus blast gives Thundurus a high-power attack that hits many foes for strong neutral damage without the commitment of Tera. It also provides super-effective damage to several targets that are immune to or resist Thunderbolt, like Krookodile, Rhyperior, Magnezone, and Brute Bonnet. Without Focus Blast, the latter two can wall Thundurus effectively and threaten to KO him in return. Grass Knot is another option to hit Ground and Rock Types super effectively, particularly those with a 4x Grass weakness like Swampert, Rhyperior, or Quagsire. Flash Cannon takes advantage of the STAB boost from Tera Steel, providing a more accurate and decently powerful attack that hits many targets for neutral damage. Notably, this allows Thundurus to break through Diancie, who threatens to kill Thundurus with its Rock type attacks, or Body Press it Thundurus has used Tera Steel, and who takes pitiful damage from Grass Knot due to its light weight and incredible special defense. Lastly, Psychic is another strong coverage option. It is particularly useful for hitting Dragalge and Vileplume, who resist your Electric, Fighting, and Grass type attacks.

The goal of using Nasty Plot is to take advantage of free setup turns and sweep through weakened teams. For this reason, Nasty Plot Thundurus is best used on Hyper Offense teams with other threatening setup sweepers such as Cloyster or Lycanroc-Dusk, or powerful special attacking breakers such as Toxtricity or Chandelure that wear down Thundurus's defensive checks. Like with any Hyper Offense team, a reliable hazard setting lead like Sticky Web Galvantula can give Thundurus and its teammates some protection against groudned Choice Scarf users, while leads like Spikes Brambleghast or Stealth Rock Lycanroc can weaken foes just enough to put them within range of some moves after a boost. Additionally, if Life Orb is used for an extra boost in power, it is beneficial to have a reliable source of hazard removal on your team due to Thundurus's weakness to Stealth Rock. Finally, allies with stat-lowering moves like Parting Shot or Memento can weaken foes to the point where Thundurus can take a hit whilst setting up.

[SET]
name: Pivot
move 1: Thunderbolt
move 2: Grass Knot / Taunt / Thunder Wave
move 3: U-turn / Volt Switch
move 4: Knock Off

item: Heavy-Duty Boots
ability: Defiant / Prankster
nature: Hasty / Timid
evs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Details
====

Grass Knot is excellent for hitting Ground types like Swampert, Rhyperior, and Krookodile that are immune to Thundurus's primary STAB move, Thunderbolt. U-turn is the preferred pivoting move for Thundurus, as it cannot be blocked by Ground types. Additionally, it deals considerable chip damage to Grass types like Tsareena, Brute Bonnet, and Wo-Chien, even without added attack EVs. Volt Switch can also be used, which takes advantage of your higher special attack and becomes a reliable way to spread damage throughout the enemy team once any Electric immunities have been removed. Knock Off is one of Thundurus's most consistent progress-making tools. It cuts down the longevity of bulky teams by removing key items like Leftovers of Heavy-Duty Boots. It also threatens to remove offensive items like Choice Scarf from opponents that can't KO Thundurus in one hit, leaving your own sweepers or scarfers less vulnerable to being revenge-killed. In a pinch, Thundurus can also use a priority Taunt or Thunder Wave with the help of Prankster, though the loss of coverage is quite detrimental.

Since many Choice Scarfers barely pick up the KO against a Thundurus without any investment in defenses, a slightly bulkier EV spread can be an effective choice. A spread like 116 HP / 20 Def / 120 SpA / 252 Spe survives hits from full HP against common Choice Scarf users including Chandelure's Overheat, Typhlosion-Hisui's Eruption, and Mienshao/Krookodile's Stone Edge, at the cost of damage output.

As an offensive pivot, Thundurus excels on teams that apply pressure through stacking entry hazards. For this reason, Spikes users like Klefki can be used to switch in to super-effective attacks aimed at Thundurus, while the entry hazards it provides takes advantage of Thundurus's ability to force multiple switches from its opponents and the ability to remove Heavy-Duty Boots. Thundurus also pairs well with powerful physical wall breakers such as Gallade, Lycanroc-Dusk, or Choice Band Flygon. Thundurus can lure in walls that would typically check it, while using U-turn to put these teammates in a position to deal massive damage.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
====

Thundurus is not restricted to only being a special attacker, and can instead use its access to powerful physical moves to take advantage of unsuspecting opponents. Gaining access to powerful Flying STAB with Acrobatics allows Thundurus to break through the Grass types that typically give it trouble. This can be accomplished by either running an itemless set similar to a special attacking pivot, or by becoming a setup sweeper through something like Bulk Up + Sitrus Berry, or the more gimmicky Swagger + Mirror Herb.

Despite its weakness to Stealth Rock, Thundurus can still have a niche as a Choice Scarfer. Its particularly useful speed tier allows it to outspeed a Jolly natured Cloyster after a Shell Smash, as well as being faster than every other relevant scarfer in the tier. This speed can catch an opponent off-guard, and with access to two different pivoting moves, keep them on the back foot.

Finally, Nasty Plot sets can also be used effectively on weather teams by running Weather Ball as a coverage option. Snow gives Thundurus access to the powerful Electric + Ice coverage, while either Rain or Sun provides an effective 150BP coverage move as well.

Checks and Counters
====

**Scarfers and Priority Users** - While Thundurus does have a great speed tier in the context of NU, its lack of bulk leaves it vulnerable to hard-hitters like Choice Scarfers Mienshao and Krookodile, or powerful priority moves such as Lycanroc-Dusk's Accelerock or Lucario's Extremespeed. These foes often force Thundurus to Terastilize, which can result in disaster if the opponent predicts correctly. Weather Sweepers like Venusaur or Kingdra can also pose a great threat.

**Setup Sweepers** An unboosted Thundurus lacks the ability to OHKO speed-boosting sweepers such as Dragon Dance Flygon, and is too frail to survive boosted hits. While Thunder Wave can be used to slow down other threats that aren't immune to paralysis, it is often not a worthwhile trade as Thundurus is likely to faint in the process.

**Defensive Walls**: Thundurus has many potent coverage options, but is unable to cover every defensive threat with just one moveset. Grass Knot is necessary to pressure Rhyperior, Focus Blast is necessary to break through Magnezone, Psychic is needed to deal significant damage to Vileplume or Dragalge, and without Flash Cannon, Diancie becomes an issue. Additionally, pivot sets may lack the coverage and raw firepower to break many of the same threats, which can lead to a loss of momentum.

[CREDITS]
Written by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/shengineer.312113/
Quality checked by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/user3.102/
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/user4.103/
Grammar checked by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/user5.104/
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/user6.105/

Last edited:

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
I was waiting until tier shifts to see if there are any meta changes, so I guess I can say my piece now.

[SET]

- I feel like Focus Blast is simply Thundurus's best/most reliable coverage option in this meta and you need good reason to justify dropping it. On top of obliterating Magnezone, Focus Blast offers neutral/super effective coverage against the Grounds (such as Krookodile, Flygon, Swampert, Rhyperior, etc.) while still hitting Grasses like Tsareena and especially Brute Bonnet decently.
- Grass Knot can be considered for more accurate hits vs the Grass-weak Ground-types at the cost of being walled by Zone.
- Raw Flash Cannon is honestly pretty much just for Diancie, but +2 Tera Steel + Flash Cannon can also kinda let you beat the Grasses and Dragalge hard enough. This is also why I don't see Flying Tera Blast as being particularly appealing btw.
- Psychic hits Vileplume and Dragalge that resist the Electric + Fighting combo without requiring the commitment of Tera.
- I don't really see what Sludge Bomb Wave hits; its only target is Tsareena since the other relevant Grasses like Vileplume, Brambleghast, and Torterra aren't even weak to this.

[SET]
move 1: Thunderbolt / Supercell Slam
move 2: Grass Knot / Acrobatics
move 3: Knock Off
move 4: U-turn / Volt Switch
ability: Defiant
evs: 8 HP / 84 Def / 92 SpA / 72 SpD / 252 Spe
tera type: Steel / Electric
252 SpA Chandelure Overheat vs. 8 HP / 72 SpD Thundurus: 255-300 (84.7 - 99.6%)
252 SpA Typhlosion-Hisui Eruption (150 BP) vs. 8 HP / 72 SpD Thundurus: 255-300 (84.7 - 99.6%)
252 Atk Mienshao Stone Edge vs. 8 HP / 84 Def Thundurus: 254-300 (84.3 - 99.6%)
252 Atk Krookodile Stone Edge vs. 8 HP / 84 Def Thundurus: 242-286 (80.3 - 95%)
- This bulk investment is customized to survive the strongest attacks from the common Choice Scarfers to be able to Knock Off their Scarf to neuter them, letting Thundurus either serve as an emergency check to them or punish overconfident Scarfers that think they can pick up an OHKO.
- I do not feel that Thundurus's unboosted physical attacks are worth much at all; Supercell Slam is mid into most of its targets which either don't die or can punish contact (not to mention it's a needlessly risky move compared to TBolt), while Acrobatics requires you to ditch Boots which you definitely do not want on a pivot set, and especially not on this EV spread.

That's all I have to say for now; good WIP in the meantime

I was waiting until tier shifts to see if there are any meta changes, so I guess I can say my piece now.

[SET]

- I feel like Focus Blast is simply Thundurus's best/most reliable coverage option in this meta and you need good reason to justify dropping it. On top of obliterating Magnezone, Focus Blast offers neutral/super effective coverage against the Grounds (such as Krookodile, Flygon, Swampert, Rhyperior, etc.) while still hitting Grasses like Tsareena and especially Brute Bonnet decently.
- Grass Knot can be considered for more accurate hits vs the Grass-weak Ground-types at the cost of being walled by Zone.
- Raw Flash Cannon is honestly pretty much just for Diancie, but +2 Tera Steel + Flash Cannon can also kinda let you beat the Grasses and Dragalge hard enough. This is also why I don't see Flying Tera Blast as being particularly appealing btw.
- Psychic hits Vileplume and Dragalge that resist the Electric + Fighting combo without requiring the commitment of Tera.
- I don't really see what Sludge Bomb Wave hits; its only target is Tsareena since the other relevant Grasses like Vileplume, Brambleghast, and Torterra aren't even weak to this.

[SET]
move 1: Thunderbolt / Supercell Slam
move 2: Grass Knot / Acrobatics
move 3: Knock Off
move 4: U-turn / Volt Switch
ability: Defiant
evs: 8 HP / 84 Def / 92 SpA / 72 SpD / 252 Spe
tera type: Steel / Electric

- This bulk investment is customized to survive the strongest attacks from the common Choice Scarfers to be able to Knock Off their Scarf to neuter them, letting Thundurus either serve as an emergency check to them or punish overconfident Scarfers that think they can pick up an OHKO.
- I do not feel that Thundurus's unboosted physical attacks are worth much at all; Supercell Slam is mid into most of its targets which either don't die or can punish contact (not to mention it's a needlessly risky move compared to TBolt), while Acrobatics requires you to ditch Boots which you definitely do not want on a pivot set, and especially not on this EV spread.

That's all I have to say for now; good WIP in the meantime
I think I underestimated focus blast, will include and remove sludge bomb.
I would tend to agree about the unboosted physical moves will remove them from the main set, maybe they deserve a mention in OO? Should I mention any other coverage moves than grass knot?
I hadn't really considered the bulky spread for pivot, but it makes sense. I think dumping most of the defense stats into HP might be better though? it lets you get away with more SpA investment too. For example, for the same calcs:

Timid Nature, EVs: 116 HP / 20 Def / 120 SpA / 252 Spe
252 SpA Typhlosion-Hisui Eruption (150 BP) vs. 116 HP / 0 SpD Thundurus: 277-327 (84.4 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Mienshao Stone Edge vs. 116 HP / 20 Def Thundurus: 276-326 (84.1 - 99.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Also steel is probably just the best tera for every set.

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
add remove comments
[OVERVIEW]

Thundurus carves out a dominant niche in the metagame as a versatile attacker on offensive teams. With its powerful mixed offensive stats, excellent speed tier, and invaluable Ground immunity, Thundurus excels as both a sweeper and a progress maker, fitting seamlessly into Offense or Hyper Offense strategies. both of your first sentences address that Thundurus is good on offense builds; you definitely don't need two sentences that basically say the same info. I'd just axe the first sentence entirely because it provides less relevant info as to WHY Thundurus is so good on those builds Thundurus's access to a myriad of coverage and utility moves effectively allows it to adapt to various counters, preparing for many matchups where its team could otherwise struggle. While Thundurus is formidable, it does face significant challenges from popular scarfers and priority users like what? what challenges does it face? this is really vague right now, and defensive walls which ones? that can withstand its assaults what are they doing back after tanking an attack? do they actually beat Thundurus one-on-one? or is it just trading damage, getting off a Toxic, etc. Nonetheless, its role in forcing switches and breaking down opponents' defenses makes it a valuable asset to teams that aim to outpace their adversaries. conclusion sentences like these aren't needed

one specific point I want mentioned up here is how fake Thundurus's bulk is. Mienshao CC does a million and literally 2HKOes you if it's Tera Fighting, and the Ground-type Choice Scarf Pokemon all have coverage for you, so trying to aggressively predict Earthquakes is risky business

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Details
====

Focus blast gives Thundurus a high-power attack that hits many foes for strong neutral damage without the commitment of Tera. It also provides super-effective damage to several targets that are immune to or resist Thunderbolt, like Krookodile, Rhyperior, Magnezone, and Brute Bonnet. Without Focus Blast, the latter two can wall Thundurus effectively and threaten to KO him in return. Grass Knot is another option to hit Ground and Rock Types super effectively, particularly those with a 4x Grass weakness like Swampert, Rhyperior, or Quagsire. Flash Cannon takes advantage of the STAB boost from Tera Steel, providing a more accurate and decently powerful attack that hits many targets for neutral damage. Notably, this allows Thundurus to break through Diancie, who threatens to kill Thundurus with its Rock type attacks, or Body Press it Thundurus has used Tera Steel, and who takes pitiful damage from Grass Knot due to its light weight and incredible special defense. this sentence is like twice as long as it needs to be, but I'd also mention that Tera Steel Flash Cannon often gets the job done well enough against Pokemon you'd run Psychic for, particularly because of what it offers defensively Lastly, Psychic is another strong coverage option. It is particularly useful for hitting Dragalge and Vileplume, who resist your Electric, Fighting, and Grass type attacks. Tera Steel... (explain uses of it beyond amping up Flash Cannon, ie resistance to Accelerock and potential setup opportunities you get)

The goal of using Nasty Plot is to take advantage of free setup turns and sweep through weakened teams. For this reason, Nasty Plot Thundurus is best used on Hyper Offense teams with other threatening setup sweepers such as Cloyster or Lycanroc-Dusk, or powerful special attacking breakers such as Toxtricity or Chandelure that wear down Thundurus's defensive checks. Like with any Hyper Offense team, a reliable hazard setting lead like Sticky Web Galvantula can give Thundurus and its teammates some protection against groudned Choice Scarf users, while leads like Spikes Brambleghast or Stealth Rock Lycanroc personally, I'd mention something offensive like Mew or Diancie here, especially because they have some offensive synergy wrt weakening special walls for Thundurus can weaken foes just enough to put them within range of some moves after a boost. Additionally, if Life Orb is used for an extra boost in power, it is beneficial to have a reliable source of hazard removal like what? on your team due to Thundurus's weakness to Stealth Rock. Finally, allies with stat-lowering moves like Parting Shot or Memento can weaken foes to the point where Thundurus can take a hit whilst setting up.

[SET]
move 1: Thunderbolt
move 2: Grass Knot / Taunt / Thunder Wave
move 3: U-turn / Volt Switch
move 4: Knock Off
ability: Defiant / Prankster
nature: Hasty / Timid
evs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Details
====

Grass Knot is excellent for hitting Ground types like Swampert, Rhyperior, and Krookodile that are immune to Thundurus's primary STAB move, Thunderbolt. U-turn is the preferred pivoting move for Thundurus, as it cannot be blocked by Ground types. Additionally, it deals considerable chip damage to Grass types like Tsareena, Brute Bonnet, and Wo-Chien, even without added attack EVs. Volt Switch can also be used, which takes advantage of your higher special attack and becomes a reliable way to spread damage throughout the enemy team once any Electric immunities have been removed. Knock Off is one of Thundurus's most consistent progress-making tools. It cuts down the longevity of bulky teams by removing key items like Leftovers of Heavy-Duty Boots. It also threatens to remove offensive items like Choice Scarf from opponents that can't KO Thundurus in one hit, leaving your own sweepers or scarfers less vulnerable to being revenge-killed. prob worth mentioning AV Reuni/Zone too In a pinch, Thundurus can also use a priority Taunt or Thunder Wave with the help of Prankster, though the loss of coverage is quite detrimental.

Since many Choice Scarfers barely pick up the KO against a Thundurus without any investment in defenses, a slightly bulkier EV spread can be an effective choice. A spread like 116 HP / 20 Def / 120 SpA / 252 Spe survives hits from full HP against common Choice Scarf users including Chandelure's Overheat, Typhlosion-Hisui's Eruption, and Mienshao/Krookodile's Stone Edge, at the cost of damage output.

As an offensive pivot, Thundurus excels on teams that apply pressure through stacking entry hazards. For this reason, Spikes users like Klefki can be used to switch in to super-effective attacks aimed at Thundurus, while the entry hazards it provides takes advantage of Thundurus's ability to force multiple switches from its opponents and the ability to remove Heavy-Duty Boots. Thundurus also pairs well with powerful physical wall breakers such as Gallade, Lycanroc-Dusk, or Choice Band Flygon. Thundurus can lure in walls that would typically check it, while using U-turn to put these teammates in a position to deal massive damage.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
====

Thundurus is not restricted to only being a special attacker, and can instead use its access to powerful physical moves to take advantage of unsuspecting opponents. Gaining access to powerful Flying STAB with Acrobatics allows Thundurus to break through the Grass types that typically give it trouble. This can be accomplished by either running an itemless set similar to a special attacking pivot, or by becoming a setup sweeper through something like Bulk Up + Sitrus Berry, or the more gimmicky Swagger + Mirror Herb.

Despite its weakness to Stealth Rock, Thundurus can still have a niche as a Choice Scarfer. Its particularly useful speed tier allows it to outspeed a Jolly natured Cloyster after a Shell Smash, as well as being faster than every other relevant scarfer in the tier. This speed can catch an opponent off-guard, and with access to two different pivoting moves, keep them on the back foot.

Finally, Nasty Plot sets can also be used effectively on weather teams by running Weather Ball as a coverage option. Snow gives Thundurus access to the powerful Electric + Ice coverage, while either Rain or Sun provides an effective 150BP coverage move as well.

Checks and Counters
====

**Scarfers and Priority Users** - While Thundurus does have a great speed tier in the context of NU, its lack of bulk leaves it vulnerable to hard-hitters like Choice Scarfers Mienshao and Krookodile, or powerful priority moves such as Lycanroc-Dusk's Accelerock or Lucario's Extremespeed. These foes often force Thundurus to Terastilize, which can result in disaster if the opponent predicts correctly. Weather Sweepers like Venusaur or Kingdra can also pose a great threat.

**Setup Sweepers** An unboosted Thundurus lacks the ability to OHKO speed-boosting sweepers such as Dragon Dance Flygon probably can list a couple more, and is too frail to survive boosted hits. While Thunder Wave can be used to slow down other threats that aren't immune to paralysis, it is often not a worthwhile trade as Thundurus is likely to faint in the process.

**Defensive Special Walls**: Thundurus has many potent coverage options, but is unable to cover every defensive threat with just one moveset. Grass Knot is necessary to pressure Rhyperior, Focus Blast is necessary to break through Magnezone, Psychic is needed to deal significant damage to Vileplume or Dragalge, and without Flash Cannon, Diancie becomes an issue. Additionally, pivot sets may lack the coverage and raw firepower to break many of the same threats, which can lead to a loss of momentum. maybe mention a few generic special walls like Alolan Muk and AV Reuniclus that Thundurus has more significant struggles against

[CREDITS]
Written by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/shengineer.312113/
Quality checked by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/user3.102/
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/user4.103/
Grammar checked by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/user5.104/
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/user6.105/

make sure you read up the GP standards thread; there's a good bit of Smogon-specific terminology that you've got wrong atm. qc 1/2 when implemented

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)