Resource SM Simple Question, Simple Answer Thread

Why is frustration legal considering its only use is to force 50/50s with ditto, and adds an element of rng thats completely unnecessary seeing as its carbon copy exists
Frustration just isn't a problem, and the rng you think of is just a mind game. The real reason frustration shouldn't be legal is that it implies we are abusing our pokemon before the battles

Did you just lose because you had max happiness ditto

but real answer, Frustration is just a regular move. Examples of an RNG reliant strategy are things like Moody or Swagger or Acupressure, where it actually comes down to random chance to determine the outcome of a game. Return v Frustration is just a mindgame like any other
I can respect the idea behind it, but whats the mindgame? Its a pure rock-paper-scissors dynamic. If there is something hidden that im missing, where theres some secret reason to use one over the other for reasons other than this interaction?

other mindgames are workable if you lose them. Other mindgames are a lot more than a coinflip. Other mindgames are healthy and dependant on what you know about the enemy player, and forces people out of their comfort zone

this is just “you chose heads but i chose tails so now one of your moves doesnt work” and theres no incentive to choose one over the other, so it might as well be random

Take fear and hungers coin flip mechanic for an (admittedly loose) example. It gives you control of whether you pick heads or tails, but theres no actual difference between the two, and its completely arbitrary as to which one you pick. Is this a mindgame in the “game” sense of the word because you got to choose which of the 50/50s to take?

i dont even play this meta so im genuinely asking from a point of “i dont understand” but this seems dumb and very easily preventable

Man I don’t want to be condescending but this is a very odd thing to get caught up about. Most veteran SM players have only experienced this interaction once, if that. Losing a game because your maximum happiness ditto didn’t copy frustration correctly would be dumb but there are dumb things in the tier that actually come up regularly, it’s not that deep

Reactions: TPH
Alr, i prob just overreacted when i heard about the interaction
in my years of playing SM OU, the weirdest ditto interaction I've ever had was a ditto copying my thundurus therian and then having the same hidden power type. I've been told that's not how it works on cart and I was running HP Ice at the time so it was definitely strange

in my years of playing SM OU, the weirdest ditto interaction I've ever had was a ditto copying my thundurus therian and then having the same hidden power type. I've been told that's not how it works on cart and I was running HP Ice at the time so it was definitely strange
Ditto doesn't copy IVs, but it does copy stats after transforming
. this means you can set your HP type on ditto to whatever you want while still being the same stats

Ditto doesn't copy IVs, but it does copy stats after transforming
. this means you can set your HP type on ditto to whatever you want while still being the same stats
Hidden Power type is effectively independent of IVs in gen 7 due to hyper training though, it's why you don't see weird shit like 2 atk 30 spatk Zapdos to have HP Grass for example

Note that I used a Gen 3 IV spread for this HP grass so it very well could be different in like gen 6

Hidden Power type is effectively independent of IVs in gen 7 due to hyper training though, it's why you don't see weird shit like 2 atk 30 spatk Zapdos to have HP Grass for example

Note that I used a Gen 3 IV spread for this HP grass so it very well could be different in like gen 6
Interesting, after testing it out it seems like Ditto's analysis has some misleading info on it. It has some descriptions of using certain IVs to get certain Hidden Power types, but if this isn't needed then it's suboptimal. Idk why I just assumed that because it was on an analysis it was true, should have learned that from the old gliscor analyses lol. I'll edit it soon

edit: I’ve been told there’s a teambuilder glitch regarding Ditto hidden power; I’ll hold off on this for now

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 0)