Tournament SCL III OU Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

1LDK

Vengeance
is a Top Team Rater

1LDK Report: The Grand Finals + The TB because of course there's one

After I don't know how many fucking weeks here we are in the grand finals, weebs vs orange cats, as for me, since this is the finals, I think It's time I put some actual effort into crafting this post, and aside from the review, ill do some extra stuff that I hope people like, I think this will turn out like a The Muppets episode, without further ado, lets dance.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Studio Gible vs Orange Islanders

:zapdos: :slowking galar: :heatran: :zamazenta: :dragapult: :meowscarada: mind gaming vs aesf :zapdos: :ogerpon-wellspring: :great tusk: :zamazenta: :kingambit: :slowking galar:

aesf's glowking start by spreading twave on both mind's glowking and heatran, ogerpon does a good chunk to meow and U-turns on pult. We see some back and forth pivoting untill Kingambit finds a good set up opportunity in zapdos and trades himself for it. aesf´s zapdos takes a crit stone edge from zama and counters with crit hurricane, killing him instantly. Dragapult picks up zapdos and pivots to glowking because he doesn't wanna deal with the twave coming, the german glowking gets para haxed, which means free entry to tusk without having to worry about fs, tusk actually lives a flower trick by the skin of his mammoth teeth and not only spins the hazards but also 1 shots heatran with a headlong rush. gaming´s glowking tera waters to survive the tusk and kill it, oger gets a free hit vs pult, meow pats glowking with knock off, and zama sets up ID, gets para haxed once, but gets lucky and doesn't happen again, allowing for a sweep

:zapdos: :enamorus: :slowking galar: :kingambit: :ogerpon-wellspring: :cinderace: Piyush25 vs Welli0u :Zamazenta: :Samurott-Hisui: :tornadus-therian: :clodsire: :gholdengo: :Zapdos:

We begin by clodsire setting rocks and zapdos asking glowking to pull up, glowking tanks an eq and lets ogerpon go ballistic early game sd + spedef boost from tera allowed her to tank a bleakwind storm and a shadow ball, and OHKOs Tornadus and 2HKOs Gholdengo, clodsire walls zapdos and nails him with the toxic, kingambit gets on the eq and forces clod into samu, who gets heavely injured with kowtow + low kick, but gets swiftly disposed of by zapdos. Cinderace burns zapdos and scrambles the hazards away. zama finally gets Piyush's zapdos with a stone edge, tera steel + heavy slam squashes oger and ace. Welli0u's zapdos pivots into samu who leaves enam barely walking and clod nails her with the toxic + rocks and with eq pressure + zama in the back, Welli0u wins

:zapdos: :rillaboom: :zamazenta: :iron moth: :gholdengo: :ting lu: Fogbound Lake vs Wolf :rillaboom: :hatterene: :zamazenta: :heatran: :hawlucha: :ursaluna:

We start red-hot by Wolf using tera poison and killing fog's zama and zapdos with a guts boosted facade. Gholdengo forces ursa out in favor of rilla, who knocks out ghol's boots, tanks a thunder wave and pivots out, Heatran with air balloon sets rocks and overheats vs Ting Lu who does little. zama predicts tera ghost from ting lu and goes for LO boosted crunch, while ting lu puts its efforts in hazard stacking and chipping, once dead, rilla comes back and kills an ursa that was at 1 hp left, both rillas uturn into heatran and moth respectevly, fogbound lake pivots around to bait overheat, which he gets and uses this chance to force heatran out and kill wolf's rilla via hazards. Moth tries to stall heatran but to no avail, so rilla is sacked for another SpA drop, which ghold uses to kill hat with hex, hax heatran out with twave + hex, hex a desperate hawlucha and raining money over zama

+

Tiebreaker game

:cinderace: :dragapult: :zamazenta: :enamorus: :kingambit: :gholdengo: mind gaming vs Welli0u :iron valiant: :landorus-therian: :amoonguss::kingambit: :garganacl: :dragapult:

Enamorus and Lando curtain jerk, gholdengo tanks the stone edge and deals a lot with MiR, kingambit comes in to scare dengo out, but gholdengo hits focus blasts, and kingambit explodes. Mind gaming doubles and gets another gholdengo switch in vs amoongus, NPs and puts in works but gets forced out by tera electric garganacl. Cinderace U-turns on dragapult making 32%. asuming dragapult is not hasty nature, this thing is actually choice band, kingambit quickly bites lando with kowtow and lets zama get in the incoming rocks, amoongus tries to wall zama, but psychic fangs punishes this idea, making 53% towards the mushroom. Garganacl manages to stall out the damage and get back to full, and kills ace while changing the rock's sides. Enam just barely fails to KO garg with 2 earth powers, and stalls her out with salt cure + recover. Kingambit uses tera grass, which while it exists, it's normally considered a meme, with this, he tanks the body press and gets a free sd. Welli0u answers by sacking lando and forcing a 1v1 trade with Destiny Bond Valiant. Mind gaming's Dragapult and Garganacl get in at the same time, amoongus comes to tank the draco meteor, but dragapult misses, so it's a free Foul Play into ghold, a clever double switch puts dragapult back into position to attack amoonguss and this time it lands. Zama takes the foul play and finally kills amoongus, Welli0u's dragapult comes to burn zama, but mind gaming's dragon receives it. With clever play, gholdengo gets in a will-o-wisp and goes for custap berry shadow ball, killing pult on the spot. And with a +2 focus blast + Draco meteor, garganacl finally goes down, mind gaming wins, and with zomog winning vs JRL, The Studio Gibles win SCL 3

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

here are the usage stats for the final week, the TB and the overall

Code:
+ ---- + ------------------ + ---- + ------- + ------- +
| Rank | Pokemon            | Use  | Usage % |  Win %  |
| 1    | Zapdos             |    5 |  83.33% |  60.00% |
| 1    | Zamazenta-*        |    5 |  83.33% |  60.00% |
| 3    | Slowking-Galar     |    3 |  50.00% |  33.33% |
| 4    | Gholdengo          |    2 |  33.33% | 100.00% |
| 4    | Ogerpon-Wellspring |    2 |  33.33% |  50.00% |
| 4    | Kingambit          |    2 |  33.33% |  50.00% |
| 4    | Rillaboom          |    2 |  33.33% |  50.00% |
| 4    | Heatran            |    2 |  33.33% |   0.00% |
| 9    | Great Tusk         |    1 |  16.67% | 100.00% |
| 9    | Iron Moth          |    1 |  16.67% | 100.00% |
| 9    | Ting-Lu            |    1 |  16.67% | 100.00% |
| 9    | Samurott-Hisui     |    1 |  16.67% | 100.00% |
| 9    | Tornadus-Therian   |    1 |  16.67% | 100.00% |
| 9    | Clodsire           |    1 |  16.67% | 100.00% |
| 9    | Dragapult          |    1 |  16.67% |   0.00% |
| 9    | Meowscarada        |    1 |  16.67% |   0.00% |
| 9    | Hatterene          |    1 |  16.67% |   0.00% |
| 9    | Hawlucha           |    1 |  16.67% |   0.00% |
| 9    | Ursaluna           |    1 |  16.67% |   0.00% |
| 9    | Enamorus           |    1 |  16.67% |   0.00% |
| 9    | Cinderace          |    1 |  16.67% |   0.00% |

Code:
| 1    | Kingambit          |    2 | 100.00% |  50.00% |
| 1    | Dragapult          |    2 | 100.00% |  50.00% |
| 3    | Cinderace          |    1 |  50.00% | 100.00% |
| 3    | Zamazenta-*        |    1 |  50.00% | 100.00% |
| 3    | Enamorus           |    1 |  50.00% | 100.00% |
| 3    | Gholdengo          |    1 |  50.00% | 100.00% |
| 3    | Iron Valiant       |    1 |  50.00% |   0.00% |
| 3    | Landorus-Therian   |    1 |  50.00% |   0.00% |
| 3    | Amoonguss          |    1 |  50.00% |   0.00% |
| 3    | Garganacl          |    1 |  50.00% |   0.00% |

Code:
| 1    | Great Tusk         |  104 |  35.62% |  51.92% |
| 2    | Rillaboom          |   86 |  29.45% |  59.30% |
| 3    | Dragapult          |   83 |  28.42% |  50.60% |
| 4    | Kingambit          |   81 |  27.74% |  46.91% |
| 5    | Gholdengo          |   80 |  27.40% |  52.50% |
| 6    | Sneasler           |   73 |  25.00% |  64.38% |
| 7    | Gliscor            |   69 |  23.63% |  44.93% |
| 8    | Ting-Lu            |   59 |  20.21% |  50.85% |
| 9    | Heatran            |   58 |  19.86% |  70.69% |
| 9    | Dragonite          |   58 |  19.86% |  44.83% |

I'm bringing back the ranks for this one, let's see how the overall records ended up, be aware that the platoon, terrors, glibles and islanders have inflated records due to them getting in, also remember that these are OU records and everyone should be respected

Meru 3-0
Inder 2-0
Laroxyl 2-0

hellom 1-0

Mind gaming 8-4
Fogbound Lake 3-2

Finchinator 8-2
xavgb 7-1
Rubyblood 6-3
oldspicemike 6-3
DAHLI 5-2
BIHI 5-2

Storm Zone 5-3
mncmt 5-3
Thiago Nunes 4-1

Isza 4-3
Niko 4-3
Nat 4-3
Kushalos 3-1
aesf 2-1

Welli0u 6-6
zioziotrip 5-5
z0mOG 4-4
Blunder 4-4
Lily 2-2
Achimoo 1-1
mimilimi 1-1
London Beats 1-1
CTC 1-1

lax 4-5
Wolf 4-6
ox the fox 3-4
Michaelderbeste2 3-4
Sylveon used Calm Mind 3-4
joeshh 2-3
Sage 2-3
Malekith 2-7
Piyush25 1-2
Togkey 1-2
Highv0ltag3 1-5
Carkoala 1-5
TPP 1-6

ash ketchum gamer 0-1
meminger21 0-1
potato chan 0-1
Taka 0-1
Icemaster 0-1

baloor 0-2
Jytcambell 0-2
procorphish 0-2
clean 0-2
Drifting 0-3
Gondra 0-3
Aberforth 0-4
Separation 0-4

With that in mind, let's see how the tournament was shaped up by the meta

Week 1 and 2 can be described as the bear market, where the prices for the coin drop, making you think they are gonna dip, and you panic sold, only for them to start picking up again, and you sold your entire bitcoin stock like the bum you are. The Ursaluna meta was simply horrible, and I think everyone will agree it's gone

Weeks 3, through 7 were the Gliscor meta, where your ass would get badly poisoned, your feet would get stuck in spikes, and ghosts would come out to curse your soul and dignity out

Week 8 was sneasler meta

Week 9 onwards this feels like a blur to me, ain gonna lie, but I remember zapdos + Ting Lu cores + rillaboom

And finally: fun trivia for your family and friends

1) The Most used mon is Great tusk, with 96 teams having it
2) The Least used mon is a tie between Brute Bonnet, Charizard, Lucario, Armarouge, Blissey, Moltres-Galar, both Arcanines, Sinitcha, Thundurus Therian, Goodra-Hisui, Chandelure, Mamoswine, Gyarados, Muk alola, toxtricity, bisharp and bannete, all with 1 team
3) Speaking of banette, she is the least viable mon that has appeared in the tournament
4) If we add the Wins and Losses of every single person that has played in OU, the W/L record would be of 148 wins and 145 loses, which would sit us in positive record
5) z0mOG vs Highv0ltag3 was the only match that did not happen (z0mOG won via act)
6) The first match of the tournament was Mana vs Sensei Axew and the last match was zomog vs JRL
7) The colors I used for the teams when making this post:

Gibles: Eastern Blue (37, 150, 190)
Islanders: Tango (237, 127, 31)
Platoon: Dark Blue (5, 2, 191)
Terrors: Limed Oak (176, 145, 86)
Machines: Cerise (211, 35, 182)
Foxes: Lotus (121, 56, 56)
Shoguns: Viking (93, 179, 222)
Dynamos: Thunderbird (201, 56, 33)
Breakers: Pomegranate (238, 47, 47)
Spartans: Cosmic (110, 54, 99)

And with that, its over, its finally over, this tour, congrats on everyone who did their best to win, even if you fail, you tried your best, and i hope better times come for you. As for me, unlike some of you, I did not have fun at all in DLC1, I did not made a single good team in this era, not a single heat project came out, and I fail everyone around me, combined with university, this was for sure stresssing to do

Now, regarding SPL, we are going to have 20 matches, and while im on summer vacation, most of these players are in winter right now, whichs means they are probably playing on sunday, and one thing is just watching the match, the other is having to write it all over again, its not even hard its just tedious. so, if you really wanna see me do this by the time SPL XV rolls around, consider helping me when writing, I have nothing to pay you, except the likes you would get for it, just giving me a like would mean a lot, I know i was joking at the start when I was treating this as just a mere like farm, but I know theres a lot of good players who read this, so just a bit of support would go a long way

And with that, its time to say goodbye, if I miss anything, feel free to let me know, now, its time to rest, adios!

Last edited:

kd458

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Threat Of The Week: Finals

Welcome to the final Threat Of The Week, summing up the last week of the Smogon Champion's League; congrats to Studio Gible on the win! Although these stats are not too meaningful this week, considering that there were only 4 games and the meta has changed completely with the introduction of DLC2, I'd still like to finish off this project and take a look at the winners and losers of the SCL finals.

This week's best performances:

#1: Zamazenta
1703559320017.png

Differential: +6, K:D: 3, Uses: 6

For the second week running, Zama takes the crown of the mon with the highest differential, appearing in all 4 games and closing it out for aesf vs mind gaming by picking up 3 kills, while also taking 3 in Welli0u vs Piyush25. Za definitely proved itself in the last couple weeks of the DLC1 meta, with some set variety still present as aesf brought a Tera Fire Iron Defense set into mind gaming's Boots Zama while Welli0u used a Tera Steel Boots set as a revenge killer with a strong Heavy Slam.

#2: Gholdengo
1703559362160.png

Differential: +4, K:D: 3, Uses: 3

Gholdengo came 3 times and won 3 times, helping mind gaming claim the title in the tiebreaks while also going 4-0 in a last mon clutch in a game which has to be seen to be believed. Defensive sets were popular, but mind brought a really interesting Nasty Plot 3 attack set with a Custap Berry that clutched up to take out a Dragapult late-game that otherwise would likely have forced things to come down to a speed tie or even just won the game. Great mon that fits well with hazards but also works great as a stand-alone mon that can break or act as a defensive check.

#3: Garganacl
1703560288303.png

Differential: +2, K:D: 3, Uses: 1

Garg only came once and didn't win, but it showed up in the tiebreaks and more than pulled its weight with a Tera Electric set taking down 3 mons and being the last one standing for Welli0u before finally being felled by a Draco Meteor. Really good mon that may be a little more niche in a meta filled with Encore and hazard stack, but not much is running Covert Cloak right now and Garg can thrive as a result.

Who lost out this week?

Not many mons did really badly this week; 7 tied for 2nd last with a differential of -1, all of which picking up no kills but only one death. Two in particular did worse than others though, so only those will be listed here!

#24: Zapdos
1703562063281.png

Differential: -2, K:D: 0.5, Uses: 5

Zapdos came on 5 teams, picked up 2 kills and died 4 times, appearing in all but the tiebreaks on one if not both sides of the field. As before, this does reflect its current usage as more of a defensive pivot that'll get sacrificed than an offensive one which aims to pick up multiple kills, but an an uptick in Stone Edge usage on Zamazenta along with the prevalence of mons like Slowking-Galar and Clodsire often put a halt to it before it could accomplish much.

#24: Kingambit
1703562807747.png

Differential: -2, K:D: 0.5, Uses: 4

Gambit rounds out an otherwise great season with the worst performance we've seen from it, picking up no kills twice while trading 1 for 1 in its other two appearances. Although not lacking a threatening presence on the field in the games it came, the rise of Zama along with Wisp Pult and other checks like Great Tusk and even Lando-T kept it in check this week and limited its offensive power greatly.

Here are the raw stats for the week, although this doesn't include win rates, data on which mons took themselves out or those which ended up finishing off a game.
Code:
Rank        Name  Uses  Kills  Deaths   K:D  Differential
1      Zamazenta     6    9.0     3.0  3.0           6.0
2      Gholdengo     3    6.0     2.0  3.0           4.0
3      Garganacl     1    3.0     1.0  3.0           2.0
4      Ogerpon-W     2    2.0     1.0  2.0           1.0
4       Ursaluna     1    2.0     1.0  2.0           1.0
6      Dragapult     3    2.0     2.0  1.0           0.0
6        Heatran     2    2.0     2.0  1.0           0.0
6     Great Tusk     1    1.0     1.0  1.0           0.0
6    Meowscarada     1    1.0     1.0  1.0           0.0
6        Ting-Lu     1    1.0     1.0  1.0           0.0
6   Iron Valiant     1    1.0     1.0  1.0           0.0
12    Samurott-H     1    0.0     0.0  0.0           0.0
12      Clodsire     1    0.0     0.0  0.0           0.0
14    Slowking-G     3    1.0     2.0  0.5          -1.0
14     Cinderace     2    1.0     2.0  0.5          -1.0
14     Rillaboom     2    1.0     2.0  0.5          -1.0
17      Enamorus     2    0.0     1.0  0.0          -1.0
17    Tornadus-T     1    0.0     1.0  0.0          -1.0
17     Hatterene     1    0.0     1.0  0.0          -1.0
17     Iron Moth     1    0.0     1.0  0.0          -1.0
17      Hawlucha     1    0.0     1.0  0.0          -1.0
17    Landorus-T     1    0.0     1.0  0.0          -1.0
17     Amoonguss     1    0.0     1.0  0.0          -1.0
24        Zapdos     5    2.0     4.0  0.5          -2.0
24     Kingambit     4    2.0     4.0  0.5          -2.0

Thank you so much for reading! No shoutouts this week as the low number of games means that there were no real outliers that saw great success, with the high stakes maybe toning down the heat a little. Again, a massive congrats to Studio Gible for the SCL win, it's been my pleasure to have ran this little weekly project and I hope you've enjoyed this little slice of analysis on the tournament as much as I have. See you for SCL IV!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)