Public Act Calls In Team Tours

Status
Not open for further replies.

avarice

greedy for love
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
With the recent discussion on the old gen team tours, I wanted to post on one of the current flaws with the unofficial subforum tours that isn't related to the formatting of the season. As it stands, plenty of games go unplayed to act not because of sub availability but because of abuse of a faulty ruleset. The tactic in question would be that as it stands managers are only required to ping the opposing teams' managers and are allowed to do so in manager chats in Discord that make it impossible for any other teammate to see.

Official team tours or bigger sub forums' ones like UUPL there are more eyes on the tournament so instances like this are less likely. Also, some tiers make team/player roles to tag (generally ppl are more likely to be in a lower tier discord than an oldgen cord i think?). Could normalize using the main ROA cord or the unofficial section of smogtours (obv can't do team tags for stours tho) to ping more users that are online rather than just managers.

I also think even if it seems redundant there should be a post on the week thread to make it clear that rescheduling is rejected, tagging relevant players and opposing managers ofc.

This is very easily fixable by just having a taggable team-wide discord role in the appropriate server - a lot of the PS Team Tours already do this for their side tours, and the official rule for official tours states this is what you have to tag. I never understood why there aren't team-wide discord roles for other side tours, but it's not like it's hard to do and it would solve much of this act fishing if you're required to ping the team role that has all the players. I understand sometimes not all the players are in the appropriate discord server, but it should be the captain/manager's responsibility to get as many of them in there and ask a mod to give them the roles by pinging them all at once to make it easier to hand them out. Again, not sure why this isn't already being done. Being able to tag only managers and get an act win always seemed a bit silly to me - managers shouldn't have to set the alarms to 4:30 AM when a game is scheduled just to prepare a sub.

For example in a subforum team tour like UUPL or RUPL, once the teams are set, it takes very minimal effort for the managers to say "@ mod here are my players to give the Super Cetitans role to: @max99 @max843 @rudy222 @kimberly331" etc. Will take 2 min max of the time for the manager, 45 seconds max for the mod giving the role.

Raiza

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
you scheduled a game and you decided you did not want to play even though you could have (your own manager said they would've gotten you to play if they were around, so clearly you could play and just didn't for whatever reason) and told my player 1 minute before scheduled time.
You saying you could've showed up at xx:29 and played just makes you look more ridiculous and proves that you were available for the game after all.
1692760682629.png
I proceeded to tag both of your managers in the BWPL discord asking for either a sub or act.
1692759859496.png
You did't warn your team beforehand about the possibility you didn't want to play, so your manangers weren't online thinking the game was going to get done without problems and were completely surprised you didn't when they logged on.
1692760771200.png
1692760000226.png
We waited 40 (10 more than required) minutes, after which Guille had to leave. Your managers got online around that time and were then fully aware of the situation since I tagged and expressed our intention to either play a sub or call act, the substitute ended up not getting made and Guille wasn't around anymore to play. Additionally, even 40 minutes after scheduled time I still tried to get the game done by tagging Guille twice in our discord asking if he was still around for the game. Clearly if we were just fishing for act we would've waited just for the 30 minutes, dipped, and you wouldn't have heard anything from us after. I kept comunicating with your managers throughout.
1692761176438.png

1692761416858.png

The rules are fine, you fucked up and you got acted, stop trying to spin the story to make us look bad when we followed protocol and the entire fault for this situation is on you and your decision to not play the game for 0 reasons outside ''this is tb so I can force an extension''. Us making a public activity win post asap wouldn't have changed anything, those get made after the 30 minutes elapse so you couldn't have just showed up and played, and all it would've done is take away every possibility of a reschedule happening. If you weren't aware of what was happening I'm sorry but then it was just poor communication from the behalf of your own team, once I tag your managers it's natural to assume that the rest of your team knows what's going on.

Last edited:

Amaranth

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
UPL Champion
The tactic in question would be that as it stands managers are only required to ping the opposing teams' managers and are allowed to do so in manager chats in Discord that make it impossible for any other teammate to see.
This thread is built on a faulty premise:

teamwide.png

Team tournament hosts failing to uphold the rule to the letter is a different issue, but the rule is already as you request it to be - you need to ping the team role, not just the managers, to be eligible for activity - so this thread serves no purpose. Locking.

Edit, to clarify: I am not saying the rule is commonly applied in unofficial PLs - very frequently many hosts take 'managers were pinged' as good enough. It is a problem. What I am saying is that this forum is not the place to solve it, because this forum is for suggesting rule changes, and the rules are already good. If you see a tournament host failing to apply this rule correctly, take the issue with those hosts / the leaders of the section the tournament is hosted in (as these teamtours are most often unofficials, and not under direct TD control).

Last edited:

Heroic Troller

Through the Sea of Time
is a Tiering Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a defending SPL Champion
World Defender
To clarify a point, the goal has always been to get as many games done as possible, especially for playoffs settings. However trying to bend over the rule to the absolute extreme and just not show up because "the game is important so they will just give extension anyway" will not come to pass either. Games being played is very important, but respecting other's time is just as important if not more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)