My First Gen 9 OU Team

Making Regice Work

Hello, my name is Frostlord and I am a casual competitive player. I'm not the most experienced competitve player, but I have some OU experience in gens 4 and 6, but I've decided to give gen 9 a shot because I am attempting a ribbon master quest with a Regice, and I realize that means I need to reach master ball tier... with a Regice. While I understand that gen 9 OU isn't a perfect analog to online battling in SV, I figured that it will help give me the experience I need to reach master ball.

Teambuilding

My ribbon master is a Regice, so he must necessarily be on the team.
:regice:
Initially, my idea was to utilize snow, as Regice would be unbelievably bulky both physically and specially in it, leading me to add Alolan Ninetales and Galarian Slowking.
:ninetales-alola: :regice: :slowking galar:
I needed a way to add and remove hazards, so I chose Iron Treads, since he provides a strong offensive presence while not having trouble finding opportunities to setup rocks or rapid spin.
:ninetales alola::iron treads::regice: :slowking galar:
The team was lacking an offensive presence, so I added Kyurem and Dragonite, Kyurem to be a scarf user that abused the snow, and Dragonite to be a setup E-speed sweeper that covered my weaknesses well.
:ninetales alola: :iron treads: :regice: :kyurem: :dragonite: :slowking galar:
However, playing with this team made me realize that there were just too many common weaknesses, so I scrapped the snow team, and went for a more balance team approach. I left Iron Treads, Galarian Slowking, and Regice, and replaced the others with Gilmmora, Latios, and Kingambit. My lead was lacking however, so I tried Ribombee over Glimmora for a while, and ultimately settled on Deoxys-S.
:deoxys speed: :iron treads: :regice: :latios: :kingambit: :slowking galar:

Detailed Overview

The Lead

:sv/deoxys speed:

Deoxys-Speed @ Mental Herb
Ability: Pressure
Tera Type: Psychic
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Psycho Boost
- Thunder Wave

Deoxys-Speed provides a versatile lead that can provide a number of different functions depending on the opposing lead. Spikes is my default option if I'm unsure of what the opponent may do, or if their lead isn't threatening. Taunt is used to prevent enemy leads from setting up their own hazards. Psycho Boost provides and offensive option that does a surprisingly large amount of damage for not having SpA investment, damaging switch ins significantly or 2HKOing most opposing leads. I opted for thunder wave in the last slot, since I have stealth rock on Iron Treads, and it gives my otherwise rather slow team a way to control enemy speed. I wasn't sure what item to run, as deoxys is bulky enough to not need a focus sash, so I opted for mental herb to heavily punish an opposing taunt or encore. While I never terra deoxys, terra psychic is chosen to bolster psycho boost damage in a pinch.

The Offensive Support

:sv/iron treads:

Iron Treads @ Leftovers
Ability: Quark Drive
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Ice Spinner
- Stealth Rock

Iron Treads primary job is to keeps rocks off the field, and he also appreciates the speed boost from rapid spinning. Gholdengo also needs to think twice before switching into him, thanks to EQ. Earthquake acts the primary attacking move, significantly damaging anything that doesn't resist it. Ice spinner provides great coverage alongside EQ, especially against x4 weaknesses and can force the opponent into mind games as to what I will do with Iron Treads. Stealth rock is the last move, as Iron Treads gets plenty of opportunities to set it up. I opted for leftovers to increase his staying power, as rapid spin really makes life orb recoil felt, and booster energy feels wasted on a mon that is constantly switching out. Tera ghost is chosen to allow Iron Treads to become a spin blocker, while also covering his fighting weakness, and neutralizing the ground and fire ones. The EVs are invested in speed and attack to ensure he outspeeds as much a possible and has the best chance of picking up a kill.

The Tank

:sv/regice:

Regice @ Leftovers
Ability: Ice Body
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Calm Nature
- Ice Beam
- Charge Beam
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Being left to the task of making a ZU mon fit in OU is tough, but Regice actually pulls his weight quite well. I noticed his movepool actually felt thinner than in other generations, but the sleep talk set is something few teams are prepared for. The EVs and nature give Regice incredible special bulk and respectable physical bulk, and he is only truly threatened by supereffective physical attacks. Reigce comes in on something that he threatens, and then I use charge beam. Ideally I get a special attack boost, but even if not, the opponent is typically not prepared to deal with it. Ice beam does good damage to offensive pokemon even without a charge beam boost, but after one or two Regice begins to sweep. Rest is the only form of recovery Regice gets, allowing him to get back to full health and remove status. Sleep talk makes Regice functional after a rest, giving a 66% chance of Regice attacking during the sleep turns. Leftovers allows Regice to passively recover as he usually only enters the field once and remains until he is killed. Ice body furthers the passive recovery if I use chilly reception with Galarian Slowking. Tera water is used to turn the fire and steel weaknesses into resistances, and neutralize the rock and fighting ones. Regice is my most common mon to terra, as the mono-ice typing is usually a setback, but also because it a phenomenal answer into to omnipresent sun teams.

The Wallbreaker

:sv/latios:

Latios @ Soul Dew
Ability: Levitate
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Luster Purge
- Energy Ball
- Flip Turn

Latios is the premier offensive threat of the team. A timid nature and SpA and Spe investment gives a fast mon that hits hard, especially with soul dew. The soul dew also allows latios to take special attacks quite well. Draco Meteor is a free nuke into anything that isn't a fairy type. Luster purge is a no-drawback STAB move (given no dark types are around) that heavily punishes switch-ins if the special defense drop triggers. Energy ball is a nice surprise attack against ground, rock and waters. Flip turn allows latios to pivot and get chip damage in. Terra poison leaves latios with only a psychic weakness thanks to levitate.

The Cleaner

:sv/kingambit:

Kingambit @ Black Glasses
Ability: Supreme Overlord
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Kowtow Cleave
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

Kingambit is the cleaner on my team. With full physical attack and hp investment, he can sucker punch through the opposing team at the end of the game. Swords dance and Kowtow Cleave are options if the opponent opts to play mind games, while iron head provides alternate STAB coverage. Thanks to supreme overlord, Kingambit can also turn a dire situation into a victory, as I have had multiple games where he is my only mon, and sweeps 3 opposing mons to steal the win. I originally used terra dark to pair with the blackglasses to make sucker punch OHKO nearly everything, but I've instead opted for terra flying, to help cover my fighting and ground weaknesses, and also to surprise the opponent.

The Defensive Support

:sv/slowking galar:

Slowking-Galar @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Chilly Reception
- Sludge Bomb
- Thunder Wave
- Slack Off

Currently the member of the team I'm considering replacing. I invested him physically defensive because my team has good special bulk in Latios and Regice, and is lacking in the physical department. The idea is that he provides a slow pivot thanks to chilly reception and regenerator. Chilly reception allows him to be a slow pivot, while setting up snow for Regice, but also to remove sun. Sludge Bomb hits fairy and grass types, something the rest of my team can sometimes struggle to do. Thunder wave helps provide speed control, while slack off allows him to recover in front of passive mons if needed. Terra fairy is for covering the dark weakness, as he baits knock off. I have also tried toxic spikes over T-wave, but it wasn't helping against the number of high pace offensive teams I've faced. I've also considered replacing slack off with toxic or trick room. I wish he was just a little bulkier, because the T-waves and snow setup can be extremely useful.

Struggles

The two things this team struggles against are teams with large amounts of fire, ground and fighting type offense, and very fast teams. Oftentimes, sun teams utilize both, making them particularly difficult. Sun teams often require me to terra Regice relatively early to just have something to absorb massive fire attacks, which hurts me down the stretch as a lose ability to terra in another situation. Only having chilly reception to remove the sun also makes things difficult. Hisuian liliigant sweeps my team under the sun. Against teams with large amounts of very fast pokemon, thunder wave and sucker punch are usually not enough for me to handle them.
Anyways, thats it from me, any feedback is appreciated!​

I love this team! I really appreciate the thought process of how you put the team together and reworked it. I would say while the Sun matchup isn’t the easiest, if you’re super conscious about how you’re positioning your glowking it shouldn’t be the biggest issue. Try to position to force Sun away with chilly reception and put power in front of your opponent so it’s hard for them to set it back up.

If you’re having trouble with fire types (and sun) a good option you have is booster special attack agility or sub wake. This gives you a 4x fire resist while also being able to apply a lot of pressure to your opponent. I’m not sure how good it would be on the team in practice but could be worth testing.

cool build, keep up the great work!

I love this team! I really appreciate the thought process of how you put the team together and reworked it. I would say while the Sun matchup isn’t the easiest, if you’re super conscious about how you’re positioning your glowking it shouldn’t be the biggest issue. Try to position to force Sun away with chilly reception and put power in front of your opponent so it’s hard for them to set it back up.

If you’re having trouble with fire types (and sun) a good option you have is booster special attack agility or sub wake. This gives you a 4x fire resist while also being able to apply a lot of pressure to your opponent. I’m not sure how good it would be on the team in practice but could be worth testing.

cool build, keep up the great work!
Thank you for the reply! I'm starting to learn at least a little bit how to time the chilly reception with Galarian Slowking, when I manage to pull it off my team definitely has the advantage over a sun team.
I'll give Walking Wake a shot, I'm guessing over Latios because of his similiar function. It might also help against sun teams by taking advantage of protosynthesis.

Thank you for the reply! I'm starting to learn at least a little bit how to time the chilly reception with Galarian Slowking, when I manage to pull it off my team definitely has the advantage over a sun team.
I'll give Walking Wake a shot, I'm guessing over Latios because of his similiar function. It might also help against sun teams by taking advantage of protosynthesis.
yes over latios, I forgot to add that my bad haha

I feel like adding Great Tusk over Iron Treads could help with your team’s weaknesses to Ground and Fire. You can also use it as Speed control with maximum Speed EV investment and a Jolly nature + Booster Energy, which helps with your weakness to fast offence.

The set I thought of is as follows (however, I’m not very versed in Gen 9 OU nor particularly good):

Great Tusk @ Booster Energy
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Water/Poison
EVs: 252 HP/4 Atk/252 Spe
Nature: Jolly
- Headlong Rush/Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Spinner/Knock Off
- Rapid Spin

I’m not very good with Tera types but I figured that Water has a valuable Ice resist and Poison is immune to Toxic + could be an emergency Tspikes absorber. ^ ^

I feel like adding Great Tusk over Iron Treads could help with your team’s weaknesses to Ground and Fire. You can also use it as Speed control with maximum Speed EV investment and a Jolly nature + Booster Energy, which helps with your weakness to fast offence.

The set I thought of is as follows (however, I’m not very versed in Gen 9 OU nor particularly good):

Great Tusk @ Booster Energy
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Water/Poison
EVs: 252 HP/4 Atk/252 Spe
Nature: Jolly
- Headlong Rush/Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Spinner/Knock Off
- Rapid Spin

I’m not very good with Tera types but I figured that Water has a valuable Ice resist and Poison is immune to Toxic + could be an emergency Tspikes absorber. ^ ^
I'll give it a shot, thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)