Project Doubles Oldgens Scheduled Room Tournaments [ON HOLD / Looking for Showdown tour host bot...]

ryo yamada2001

ryo yamada2001
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

art by 13ulbasaur
Introducing scheduled old generation Doubles room tournaments!
This is a points-based monthly tournament for old Doubles metagames played in the Smogon Doubles room on Pokémon Showdown. There will be two single-elimination tournaments a day: one at 8pm GMT+2 and another at 8pm GMT-4. Winners of every tournament will be awarded 3 points; finalists 2 points, and semifinalists 1 point. This leaderboard is kept by Officer Jenny in the Doubles room; the player with most points at the end of each monthly cycle will be awarded the ^Prize Winner role on Pokémon Showdown!

The times will remain the same every day, but the tiers rotate daily and weekly as to give everyone as much opportunity to play.
The tournament schedule for April is as follows:
Link to schedule

DPP DOU also hosts weekly double-elimination tournaments on Sunday at 1am GMT+2; these do not count towards the points leaderboard, however.

Good luck to all our old generation gamers!

Last edited:

ryo yamada2001

ryo yamada2001
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
We are now officially a week into our scheduled room tournament cycle! I would like to thank everybody for showing up and making this a successful project thus far -- we've been able to gather at least 10 people for almost every tournament so far!

Here are the standings so far:

(note that the sheet is maintained manually and is more consistent than the bot's leaderboard)
A major shoutout to Bless who managed to win three tournaments this week! No other player managed to win even two so far.

Here are the winners for week 1's tournaments:

The upcoming tournaments schedule is in the opening post. We won't have the same tiers on the same days, so double check if you're curious about particular tiers! Speaking of which, we have roles in the Doubles Discord #role-channel; be notified when your favorite room tournaments go up so you don't miss any chance at points! :froth:

Now that we're a week into the cycle I have a few questions:
1. Should these tournaments be double elimination? I think players appreciate single elimination's brevity, but it might also feel underwhelming to be knocked out after one bad matchup. I personally lean towards keeping it single elimination and hosting other non-points tournaments throughout the day as to not overwhelm players with long tournaments.

2. Have the other tournament rules been fine so far? I noticed that some people were a bit late, despite tournament autostart being set to 5 minutes. Should it be set to 10 minutes or is this too long?

3. We have additional slots in our schedule, which are currently filled by extra old generation tournaments. However, we could also take this opportunity to include other tiers, such as Doubles UU. What would people like to see in this slot most; oldgens or other metagames?

4. Has it been fun?

Teals

Banned deucer.
1. I'd say keep it single elim. These aren't incredibly serious tours and I think with how many there are, anyone can make up ground despite losing to hax/matchup in one tourney. Multiple double elim tournies could start to feel like a chore and could result in less people joining.

2. I have only played in like, 2 room tours as of late but I try to watch games when I can. From what I observe tho, things seem just fine as is. Personally I think with tours being scheduled people should be able to adjust their own schedule around the tournies and that 5 minutes is a fair window to log on.

3. My own opinion here, but I feel old gens are more fun than the entirety of sv, so I'd obviously want more old Gen stuff. However I know there are dedicated dubers, duu and dlc players and I'm sure they'd appreciate more of those formats being played. Featuring duu/dubers/dlc in some way is probably the call.

4. Yes. Despite not being able to partake in many tours I have enjoyed watching on the sidelines and appreciate the attempt to keep people interested in old gens. Keep up the good work.

Noelle

Trying my best
is a Community Contributor
1.) I would prefer double elim. Single elim is shorter but single elim bo1 feels terrible in a game like mons. There's so much variance caused by hax and matchups that I think double elim is the most competitive format that's still reasonably accessible and not too long.

2.) I think the start times are fine, but I don't really see a downside to changing the start time to 10 minutes. All the other rules are fine

3.) The point of the tournament is to increase interest in oldgens, so more oldgens stuff just seems logical to me. I'm biased though because I think DUbers is very unfun (Dondozo moment) and DUU changing every few weeks makes it an extremely volatile meta that never really has time to settle into anything

4.) YES! I love oldgens (though I haven't played in many of the tournaments because I've been busy with life stuff + DPL), and I think roomtours are casual enough to not be stressful, but still competitive. I enjoy :D

This project is a very good idea, thank you for not letting oldgens die (they're very epic) :D

Farfromani

Your average Kimono Girl
is a Tiering Contributor
1. Despite being longer I would prefer double elimination after all. Single elimination is awful: makes everything incredibly matchup-dependant, doesn't really give any opportunity for new players to learn the metas and makes the more experienced players very salty when they lose to hax.
2. Ruling-wise, I'm pretty happy with the status quo.
3. I don't really enjoy current DUbers but all other tiers (DUU, DNU, Oldgen DUU, oldgen DOU, oldgen DUbers, CAP doubles) are welcomed personally.
4. It is fun, although I believe it would be even funnier with the improvement I've previously stated in section 1.

Last edited:

ryo yamada2001

ryo yamada2001
A huge congratulations to Lolk for winning the April cycle!
By joining tours with an incredible consistency and placing highly with unique teams and excellent meta reads, Lolk ended up far and away with the most points this month! This makes him a pretty big deal and that's why he was awarded the room tournament winner role on Discord!

A major shoutout to bage1 for coming in second with 30 points, Bless third with 27 points, Iceberg77 fourth with 26 points, and Farfromani fifth with 24 points. Thank you to everybody else who participated in the tournament cycle! I hope to see you all again next month.

Here are all the tournament winners of the April cycle:

The top three (Lolk, bage1, and Bless) all won 6 tournaments; Sunrose bookended the April cycle with wins in ADV and BW, respectively.

Here are all the players who earned 5 or more points during the April cycle:

Here is the full standings sheet
Lolk earned the most points in SS (10) and Actuarily came in second (8). Both of them won 2 SS tournaments each.
bage1 and commutative shared the most points in SM (7), with the both of them also winning 2 SM tournaments each.
Lolk was the only person to score more than 5 points in XY (7).
Lolk, Farfromani, and LOP DF Tarjete shared most points earned in BW (7).
bage1 was the best DPP performer with 8 points, while Sunrose followed closely with 7 points.
Lolk also topped the ADV leaderboard with 11 points, followed by Iceberg77 (9) and bage1 (8).

Here is the schedule for the May cycle:

And as always, if anyone has any feedback for the scheduled room tournaments I would love to hear! Looking forward to seeing everybody compete again next week!

ryo yamada2001

ryo yamada2001

Congratulations to AIRedzone for winning the May cycle!

Here are all the winners of the May cycle tournament:

Congratulations to the rest of the podium and to DaWoblefet in particular for winning the most tournaments out of anyone this cycle.
Best performers:
ADV: Sunrose (6 points)
DPP: AIRedzone (11 points)
BW: DaWoblefet (13 points)
XY: Alexia B. (7 points)
SM: AIRedzone & DaWoblefet (5 points)
SS: Teals, MausHoldMyHand, Sunrose & Jterry (4 points)

The schedule was a bit wacky this month but that should be resolved next month, with the following schedule:

ryo yamada2001

ryo yamada2001
Congratulations to griffedulion for winning the June cycle with a whopping 52 points! That's a new monthly record!

Here are all the winners for the June cycle:

Congratulations to the rest of the podium and congratulations to griffedulion and ryo yamada2001 for setting the record for most tournaments won in a month!
Best performers:
ADV:
Farfromani (9 points)
DPP: ryo yamada2001 (17 points - new record for most points in any tier in a month!)
BW: DaWoblefet (13 points)
XY: griffedulion (11 points)
SM: Penter (10 points)
SS: griffedulion (10 points)

The room tour schedule for July is as follows:

Note that the tournaments marked yellow will not count towards points for the end of the month.

Make sure to visit the #roles-channel in the Doubles Discord to select roles to get pinged for specific room tournaments whenever they go up!

ryo yamada2001

ryo yamada2001
Congratulations to Farfromani for winning the July roomtour cycle, completely eclipsing the previous record by 30 points!

Best performers:
ADV: Farfromani (17 points) - new record!
DPP: bage1 (12 points)
BW: Farfromani (18 points) - new record!
XY: Farfromani (19 points) - new record! Most points in any given tier in one month
SM: Farfromani (9 points)
SS: Smudge (16 points) - new record!

The tournament schedule for August will be as follows:

This month might be a little bit wonky because we'll have to start the tournaments manually. If a tournament does not go up as expected, please ping me or any other driver, mod, or roomowner in the Doubles room or on Doubles discord.

Good luck competing this month everyone!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)