SV OU azu/kyurem webs (1500)

pokepaste: https://pokepast.es/bd2d7c28d7e7c4ef

Long time semi serious player hoping to break out of 1500. This is a webs team that aims to put a bunch of holes in things so gambit can clean up. I feel like not only does my team have some matchup/type weaknesses I haven't been able to patch, it also doesn't have opportunities for turns with big risk, big reward other than gambit sd. As someone who mostly played the game before boots were invented, the way hazards play now feels very different and confusing.

:ribombee:
RIBAMBE! (Ribombee) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Shield Dust
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sticky Web
- Moonblast
- Skill Swap
- Stun Spore
Usual lead, takes a little time to memorize what route of the decision tree to go down. Moonblast is no joke and can OHKO tusk, leading into a good mu even though it is a spinner. Glim and Darkrai can be annoying as they are usually sash and can mortal spin or outspeed you. Stun spore can sometimes stop a setup lead from completely blowing the team up. Skill swap can lead to fun plays against ogerpon-water and tran, but moonblast does very little damage back so it ends up resulting in a weird stalemate. Against gliscor, you can webs on their protect when they activate their orb, then ss in the case they sd so they get put on a timer. Having the sash intact (or 70%+) can be helpful late game to get a fast strong moonblast off. This mon will usually do its job of getting webs up, which I'm happy with, and sometimes is able to get extra credit, but webs don't seem as powerful as I was hoping. Lots of boots mon/flying dudes, or the speed is otherwise negligible like against stall.

:azumarill:
zhu (Azumarill) @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off
- Superpower
I love azu and think it has a great place in the meta. Great defensive typing and ability to make progress against a multitude of counters makes it strong for early game. I tried assault vest when I thought my other members couldn't handle special attacks. I also tried belly drum to take advantage of free turns and webs, but aqua jet just doesn't hit the same way it used to, especially because your opponent can always just tera something and be faster to get out of a pinch. Knock off can be nice but removing the boots on a hazard remover doesn't help if they're already in and able to spin. superpower wins the 1v1 against gambit and chunks heatran/is generally very strong. No need for ice spinner, but maybe liquidation would be wise? Jet lets me play a little more silly against opposing setup sweepers, since as long as I can get them down to sash (and not in psy terrain) there's no need to play sucker punch mindgames.

:kyurem:
*beams* (Kyurem) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pressure
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
Maybe some commentary on my playstyle that may be obvious or help with teambuilding- I like forcing progress. Between webs and the bulk on a lot of these guys, I like knowing that once I'm in, I'm getting at least 40%. Fire tera is good for fairies and steel moves, and kyurem can easily surprise steels with focus blast. Ice beam and draco generally force progress, and freeze dry is in some cases my first and last line of defense against bulky waters. The speed is good when combined with webs to get the jump on faster mons. Webs is nice because switch ins often either 1. get slowed by webs and can't take two hits or 2. are boots and drop to one hit. Blissey shuts this guy down hard, which is where azu can come in, but without rocks the opponent can just keep switching. With freeze dry, this guy comes in the mid game and tries to soften everything for gambit, and you can sometimes tera to get an extra kill (-2 draco still kills pult, darts doesn't kill once you're fire). Not having boots for rocks can be costly against stall, where kyurem is expected to pick up some slack from the other members.

:great tusk:
Great Tusk @ Booster Energy
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Ice Spinner
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off
- Headlong Rush
Tusk gets rid of hazards, kills golden joe with knock, and can sweep in the late game with a good spin if your coverage is in your favor. I noticed people usually have multiple answers to this guy, so having spinner and knock allow me to continue attacking and get some use out of my booster energy early in the game when checks are healthy. With azu taking special hits, tusk can take more of the physical hits. Tusk can also be a good lead if your opponent picks something like tran or glim which would beat ribombee.

:iron moth:
Iron Moth @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fiery Dance
- Substitute
- Sludge Wave
- Psychic
Had a hard time filing this spot, originally had bulky np/recover gholdengo, but moth having setup potential with fiery dance and sub lets me make better use of free turns. The team has no hazard removal, hence the boots, and having coverage for things like skarm/amoongus/other stall threats felt helpful. My team felt very fairy weak, which sludge wave helps patch up. The idea is to have a mon that can steal a game during the middle of the game with setup. I did consider volcarona. Psychic can surprise tusk and mons that tera poison with levitate like cress and lati.

:kingambit:
Lightning McQueen (Kingambit) @ Black Glasses
Ability: Supreme Overlord
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Kowtow Cleave (kachow cleave?)
- Iron Head
Once you realize you've been outplayed to heck, use tera on something that would earthquake you and sd. With webs and force progress from the rest of the team, gambit cleans up. Double knock off is not only good for removing items, but scouting what kinds of sets opponents will be, allowing you to know when to bring the big guy in. Slowking-galar walls a lot of the rest of the team bar tusk, so that's a situation to come in early to kowtow. I feel pretty confident with my sucker punch plays as well, which is helpful again for stopping opposing sweepers that snowball out of control.

Weaknesses:
Stall can be really bad if your opponent has the right guys. Without rocks and against regen, it can be hard to make meaningful progress. I'm used to a meta where a setup sweeper can beat stall but with so many good unaware mons in the meta that doesn't seem possible anymore.
Darkrai can be trouble if ribombee's sash is broken, as ice beam will beat tusk, and the coverage does well into everyone else.
Ogerpon can be trouble if webs aren't up and it has play rough. Kyurem will always ohko but having it get chipped too many times can let opon go nuts.
Generally, the team depends on gambit too much, who can sometimes rely on tera too much. I need something else strong to take advantage of webs and help me beat Big Stall but every member seems to fill a crucial role.

replays: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-2112788784

Thanks for reading

Last edited:

dawn to the dusk

during the tough day
is a Social Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Hello my friend, I would like to give the following advice for your team, the sticky net is not only set up everything is fine, you also need to keep it on the field, and apply enough offensive pressure to the opponent, for cb Azumarill, it does have enough firepower but it is easy to be tested by the opponent's protect. iron moth and Kingambit are undoubtedly suitable for this team's style, at least you also need the ability to fight opponents outside the sticky web, for example, when the opponent has a lot of Pokemon are not affected by the sticky web. You also need to be able to attack and defend, like when Meowscarada knocks you off, there's nothing you can do.
comeback clan (pokepast.es)
dragapult gives your team the ability to attack even without sticyweb and also acts as a spinblocker to some extent, while its jammer can be configured with kingambit's tere fairy and tereblast against boots zama. Rillaboom provides teams with the ability to save the field, as well as the ability to use ut or knock off to better clear the field for teammates. Hatterene can be a formidable clearing man in the sticky net, and its counterattack ability can be greatly displayed when the opponent's speed is reduced.

Hello my friend, I would like to give the following advice for your team, the sticky net is not only set up everything is fine, you also need to keep it on the field, and apply enough offensive pressure to the opponent, for cb Azumarill, it does have enough firepower but it is easy to be tested by the opponent's protect. iron moth and Kingambit are undoubtedly suitable for this team's style, at least you also need the ability to fight opponents outside the sticky web, for example, when the opponent has a lot of Pokemon are not affected by the sticky web. You also need to be able to attack and defend, like when Meowscarada knocks you off, there's nothing you can do.
comeback clan (pokepast.es)
dragapult gives your team the ability to attack even without sticyweb and also acts as a spinblocker to some extent, while its jammer can be configured with kingambit's tere fairy and tereblast against boots zama. Rillaboom provides teams with the ability to save the field, as well as the ability to use ut or knock off to better clear the field for teammates. Hatterene can be a formidable clearing man in the sticky net, and its counterattack ability can be greatly displayed when the opponent's speed is reduced.
Thanks for the reply, I tried pult at one point but it doesn't really do well as a spinblocker and I like Iron Moth's sweeping potential a bit more, although I have not tried a hex set. Not sure what you mean by "counterattack ability" from hat when its speed is still so slow. Tera poison on tusk is something I didn't consider that I will switch too. I also really like azu so I am hoping to keep it and build around it a little more, although I agree rillaboom may be a better choice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)